PDA

View Full Version : Drak: Tweener suggestion

rayallen333
06-03-2008, 06:46 AM
I've seen quite a few threads of you praising various 11-12 oz racquets. I was wondering, which tweener (pd, apd, etc) do you like most and why?

urbo73
06-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Check out Jollyroger's sticky thread on racquet selection. It was the only help I needed and I was like you a bit. It came down to this and it's nothing but the truth. I'm done demoing. Here's what Jolly recommended and pay attention to the spec range - that is the KEY!

"Wilson K Pro Open

Head Radical MP

Babolat PD

Prince O3 White

To me that is a great spec range, suits a really really broad cross section of players, something you can learn to play with from the beginning and stick with up to 5.0+

I just like that 11-11.5 oz, 98-100", 315-325SW, range for a ton of players."

urbo73
06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I went with the Wilson K Pro Open and couldn't be happier. I tried many others in that spec range, but it really came down to personal preference in the end, since the specs all were similar and in that range in BOLD above. For me I liked the feel of the Wilson, etc. But any would do the job. So look in that spec range, and then go based on what YOU like (paintjob, power, feel, etc.). Because it will always be a personal preference at that point.

rayallen333
06-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I do like that spec range. The problem is, those racquets still don't play the same. The wilson pro had too little power, the head too little spin, i can't feel the ball with the 03 white, and i cant find a pd to demo. Considering there's a billion racquets in that range and it would be quite costly to demo all of them, I am looking for suggestions.

On the other hand, I did find Jolly's tips very helpful and am looking for his advice too. I am quite a picky chooser, lol. Also, considering I am in hs, I can't buy racquets as freely as others.

urbo73
06-03-2008, 11:19 AM
No, they don't play the same. Narrow it down to what YOU like is what I then said. What others may like may simply not matter for you. As long as you are in that spec range, the rest is your own preference. Demo a PD from TW!

Take me for example. I hated the Babolat and the Head. The Prince was OK, but I preferred the Wilson. So what did it matter what others said? That being said, at my level (3), I could play just the same with any of them.

Mansewerz
06-03-2008, 12:07 PM
No, they don't play the same. Narrow it down to what YOU like is what I then said. What others may like may simply not matter for you. As long as you are in that spec range, the rest is your own preference. Demo a PD from TW!

Take me for example. I hated the Babolat and the Head. The Prince was OK, but I preferred the Wilson. So what did it matter what others said? That being said, at my level (3), I could play just the same with any of them.

Yea, i'm a lower level guy and because my Yonex RDX 500 MP is a hand me down, I just used it. However, after joining these boards, I realized what kind of a gem I have and it's very comfortable. Plus, it feels a lot more stable than my ntour 95 while still being very easy to swing for a full match.

drak
06-03-2008, 12:20 PM
It really is relative to style of play, ability level, and if you lead them up or not. I'm currently using the T-Flash 310 which is nice all around frame at about 11.5 oz, but am sort of a junkie so I could always try something new that intrigues me.

For some reason the Wilson tweeners never really seem to play well "for me". Babs in general I don't like. I have played with and liked some of the Volkls and am a bit interested in trying the becker pro and Mecker V1 midplus.

Recent Yonexes and Dunlops I am not crazy about. I really don't care much for the new princes, and Head's I really have nor tried that much.

Note that all comments refer to 10.8 to 11.5 oz tweener type frames.

rayallen333
06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Drak - can you compare the tecnifibre 310, APDC, DNX 9, DNX 8 (any of those)?

rayallen333
07-19-2008, 02:57 PM
drak, are you still using the tecnifibre?