PDA

View Full Version : will be sanding down my 200G grip soon

ilanious
06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
at 4 5/8 it's way too big. I used to like big grips but no longer, it should be a 1/2 or 3/8's. I'm just gonna go for the old sand papering. I have two, so, if i screw up one i still have the other.

im not sure what else to do, i just dont like the way it feels anymore and im not buying a new racquet

martin
06-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Then you also have to put the weight back that you lost by sanding down the gripsize.

samster
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
sounds dangerous, I wouldn't do it.

samster
why don't you get a thinner replacement grip?

GS
Just go easy, and carefully---go with a medium-fine sandpaper with a narrow block of wood over it---then you'll sand even bevels. Of course, first take off the buttcap, but keep the stapels.
It can be done, but you gotta be careful. If you're really going down 2 sizes, then you need a smaller buttcap later.

gsquicksilver
06-02-2008, 10:37 AM
where are you located and what is the condition of the max 200g? i think i would be up for a trade cuz i have a few that have small grip sizes. let me check my stock.

i'm in southern cali.

Pro_Tour_630
06-02-2008, 10:58 AM
depending which 200G there is a plastic ring around the grip just above the butt cap be care full. Just do not rush it and do one side at a time evenly, count how many time you go back and forth and repeat on all 8 sides unless you want to change the grip shape, IMO no need for a smaller but cap or added weight,

martin
06-02-2008, 11:37 AM
where are you located and what is the condition of the max 200g? i think i would be up for a trade cuz i have a few that have small grip sizes. let me check my stock.

i'm in southern cali.

Did he mention the max 200g? I didn't think so.

markwillplay
06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I sanded my gtip on my Donnay OS1/2 to make it close to 3/8. Did not hurt a thing and made it perfect. I did the same thing to a yonex 002 tour and made the grip just a wee smaller and it worked perfectly. Aslo, if you do not sand much, you will not have to add hardly any weight to the handle. Go for it, not that big a deal if you don't have to sand too much. Sand a little and get a thinner replacement grip...no trouble.

gsquicksilver
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Did he mention the max 200g? I didn't think so.

he did say 200g.

martin
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
he did say 200g.

So you have a max 200g(Graf, Mcenroe) and he has a 200g which are different rackets.

meh
06-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Here's a tip to sand more evenly: draw a line with a sharpie down each bevel before you sand it. You'll sand more evenly if you count your strokes and sand until the sharpie marks are gone for each bevel.

gsquicksilver
06-02-2008, 12:47 PM
So you have a max 200g(Graf, Mcenroe) and he has a 200g which are different rackets.

they are different?

wait, dunlop came out with newer 200's? i never knew.

VGP
06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

After the Max 200g there was the Revelation 200g, Muscle Weave 200g, and the Hot Melt 200g.....

Then followed by the M-fil 200 and not the Aerogel 200.

gsquicksilver
06-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

After the Max 200g there was the Revelation 200g, Muscle Weave 200g, and the Hot Melt 200g.....

Then followed by the M-fil 200 and not the Aerogel 200.

seriously, i don't know.

as you can tell on my sig, i'm a wilson guy. the only dunlop racquets i have and kept up with are the max series.

anirut
06-02-2008, 04:25 PM
ilanious,

You CAN sand down the grip. No problem. Now, just read the following in detail.

Equipment:
- Sandpaper (of course).
- A vernier scale (just make sure you know how to use it).
- Another racket of the grip size you want to obtain.

Before you begin sanding anything off, measure the dimensions of the desired grip size/shape of the other racket and note down the numbers in detail.

The trick to have an equally sanded grip is that you sand away HALF the measured dimension of each side.

For example, the desired dimension you want to have is 33 mm. and what you have on your racket is 34.2 mm., the difference is 1.2 mm., so you sand away 0.6 mm on each side.

And how would you know you've reached that half dimension. Just use simple math. 34.2-0.6 = 33.6. Just sand on ONE SIDE until you reach this half dimension. Then sand the half dimension on the other side to get to the desired dimension.

Do it ONE SIDE AT A TIME.

Now, the techniques:

1. You should never sand the grip by sanding "on" it. You should sceurely place the sandpaper "underneath" on a flat surface and spread out the sandpaper. Then put your weight on the grip, and slide it on the sandpaper.

This way, you will have an evenly sanded side as you will be sanding the side all at once. Sanding "on top" will be putting different amount of pressure at different points at different times and you may end up with a grip with uneven surface. (I've tried all sorts of tricks, believe me.)

2. Measure the grip after EVERY sanding to see if you've reached at the HALF of the difference.

3. DO NOT sand the part where the buttcap will be placed or you'll end up with a loose butt. (Yes, you can somehow make it tight, but that would result in added weight.)

That's all there is to sanding the grip. The rest, use your grey matter.

Good luck!

Fedace
06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
why don't you get a thinner replacement grip?

Better yet, don't put on any replacement grip at all. Just use the overgrip on top

Fedace
06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
at 4 5/8 it's way too big. I used to like big grips but no longer, it should be a 1/2 or 3/8's. I'm just gonna go for the old sand papering. I have two, so, if i screw up one i still have the other.

im not sure what else to do, i just dont like the way it feels anymore and im not buying a new racquet

Impossible, never ever an amateur should do this. Send it to bosworth tennis, they will do it for you.

max
06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Not to be a putz, but why not? As long as he makes it feel comfortable to his grip, it matters not whether it's an exact 4 1/2 or perhaps something even more suited to his hand! It's just a tennis racquet.

symon_say
06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
ilanious,

You CAN sand down the grip. No problem. Now, just read the following in detail.

Equipment:
- Sandpaper (of course).
- A vernier scale (just make sure you know how to use it).
- Another racket of the grip size you want to obtain.

Before you begin sanding anything off, measure the dimensions of the desired grip size/shape of the other racket and note down the numbers in detail.

The trick to have an equally sanded grip is that you sand away HALF the measured dimension of each side.

For example, the desired dimension you want to have is 33 mm. and what you have on your racket is 34.2 mm., the difference is 1.2 mm., so you sand away 0.6 mm on each side.

And how would you know you've reached that half dimension. Just use simple math. 34.2-0.6 = 33.6. Just sand on ONE SIDE until you reach this half dimension. Then sand the half dimension on the other side to get to the desired dimension.

Do it ONE SIDE AT A TIME.

Now, the techniques:

1. You should never sand the grip by sanding "on" it. You should sceurely place the sandpaper "underneath" on a flat surface and spread out the sandpaper. Then put your weight on the grip, and slide it on the sandpaper.

This way, you will have an evenly sanded side as you will be sanding the side all at once. Sanding "on top" will be putting different amount of pressure at different points at different times and you may end up with a grip with uneven surface. (I've tried all sorts of tricks, believe me.)

2. Measure the grip after EVERY sanding to see if you've reached at the HALF of the difference.

3. DO NOT sand the part where the buttcap will be placed or you'll end up with a loose butt. (Yes, you can somehow make it tight, but that would result in added weight.)

That's all there is to sanding the grip. The rest, use your grey matter.

Good luck!

What number of sand paper should we use for this. 80, 150, 200, or what??

anirut
06-02-2008, 06:15 PM
What number of sand paper should we use for this. 80, 150, 200, or what??

Sorry, I don't remember the numbers. I go by feel. Not too rough, not too fine. All I remembered was I got to the hardware store, asked for "not-too-rough sandpaper" and choose from there.

Too rough and it'll eat up the grip too fast. Too fine and nothing'll happen.

BTW, guys, be careful with the angles. Don't round them off.

symon_say
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
150 will be then.

In D Zone
06-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Are located in the US? If Yes.

Email me at nwconnecxion@yahoo.com - I can give you some useful information that may be help to solve your problem.