PDA

View Full Version : MS200TT Review

bravm3pwr
03-25-2004, 04:27 PM
My impression of the LaserFibre MS200TT.

Finally after 3+ weeks of waiting, I got my LF 200TT today. It came in 2 boxes, very carefully packed. Not that heavy to my surprise. The base of the unit is probably made out of bent steel or aluminum not quite sure but itís not very heavy. The base on the Gamma 602FC is way heavier. The turntable on the other hand feels and looks very sturdy. Yeah, the manual is not very well done, actually its just 3 sheet of papers with printing on both sides. Even with my lousy writing, I can put together a manual better than this. With that said, I had no problem putting the machine together. Machine tolerance is very precise, excellent built quality.

Stringing

Wow, this thing is great. I used to string on a 602FC and there is no comparison.
The three biggest selling points for this machine are:
1. The drop weight does not have to be horizontal. It took me awhile to get used to this but once you are expose to it, youíll wonder why you would string on a standard drop weight.
2. The clamps are probably the best that I have used. I polish of my 300G in about 45 minutes, which is probably very slow to most but its quite fast for me. No slippage, no sore fingers and palms that I would get working on the old 602.
3. The tension mechanism, the clamshell thing is great. I looked at the picture on the Internet but you really have to use the machine to appreciate the engineering that went into this thing. Plus the way the arm automatically disengages to allow tensioning is very cool.

Minor Rant

Ok, so nothing is perfect. Here are a few things that IMHO could make thing machine better.

1. The scale that was provided to place the weight is about 5lbs. off. Iím wondering if this is why everyone is saying the LF machines string tighter than other machine at the indicated weight. I hooked up a digital scale and confirm that it was 5lbs. off at every tension indicated by the ruler. Has anyone done this to confirm?
2. The tensioning rod does not have tension marking on them. Iíve read Onotu2 query to LF about this and I actually donít buy the bit about the rod being some hand roll cr@p and stickers that can come off excuse. The solutions would be to etch the markings into the metal. Then there would be no stickers to wear off and no deviation in the bar. The only benefit to this is would be my #1 rant.
3. The base of the machine could be built with cast steel/aluminum. Just something more substantial! Donít get me wrong here, the thing is extremely stiff and will not bend or twist under any condition. But on my old 602, the machine would not move, even when I put a lot of force to tie off the mains and crosses. With the LF, I had to brace against the machine to finish off my ties.
4. The Mounting is fantastic on this machine but I believe the Gamma and Alpha mounts are easier to work with.

Ok so there it is, I will write a follow up after I string a few more racquets.

coachrick
03-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Interesting post...I've had my 200tt a few weeks and have become quite used to it(I've strung over 30,000 frames on 2-3 dozen machines over the years). The mounting system does take an extra twist or two compared to many machines but the mounting is quite stable. The etching of the bar does seem like the easy(?) way to go--perhaps a little pricey if accuracy is maintained...I actually didn't check my tension vs gauge provided by LF...just feel compared to previous stringings...interesting that yours is off somehow. As to the weight of the base, the 'tt' part of the name could stand for 'tournament traveller'...as such, minimizing total weight is a plus. I'll admit that my machine moves a bit on the very smooth platform I use...not a problem so far. If you want a machine that doesn't move, I invite you to check out my Major/Tecnifibre SP II (that is STILL FOR SALE!)...more weight than the law should allow! Have fun! Keep us posted!

bcaz
03-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Very good review; I concur, mostly. I've had my MS200TT Since December and have strung 7 times so far ... plan two more over the weekend ... I agree, they should have etched the lever arm, and they could have thrown in the extra small weight in the event you want to string small racquets or string higher than 68 lbs. It's not an issue for me, but the mounting system may need some kind of adapter to do racquets with no lower hoop or an inverted one like some old Rossi's ... All in all, a very fine machine: great mounting system, terrific engineering & quality, marvelous clamps (I have the dual-action fixed) and the gripper/tensioner is great. I have no idea whether mine is calibrated too high or low; my results so far have been consistent and firm and tight; I've stayed in the 58-62 pound range so far, sometimes higher on an outside main or a tie-off or a first cross.

hangzhou
03-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Just got my machine MS 200 ECO (fixed clamps) this afternoon and finished my first racket by myself. Have similar concerns or rants. I will write mine later tomorrow.

I string my POG Mid with two piece job with tension at 54 lbs, main is polyester and cross is synthetic gut. Don't have tensionmeter, but found the stringbed is stiff than my Yonex Tour-1 98 stringed with syntehtic gut at 61 lbs.

bravm3pwr: I don't know how you use the ruler, I forgot asking Tim the question, please let me know if you find anthing.

bravm3pwr
03-26-2004, 04:38 AM
hangzhou,

I did not called Tim at LF but it is very simple to use. The ruler has a hole in it at the marking for the weight size. Just hook that up to the pin that holds the tension arm in place. Then align the ruler to the tensioning bar and adjust the weight accordingly.

bravm3pwr
03-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Coachrick,

Wow, 30,000 frames, amazing. I guess you can probably eye where the weight should be at to get desired tension. I guess consistency is better than dead on accurate. But for us amateur, a good starting point helps.

Anyhow, thanks for the TT acronym definition. Now I know why they make the base as light as possible.

coachrick
03-26-2004, 08:12 AM
b3p, I still use the 'ruler' to set tension although one suggestion would be to mark the rod at some 'frequent' tension (or two) to cut down on using the ruler each time. I have some regular clients who have used the same frame/string/tension for over 100 stringings...as such, consistency is key. I will check the tension with a gauge as soon as I find an accurate one. I wonder how often LF users need to adjust their clamps??? I am stringing a fair amount of 18ga soft multis as well as 16ga polys. Regarding the movement of the base, I plan to use a cushioned, grabby surface on my platform when I build it to the right height...it is too low now on the same platform I used for my SP II...not too bad for a few string jobs but could be bad for the back if stringing 5-6 at a time. I may add an "O" ring at the base of each clamp to cushion the noise when the clamp is lowered to the resting position. Anyone have trouble with the weight or rod showing wear from handling?

BTW, I almost always 'lever' my hand against the racket when pulling knots tight--in effect, I am pushing against the racket and machine while pulling the string==no machine movement.

hangzhou
03-26-2004, 08:57 AM
bravm3pwr:

I hook up the ruler to the pin facing toward me on the pivital rod (the white pin on the supporting frame for your MS200 TT, I guess), not the pin holds the famous rod with no tension marks. :-)

If you did that, i.e. hook up the ruler on the pin holds the rod, that might explain why your tension is off. Otherwise I don't have any clue.

bravm3pwr
03-26-2004, 12:48 PM
hangzhou,

It' the pin that holds the whole tensioning mechanism in place, itís by the side of the machine. Not sure where that would be on your ECO. The ruler and weight line up correctly to the tensioning bar. I quite sure the ruler is off by 5lbs. Verified with a friend Gamma and the marking on the Gamma is dead on. Don't get me wrong; this actually works out great because I can go beyond 68lbs.

I got a chance to hit with the racquet that I strung yesterday, and the string bed is stiffer than the other racquet I strung on an NEOS.

hangzhou
03-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Well, that's true that you can go over 68 lbs.

But without digital scale I am having big trouble now, any suggestion?

bravm3pwr
03-26-2004, 01:17 PM
hangzhou,

String your racquet and see if you like the tension, yes. Then repeat at the same setting. Consistency is better than dead on accurate. Or just back of 5lbs. to your setting.

coachrich,

I used a 602FC for many years, brought it used from a friend and I don't think there is anyway that you can wear/tear the rod in a lifetime. My .02.

coachrick
03-27-2004, 07:25 AM
I was wondering about any rust/oxidation on the rod since it is not chromed. The oils on one's hands may react with the metal over time. Seems like my old Alpha DW had a chromed bar and weight so as to protect from such offense.

topspin
04-02-2004, 11:39 AM
the tension of the ms200tt has been confirmed by many to be very accurate at every angle with a slight deviation just before the weight bottoms out (in which case you simply do a double pull and you're accurate again)

I never use the ruler anymore since I marked my most common tensions with a black marker

the base of the machine is tempered steel; it's somewhat lightweight but very strong and will always maintain it's shape