PDA

View Full Version : n00b alert! Bad racquet Vs badly strung

inigo_jones
06-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey peeps. n00b in need of some pointers

I have just baught a new racquet (Dunlop F2.70) from my local sports shop. It was reduced from 80 to a measly 20 which is the reason I hastily bought it without checking any reviews online etc. (could be a big mistake in hindsight).

Anyway, the racquet plays terribly. It looks the part and weighs the part, and yet in open play i can get absolutely no power or control. My previous racquets although of a lesser rrp, all play much better.

all in all its a bit of a bummer and i'm hoping its merely a string problem. The stock strings do seem very loose and the strings themselves are really thin/feeble. (as you can probably tell, i am no expert! :-?)

Would it be worthwhile re-stringing the thing? (It makes sense that a racquet would not play brilliantly straight out of the box) or is it more likely that i have bought a dud racquet? (on the net, strangely i can't find anything at all about the model :-?)

any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

uk_skippy
06-03-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm guessing you bought it from Sportsworld or Sportsdirect or whatever they call themselves nowadays. In short, they own Dunlop/Slazenger and the 'cheap' rqts they produce are likely to be overpriced on the rrp, and not worth the money. If you gt a good stringer to put a good string in it, then it should play better, but you'll probably be paying another 15-20 to get that done.

Caveat emptor - buyer beware is the case with these rqts. You'll get what you pay for and not the inflated RRP quality rqt. The same goes for Browning rqts if you find them.

Regards

Paul

inigo_jones
06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
got it in one mate! sportsdirect was indeed the shop. in that case it looks like the racquet's a write-off. that'll teach me to be lured by the price-tag and neglect the reserch.

thanks a lot