PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Warehouse: A Question for Ryan S about his Donnay Pro One Oversize review

AndrewD
06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
TW,

Ryan S is the reviewer whose game is closest to mine so I always pay close attention to his comments. In the Donnay Pro One Oversize review, Ryan S said that he had trouble with the racquet when volleying and that the response was 'muddy', 'muddled', hard to control and not as good as he was expecting. Is it possible he could expand on that a little bit or clarify exactly what it was he found troublesome when volleying ? His other comments about it are really encouraging but as I play so much of my tennis up at net I can't afford to go with something that doesn't shine on the volley. Also curious to know if he had the same issues with power (or lack of) as Danny.

Sorry to ask but I can't demo (live in Australia) so need to squeeze as much as possible out of the review.

TW Staff
06-03-2008, 11:26 AM
For me, I looked at the Donnay Pro One oversize with a super big smile
thinking to myself that this racquet is going to be awesome at the net given
it's specifications. I think it was more of just a let down rather than
this racquet doesn't volley well. I think I had my expectations up so high
for it on the volleys that it really never had a chance of meeting them.
Kind of like the anticipation for the newer Star Wars movies. Based upon
what is known, you make an analysis in your mind about what it's going to be
like, but then really, the thing has no chance of meeting it!

About the "muddy" response. At contact I felt as if I didn't have the
control (and this means more "feel" rather than missing shots) that I
thought I would given what I already knew of the racquet. Basically, it
just didn't meet expectations again. The muddy response was more of a mushy
response rather than a crisp response. I felt the ball would not have as
much "pop" as I expected when I punched a volley. It wasn't bad by any
means, again just not what I thought. The control aspect or lack of control
that I mentioned had more to do with this "mushiness" rather than not
actually being able to hit the ball where I wanted. I actually still had
great accuracy, but I didn't feel like I was going to when actually making
contact for the shot. I tend to like a little stiffer racquet because I
like this crisp feeling at net, so I shouldn't have been too surprised that
the racquet was a little more on the mushy side!

As far as power, yes, I had power issues. However, the control and amount
of spin generated by the racquet made up for this power dip. I was able to
swing free and get massive spin on the serve and forehand. It made it easy
to get to net and put yourself in a great position to win the point. Danny
is a very different player than me. He is very consistent and is one of the
best people I've played with from the baseline. But he doesn't prefer the
volley game that it seems you do, and I do.

I hope this helps you. I hope that this doesn't turn you off to the racquet
because it really does volley well and has great accuracy. Just not the
"feel" that I thought I was going to get. Let me know if you have any more
questions.

Ryan S.

AndrewD
06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Ryan,

Many thanks for the detailed reply, it's greatly appreciated.

Although it doesn't necessarily turn me off the Pro One OS, I just don't think I'll be able to take a chance on it. I was using the Volkl t10 mp Gen2 (gather Danny uses that one) and, while I loved the spin, comfort and performance off the ground, I just found that, on serve, it was missing those extra couple of kmph that allow you, not to blow a hole in the receiver (a' la the Pure Drive), but to put them on the back foot. Couldn't afford to have the same situation occur with the Pro One although, unfortunately, in the oversize bracket there doesn't seem to be much else. The only other two candidates I've tried, the POGOS and Agassi LE, were just too sluggish up at net for my taste.

That being the case, my only other question would be, 'is there anything else you could recommend in the oversize category that has the feel missing, on volley, in the Pro One and just a touch more pop on serve?

nickb
06-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Take a look at the Avery M5 Oversize...very nice feel on the volley and a great all round frame.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCAVERY-AM5OS.html

Nick

AndrewD
06-05-2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks Nick but I live in Australia and can't demo the Avery out here. Far too expensive to take a punt on but thanks anyway.

TW Staff
06-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Andrew,

You should also consider racquets in the 105sq in. to 106sq. in. range as it will open up a few more options.

Such as:
Fischer M Pro Number One 105 Racquets 179.99
Info at: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=MP1105

Wilson K Factor KBlade Team Racquets 189.00
Info at: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=KBLADT

Both are light enough to leave you plenty of room to add weight if needed and in stock form are very quick at net.

Chris, TW.

AndrewD
06-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Chris and Ryan,

Thanks very much for the replies and the racquet suggestions. I particularly appreciate your assistance and advice given how busy you are with TW business. Again, thanks.

After reading and re-reading the various TW reviews (and board posts) I'm going to give either, or both, the TT Warrior OS and Flexpoint Radical OS a try. They're different enough so that, if neither is a perfect match it will still show me which traits I need most - spin, power, etc. Also, they're both quite comfortable which is very useful as I do spend a lot of time just feeding shots.

Thanks again.

dreydey
06-05-2008, 11:14 PM
ryan i know that chris loved the racquet, what is it that he liked the most about this racquet and also i noticed its his 2nd favorite racquet, and also troy, what is it he liked about this racquet and i noticed on his profile its one of his favorite racquets. thank you

TW Staff
06-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I have a long history with the racquet as I used it while at the NBTA and when in college. What I enjoy most about the racquet is it feels solid to me from every spot on the court. Power and spin are great -- as is stability and comfort. Unlike Ryan, I love the feel of the racquet at net. To me it feels mobile with excellent punch.

Chris, TW.

dreydey
06-06-2008, 03:10 PM
thanks for info chris, i appreciate i feel the same way with the racquet and i just purchased 3 from you guys after demoing the racquet, by any chance is there a string setup you recommend or what works good with this racquet with the experience you had with it, cause i do have arm problems, i usually use the technifibre xone biphase 16 but i wanted to try something different with the donnays and had them strung with babolat tonic + nastural gut 16 two at 59lbs and one at 58lbs ...and also did you use lead with this racquet cause i was thinking of putting lead at 3 and 9 oclock...

thanks chris