PDA

View Full Version : How does the speedport tour play?

tigerlance240
06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Just wondering what the pros and cons of thie prince speedport tour are.
Thanks

NLBwell
06-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I thought it hit like a piece of tin and put it down in about 2 minutes, but that's just me.

bladepdb
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Pros:
- Very soft feel, I absolutely love it (even though I don't play with the racquet; I've demoed it for about two weeks though). Some people prefer a more crisp feel though.
- Tremendous power from an easy-to-swing frame that just rips right through the air and the ball.
- With that power comes a nice amount of top spin on the ball.

Overall it does live up to its claims of fast swing speeds and power and spin on the ball.

Cons:
- The biggest one...it really rips through the ball and if you can't control it, it'll fly all over the place.
- If you want to switch between the two separate grommet attachments, you have to get your racquet freshly restrung, which would suck if you had a nice string on it the first time but didn't like the way the grommets played...a mistake I made with natural gut lol.

2nd_Serve
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
It feels really soft, I loved how it felt. Spin and power was there. Control was there, but you really needed to have the right swing. As said above ^^, the ball will fly on you, but thats only if you swung it wrong, so IMO, I think you can't blame it on your racket anymore if you get this. But of course, I found the power a little too much.

tigerlance240
06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
I am familiar with the head line up. Which head racquets (feel free to mention other brands), does the speedport pro equate to in terms of power?

tigerlance240
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM
err, I meant tour not "pro"

bladepdb
06-02-2008, 08:42 PM
As far as power goes, I find the Speedport is in its own class. For a racquet that's relatively as light as the Speedport Tour, it's hard to match one from the Head family that has comparable power. In fact, you would probably have to go OS to get a comparable power from the Head line in my opinion.

bladepdb
06-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Or you could go Metallix, which I absolutely despise because it's about as far from a player's racquet as I've gone in a while lol.

galain
06-02-2008, 08:57 PM
For those of you saying its a soft racquet, is it flexible or doesit feel soft because it's muted?

I've hit with the old O3 Red and O3 Tour and they were quite stiff frames that had a very muted feel, which a friend of mine was mistaking as flexible.

[d]ragon
06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
pros:
-soft feel. a very comfortable racquet with a very large sweetspot
-good spin. nice slice and topspin potential
-controllable power on strokes and serves. very nice serving stick
-pretty good volleying stick. manueverable with good pop

cons:
-muted feel. especially on the serve. i couldnt feel the ball being crushed but i could definitely see the ball explode off the court
-stabiltiy is only so so. i think the speedports are to blame for this. noticeable on the volleys although the comfort helps abit

jonolau
06-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Nice views here. Any comparison of the SP Tour vs SP Black vs SP Pro White?

tigerlance240
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Also, does anybody know how the SP Tour compares to the prototype prince racquets ( Prince SP POG, NXG or whatever its supposed to be), and do these have a scheduled release date yet?

momich1
06-04-2008, 01:39 PM
i play with sp tours
great power and top on forehands
sweet bakchands
good serves
kinda lacking on volleys but im a baseliner
overall player racquwet suitd best twoards players with big topspin strokes

El Guapo
06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
For those of you saying its a soft racquet, is it flexible or doesit feel soft because it's muted?

I've hit with the old O3 Red and O3 Tour and they were quite stiff frames that had a very muted feel, which a friend of mine was mistaking as flexible.
If you think that the O3 Tour MP is stiff, you're all alone on that one.

samej07
06-04-2008, 08:26 PM
felt very very flexible to me. i disliked that enough to put it down after only a few minutes.

tlm
09-27-2008, 10:15 AM
It feels strange at first, but if you are a baseliner that hits a lot of ts stay with it. Now that i am used to this stick it is unbelievable, great comfort, great spin+serve. This racquet has great control to me, i dont understand anyone saying that it is to powerful.

NickC
09-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I thought the SP Tour felt alright. I was able to rip a few serves when I got going, but the kicker wasn't working so well with the frame. Slices serves were alright as well. Forehands and backhands were good, but felt a little strange with the grommets inserted. I didn't like the feeling with the classic grommets inserted. Felt strange, because I swung fast, but didn't get the response that one would typically associate with swinging fast.

pfchang
09-27-2008, 11:42 AM
i was a former SPT user before switching to the blades. i have to say, the racket was very forgiving and extremely well suited for my baseline spin game at the time. the feel was decent, but nothing compared to Wilson sticks and was probably due to the Oports. I found out that i do prefer precision over general control, and that led me to my current stick.