PDA

View Full Version : Is the Wilson K Pro Tour underrated? Advice too please.

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I think from the specs of this racquet, it is really not getting enough credit as it should. I would really like to try the racquet, but it cost a bit here to demo and im low on cash, so I would like to know peoples opinions on this racquet. I am using a K tour leaded up half an ounce with a white replacement grip and a wilson pro overgrip, with a topspincyberflash in the crosses and blue gear in the mains. I would like a lot more control but I still want the great access to spin that the K tour offers. I am a 4.5 player. Is this the racquet for me? All opinions apreciated, thanks.

Gellin
06-03-2008, 05:52 PM
I demoed it and to be honest it was extremely stiff. I thought it would play like a dream from looking at the specs on TW but after hitting with it for about 30 minutes I knew it was not a racket I would want to use for extended periods of time...

I was serving bombs though... ;)

tennisguy7482
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I think from the specs of this racquet, it is really not getting enough credit as it should. I would really like to try the racquet, but it cost a bit here to demo and im low on cash, so I would like to know peoples opinions on this racquet. I am using a K tour leaded up half an ounce with a white replacement grip and a wilson pro overgrip, with a topspincyberflash in the crosses and blue gear in the mains. I would like a lot more control but I still want the great access to spin that the K tour offers. I am a 4.5 player. Is this the racquet for me? All opinions apreciated, thanks.

i do think the kpro tour is underrated. i liked it, but you should really demo it maybe with a friend or something to drive the cost down.

as for feeling stiff, its actually quite soft, especially compared to the kblade or k6.1.

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
really, how stiff? thats surprising.

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 05:58 PM
oh ya..it is between the k blade 98 and the k pro tour..i found the k blade 98 to be too stiff..it might be because of the string pattern, pretty dense i couldnt generate as much pop and spin as the k tour

Gellin
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
It felt similar to the Babolat Pure Drive's, my demo was strung with Gosen OG Micro..

tennisguy7482
06-03-2008, 05:59 PM
really, how stiff? thats surprising.

kpro tour is around 63 while the blade or 6.1's are closer to 70

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
what about compared to the microgel radical? that is what i used before the k pro tour..also what other comments do you have about the racquet, forehand backhand volley serve etc..thanks!

Gellin
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Haven't hit with the Microgel Radical, so I can't make a comparison to it.

As for the KPro Tour, it was a decent racket, don't get me wrong it performed well, but a bit too stiff for my tastes. Maybe it would feel better if it was strung with Multi/Gut but with SynGut it didn't feel that great on the arm.

Honestly, you should demo for yourself, you may feel differently about it.

Demo Demo Demo! :)

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks to both of you.. I have decided to demo it with a friend we just talked it over..I would still like to know YOUR personal opinion on the racquet in terms of topspin slice serve kick serve silce serve forehand backhand volleys overheads if thats ok..thanks!

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
and also gellen you said it is like the pure drive..those are supposed to be known for their power but isnt the k pro tour supposed to specialize in control?

Gellin
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
When I referred to the Pure Drive, I was referring to the stiffness not the power rating.

Overall, I felt the KPro Tour had decent control, but can't be compared to something with an 18x20 string pattern..

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 06:12 PM
oh ok i get it
how is it on volleys?

Gellin
06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Very Crisp :)

P8ntballa
06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I demoed the Kpro tour recently and it was really maneuverable, with easy access to spin, little power, and fairly good feel. At first in just rallying I did like it alot, but when hitting against pace this stik just does not cut it. This is (as already stated) a great serve & volley stik stock, but I think to really unlock its potential lead would have to be used. Compared to the MG Radical mp and MG Prestiege pro, this stik has better feel and is better at net but (especialy against these) lacking weight and plow through on the baseline.

PS: It is nothing like the PD, it has way less power, smaller sweetspot, and is alot easier on the arm.

ollinger
06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Underrated?? I think it's overrated, not that I've seen an actual rating, but nobody here seems to have a very high opinion of it -- including me. Hit with it for about 10 minutes at a club that features Wilson -- underpowered, firm, not a particularly "sweet" feel.

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 06:28 PM
i really apreciate this, thanks a lot everyone
i need to know if this racquet would be suited for my game.
my backhand is my weapon, there isnt much spin but its a huge huge flat backhand that i can wack from anywhere on the court..my forehand is my rallying shot..i can keep balls deep and with pace and spin..i need a lot of spin but still control..i also like feel like the k tour 95 has..i like to come to net and i like to hit big flat first serves but i need a stick that can make a major kick on the second serve. what do you suggest..this racquet or another?

P8ntballa
06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
i really apreciate this, thanks a lot everyone
i need to know if this racquet would be suited for my game.
my backhand is my weapon, there isnt much spin but its a huge huge flat backhand that i can wack from anywhere on the court..my forehand is my rallying shot..i can keep balls deep and with pace and spin..i need a lot of spin but still control..i also like feel like the k tour 95 has..i like to come to net and i like to hit big flat first serves but i need a stick that can make a major kick on the second serve. what do you suggest..this racquet or another?

The kpro tour would do, but I think that the kblade will work better with your bh. I tried the KBT and thought that it was much better then the kblade 98 and KPT. The Prestiege mp or pro are also great for baseline play. My bh is also a weapon and I just switched from yonex to the prince ozone pro tour which is great EVERYWHERE. Try and see if you can demo or borrow from a friend before you buy.

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
wouldnt the k blade tour not be good for me because of the dense string pattern? i need something that allows easy access to spin

safinisamazing
06-03-2008, 08:08 PM
anyone????

P8ntballa
06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
wouldnt the k blade tour not be good for me because of the dense string pattern? i need something that allows easy access to spin

Both the Ozone pro tour and KBT have denser patterns but both suprisingly for me generated great spin especialy so on serves; the Pro tour was more forgiving and felt much more solid all around the court which is why I switched away from yonex.

It may be that because I take massive cuts on both wings (except for my mid-court bh) that I get alot of spin but my gf also liked both alot. My gf stroke is more consistant then mine which may be why she preferred the KBT but she uses tons of spin on her winners and approaches. Im a 16yr old 3.5 player, and she is 17yr old open player

armsty
06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
I was looking at the Wilson website and was quite interested in this stick, then I realised I was browsing the North America section of the site, I switched to the Australian one and there was nothing about it.

The specs match what I would like, so I would definately consider the racket, if only it was available in my country.

safinisamazing
06-04-2008, 06:14 PM
oh i see..ya i found the kbt to be wayyyyy too dead for me..i just want the same pop as the k tour but more consistency

safinisamazing
06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
and by pop i mean liveliness thats the key thing..not dead like the kbt

P8ntballa
06-04-2008, 06:20 PM
and by pop i mean liveliness thats the key thing..not dead like the kbt

Im telling you try the Ozone Pro tour, best frame out by Prince in a very long time.

2nd_Serve
06-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Well, the Ktour's been out for about the same time as the Kpro. Maybe you should try sticking with it, and customizing it more instead of getting an entirely new racket. I found that you get more control when you put weight on the handle. You should try that if you want contorl. Lead on the hoop if you want power.

safinisamazing
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
it would be too heavy for me
also, the k pro tour looks like it has a longer grip...i think taht would be better for my 2hbh cause my left hand doesnt have much room on the k tour

P8ntballa
06-04-2008, 11:32 PM
it would be too heavy for me
also, the k pro tour looks like it has a longer grip...i think taht would be better for my 2hbh cause my left hand doesnt have much room on the k tour

if you want a good stik with a more extended grip I would steer clear of head and look at a few of yonexs offerings, both versions of the 002 are nice as is the 001mp and 003.

gh65721
06-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a KPro tour, love the headlight balance, easy on the arm. Had it strung at 50 with Gamma Zo Plus 16L. Stringing loose is a must due to the low power. Access to spin isn't quite what I hoped for. Why did Wilson put 20 crosses in this stick? 16X19 would have been great. I am going to try some Big Ace micro and see if that helps.

safinisamazing
06-07-2008, 07:20 AM
i just got mine in the mail! thanks guys!
:D

racketguru
06-08-2008, 08:10 AM
I own 2 Kpro tours and I use to play with th k6.1 tour (90 sq in). At first it was difficult to drive the ball as I do with the k6.1 tour, but after I tightened the string tension to 60 lbswith Pro Red Code (17g), the racket came alive. I found it now to be a more versatile stick. I can hit topspins and flats off of both sides and serve flats and spins with ease - not as much control as the k6.1 tour, but definitely a easier racket to play with.

BkK_b0y14
06-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Not a stable racket, didnt allow for a good feel on serve and groundstrokes. It almost felt like the racket would snap when going for winners or that ace down the T