PDA

View Full Version : Prince Speedport red upgrade

dgoldman
06-03-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm currently a 3.0 and moving quickly to 3.5, Im 39 yrs old and spending as much time as I can to improve my game (10-12 hours a week with two lessons a week) and working on a semi-western forehand usually ends up being a modeified eastern. I'd like to start playing in some leagues as soon as I can.

My dilemma is that I just started playing in the fall and have no idea what racquet to pick. I've been using a Prince speedport red and as a backup I bought a dunlop 9k.

I strung the prince with wilson nxt 17 @ 62lbs. I cannot tell if its enough power because I miss hit a lot but I'm guessing I need to drop the tension down a notch or two.

Anyhow, I kinda like the o3 however I would like some advice on choices of racquets that would fit my level and growth. I picked the o3 red one up just by reading TW descriptions on racquets.

After reading the forums I am demoing the following: dunlop 500 tour, pure drive, and dunlop 300. Are these decent choices to look at? Any advice? Demoing is very hard for me. I've looked at a lot of racquets but it's so hard for me to tell differences.

thanks in advance!

bladepdb
06-03-2008, 05:49 AM
The best way to go about it is to try as many different racquets as you like.If you think a racquet might offer what you want (power, maneuverability, control, etc.) just try it out.

The Prince racquets are very good for your level, and I think if you're mis-hitting a lot with the Speedport, chances are you might want to re-check your technique because I found the Speedport to generate very clean power at 60 lbs when I demo'ed it(62 is not too far off from 60). The Prince racquets do demand a good technique, otherwise errors will be very exaggerated due to the ease with which the balls bounce off the stringbed. If you think you have good technique but the Speedport is just not right for you, the O3 Tour is a little more controllable, and if you want to stick with Prince but find even the O3 demanding, try one of the Hybrids that Prince has. They're great racquets if you have the right technique for them.

A good thing to do is to go with "basic" racquets, which I think you have already done. By basic I don't mean a racquet with the bare minimum, but rather one that has a decent all-around ability rather than specializing in serve/volley/spin/etc. The Pure Drive and the Dunlop models were a good place to start. From there, see what qualities of these racquets you prefer and delve deeper into racquet choices.

I played with the Pure Storm and found that to be a very nice racquet for a developing game. It's fairly simple and has few technologies like the Dunlop models, but it works beautifully on ground strokes. It helps to have an established service motion with this, but it is overall a nicely maneuverable and stable racquet. Pure Drive is not too different from the Pure Storm, but I found the Cortex system to be a bad thing on the Pure Drive. You might prefer it, though.

The Wilson [K]Factor racquets are also pretty good for a growing game. The [K]Blade 98 and [K]Pro Tour are light, maneuverable racquets if you want to try the Wilson family.

Of course, these are your preferences, and trying a variety of brands will help you narrow down to a brand then to a racquet. Good luck finding your right racquet!

dgoldman
06-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the response. I am pretty sure my technique is lacking a bit or a lot. Just trying to keep the semi-western grip is tough enough when switching between my backhand and forehand. It's very hard for me to tell the difference between racquets control and maneuverability. Is there a racquet that would be similar to the red but a little more forgiving on the technique side? I am not stuck on a prince racquet at all.

The best way to go about it is to try as many different racquets as you like.If you think a racquet might offer what you want (power, maneuverability, control, etc.) just try it out.

The Prince racquets are very good for your level, and I think if you're mis-hitting a lot with the Speedport, chances are you might want to re-check your technique because I found the Speedport to generate very clean power at 60 lbs when I demo'ed it(62 is not too far off from 60). The Prince racquets do demand a good technique, otherwise errors will be very exaggerated due to the ease with which the balls bounce off the stringbed. If you think you have good technique but the Speedport is just not right for you, the O3 Tour is a little more controllable, and if you want to stick with Prince but find even the O3 demanding, try one of the Hybrids that Prince has. They're great racquets if you have the right technique for them.

A good thing to do is to go with "basic" racquets, which I think you have already done. By basic I don't mean a racquet with the bare minimum, but rather one that has a decent all-around ability rather than specializing in serve/volley/spin/etc. The Pure Drive and the Dunlop models were a good place to start. From there, see what qualities of these racquets you prefer and delve deeper into racquet choices.

I played with the Pure Storm and found that to be a very nice racquet for a developing game. It's fairly simple and has few technologies like the Dunlop models, but it works beautifully on ground strokes. It helps to have an established service motion with this, but it is overall a nicely maneuverable and stable racquet. Pure Drive is not too different from the Pure Storm, but I found the Cortex system to be a bad thing on the Pure Drive. You might prefer it, though.

The Wilson [K]Factor racquets are also pretty good for a growing game. The [K]Blade 98 and [K]Pro Tour are light, maneuverable racquets if you want to try the Wilson family.

Of course, these are your preferences, and trying a variety of brands will help you narrow down to a brand then to a racquet. Good luck finding your right racquet!

tennisntn3477
06-03-2008, 10:42 AM
While you are demoing, give the Becker and Classic V1 frames a chance - midsize versions. Both are very stable but forgiving frames.

Tennisman912
06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
dgoldman,

I recommend you stick with your speedport red until you have a better developed game and are consistent enough to tell the differences between racquets, instead of picking one on a day when you may not be playing your representative self.

The speedport red is a good racquet for a beginner up to 4.5 or 5.0. It is light, has low swingweight, a 105 sq in head that is forgiving and is maneuverable (and is 27.25 in. long, which you won't even notice). It will take you far. It does eat strings though (in my experience, as in syn gut in 3-4 hours, full poly in around 10) which shouldn't be a problem for you for a while. I would lower the tension a bit though. For syn gut, somewhere in the 55-60 range should be good for you. For poly try 53-55 (but I would not recommend poly to a beginner and/or non string breaker). The only problem you may have with it is its light for a player's racquet so as you advance, you may want something with more weight (eventually). Till then though you are in good shape.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

TM

jimbo525
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
If you keep missing a lot i say you should get an oversized racquet but prince o3 racquets are pretty good if you use the speedports because they enhance the sweet spots. If you tune your tension up to high the racquet will have more control but it will feel a little bit more dead. If you tune it down it gives you more power but less control. When i turn the power up i usually don't lose control in ground strokes but rather in my serves.

dgoldman
06-03-2008, 03:42 PM
It's not really that i'm missing just mis hitting it so that the ball flies high or into the net. I'll keep demoing and maybe play with the strings.

Octavianus
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm currently a 3.0 and moving quickly to 3.5, Im 39 yrs old and spending as much time as I can to improve my game (10-12 hours a week with two lessons a week) and working on a semi-western forehand usually ends up being a modeified eastern. I'd like to start playing in some leagues as soon as I can.

My dilemma is that I just started playing in the fall and have no idea what racquet to pick. I've been using a Prince speedport red and as a backup I bought a dunlop 9k.

I strung the prince with wilson nxt 17 @ 62lbs. I cannot tell if its enough power because I miss hit a lot but I'm guessing I need to drop the tension down a notch or two.

Anyhow, I kinda like the o3 however I would like some advice on choices of racquets that would fit my level and growth. I picked the o3 red one up just by reading TW descriptions on racquets.

After reading the forums I am demoing the following: dunlop 500 tour, pure drive, and dunlop 300. Are these decent choices to look at? Any advice? Demoing is very hard for me. I've looked at a lot of racquets but it's so hard for me to tell differences.

thanks in advance!

I played with a Speddport Red and found it very easy to play with. In my opinion if you are missing balls with the Speedport Red, you should be using a larger headsize 110 square inches and work on your technique. The Dunlop 500 is 100 square inches and the 300 is 98 square inches, both way too demanding for you and you will be missing a lot more balls than you do with the Speedport.

dgoldman
06-05-2008, 04:59 AM
I got my four demos yesterday.
1. Babolat Pure drive
2. Dunlop 500 tour
3. dunlop 300
4. head microgel instinct

Right off the bat I didn't like the feel of the 300 or instinct. So I focused more on the other two. The 500 tour felt very good in my hands, hitting the ball, and on serves-very solid. The babolat PD was close but something was off. It felt lighter to me on the court. However after going home and looking up the specs on the 500tour and babolat PD I was surprised to see how close they were in specs. I thought the swing weights would be a lot different but they are identical. Maybe the strings had something to do with it as the dunlop had its comfy strings on there.

AR15
06-05-2008, 06:21 AM
My story is simlilar to yours, and I went with the Speedport White. It is so much better than the red, and an easy transition.

TravelinMan
06-06-2008, 06:35 PM
My story is simlilar to yours, and I went with the Speedport White. It is so much better than the red, and an easy transition.

What did you find better about the SP White then you had with the Red. Why I ask is because I have played with the SP Tour and Black and everytime I think the Red is too light, I try hitting with my Black but quickly got back to the RED. I just find it very forgiving and allows me to whip through the ball. So what do you get with the White that improved you game over Red.

Steve Huff
06-06-2008, 07:28 PM
The Dunlop AG 300 is a nice frame. I think your older 900 series is probably not the best choice. You say that you are hitting long or into the net. A less powerful racket may allow you to hit higher, with more margin for error, and still keep the ball in court. Also, when switching grips from forehand to backhand, try using you nondominant hand to turn the racket. As your shoulders rotate back, using the nondominant hand to turn the grip will begin to feel natural.

maruzo
06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Just got my red 03 midplus from amazon.com and will be testing it out tomorrow. Currently using the hybrid shark and loving it. Needed more damping than the one dampener that came with the racquet, so i tied a rubber band across the bottom string bed. Worked like a charm. The only negative side is the lack of response when I try to slice the ball back. Wondering why that might be.

Using the shark with the prestrung prince string, so I have no idea what the tension might be. But I'm still puzzled why the slice shot isn't working for me. My other shark which I strung with syn gut worked great with the slice. Although the string quickly broke after 2 days of play when I double-dampened the string bed with the original dampener plus the rubber band.

Does anybody know if you're putting more strain on your arm by double-dampening the strings?