PDA

View Full Version : Need Racquet Help Please!! Which One Should I Get?

dreydey
06-04-2008, 01:49 AM
ok everyone i tried both these racquets and i need help on deciding on which one is the one. i need too find the right one and stock up on about 4-5 of them i have a tournament coming up and recently decided after trying all these racquets with new technology , i am sick of them they just are all missing something so here are the two racquets i have decided on and i am gonna pick only between these two, after trying out several others, any advise on the two would be great , what do you guys recommend i should get, and the pros and cons on these racquets are based on my opinion i am sure others might feel different about it, but thats how i felt, i am a 26 year old player and am a 4.0 NTRP. and i liked these two becuase specs wise they are very similar, they just feel a little different thats why i need everyones help..

Thanks Everyone

Donnay Pro One OS (TW Version)
Pros:
1.Great Two Handed Backhand powerful
2.Great Flex
3.Perfect Weight, Not too heavy and not too light
4.Great for arm and people with arm problems
5.Average on control
6.Great Price

Cons:
1.Lacks Power (could be the string)
2.Bad grommets (Will Not Last Long maybe one or two stringjobs)
3.serves inconsistent (maybe becuase needs a little lead at 3 and 9)
4.forehand not as powerful as i want it to be,maybe to much topspin

Prince Graphite Classic OS (TW Version)
Pros:
1.Great control
2.Perfect Power
3.Serves consistent
4.great forehand

Cons:
1.Too Heavy
2.Stiff
3.No Flex
4.Bad Two Handed Backhand Becuase of weight
5.could be too heavy on arm, might be causeing a little pain in upper arm, but i heard this racquet is for people with arm problems,so it could be technique mixed with a heavy racquet causeing the pain.

classic tennis
06-04-2008, 02:23 AM
ok everyone i tried both these racquets and i need help on deciding on which one is the one. i need too find the right one and stock up on about 4-5 of them i have a tournament coming up and recently decided after trying all these racquets with new technology , i am sick of them they just are all missing something so here are the two racquets i have decided on and i am gonna pick only between these two, after trying out several others, any advise on the two would be great , what do you guys recommend i should get, and the pros and cons on these racquets are based on my opinion i am sure others might feel different about it, but thats how i felt, i am a 26 year old player and am a 4.0 NTRP. and i liked these two becuase specs wise they are very similar, they just feel a little different thats why i need everyones help..

Thanks Everyone

Donnay Pro One OS (TW Version)
Pros:
1.Great Two Handed Backhand powerful
2.Great Flex
3.Perfect Weight, Not too heavy and not too light
4.Great for arm and people with arm problems
5.Average on control
6.Great Prince

Cons:
1.Lacks Power (could be the string)
2.Bad grommets (Will Not Last Long maybe one or two stringjobs)
3.serves inconsistent (maybe becuase needs a little lead at 3 and 9)
4.forehand not as powerful as i want it to be,maybe to much topspin

Prince Graphite Classic OS (TW Version)
Pros:
1.Great control
2.Perfect Power
3.Serves consistent
4.great forehand

Cons:
1.Too Heavy
2.Stiff
3.No Flex
4.Bad Two Handed Backhand Becuase of weight
5.could be too heavy on arm, might be causeing a little pain in upper arm, but i heard this racquet is for people with arm problems,so it could be technique mixed with a heavy racquet causeing the pain.

It's a no brainer go for the Prince.

armsty
06-04-2008, 02:58 AM
It's a no brainer go for the Prince.
Agreed.

1.Great control
2.Perfect Power

Convinces me :p

AndrewD
06-04-2008, 03:16 AM
ok everyone i tried both these racquets and i need help on deciding on which one is the one.

Hang on a minute. In another thread you said,
I just Purchased a couple of Donnay Pro One OS and i love them, and i wanted to see how others that have them feel about this racquet please share your experience if you own one.
Hell, you even started a thread devoted to the racquet. Now you're saying that you've only 'tried' it. What's the deal with that?

dreydey
06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
yeah i at first i did i was in the honeymoon stage now i am feeling a little different,and im confused

dreydey
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
i still like the donnay but i need something with more i think

rockbox
06-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Whats wrong with the microgel's and how come you didn't try the Agassi LE.

dreydey
06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
i dont like the microgels anymore they feel to hollow too light not enough power,i tried to leaded it up but it still felt light and out of control

meowmix
06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
No Agassi LE? No Kneisles? No NXG Tour OS? Your demo list seems to be slightly lacking (unless, you just didn't bother posting these)

Out of the two, I'd go with the Donnay. Stiffness is not something you can cure. Neither is the weight. The cons you have for the Donnay seem mild- grommets can be replaced, lead can be added, strings can be replaced/changed.

AndrewD
06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
The cons you have for the Donnay seem mild- grommets can be replaced, lead can be added, strings can be replaced/changed.

Might not be so easy. A general lack of power in the Donnay is something that has been noted by quite a number of players (both Danny and Ryan in the TW review made mention of it). Adding lead tape will give you more heft but it will also give you a higher swingweight and could add more weight than is comfortable. That takes you into POGOS territory and that seems to be more than the OP can handle.

If you look at the 'TW University' page and compare power potential between racquets you'll get a rough, but useful, idea of where the Donnay sits in terms of power potential. Going by memory, its the lowest-powered of all the 'player's oversize' frames. Trouble is, all of the oversize frames apart from the Donnay and POGOS will have a more 'hollow' feel.

baek57
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
based on the information you provided this should be an easy choice. donnay is the better racquet for you. the prince by your own admission is too heavy, too stiff, and gives you arm pain. you should never use a racquet like that.

meowmix
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Might not be so easy. A general lack of power in the Donnay is something that has been noted by quite a number of players (both Danny and Ryan in the TW review made mention of it). Adding lead tape will give you more heft but it will also give you a higher swingweight and could add more weight than is comfortable. That takes you into POGOS territory and that seems to be more than the OP can handle.

If you look at the 'TW University' page and compare power potential between racquets you'll get a rough, but useful, idea of where the Donnay sits in terms of power potential. Going by memory, its the lowest-powered of all the 'player's oversize' frames. Trouble is, all of the oversize frames apart from the Donnay and POGOS will have a more 'hollow' feel.

Can't argue with that. Just did a comp of the Donnay, the M5, and the O3 Tour OS. That thing to be a bit lacking in pop...

I'm surprised about the weight issue though. The Donnay's only .1 ounces lighter than the POGOS (or whatever you want to call it). With quality control wavering all over the place, you could very well find a POGOS LIGHTER than a Donnay. I could understand swingweight, but static weight? To the OP, I'm assuming by heavy on arm, you're saying the POGOS is harder to swing? If so, then you could try a bit of lead in the handle to increase maneuverability, albeit at the expense of increase swingweight.

About the bold stuff, does that apply to the Agassi LE, the O3 Tour OS, the M5, the NXG Tour OS as well the Kneissel line? I would think that some of them wouldn't...

dreydey
06-04-2008, 08:50 PM
maybe i just need to get used to the weight on the POG

Babb
06-04-2008, 09:00 PM
based on the information you provided this should be an easy choice. donnay is the better racquet for you. the prince by your own admission is too heavy, too stiff, and gives you arm pain. you should never use a racquet like that.
Exactly what I was thinking. I was making sure someone hadn't already said it before I repeated it :D

Babb
06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Agreed.

1.Great control
2.Perfect Power

Convinces me :p

How about the bad backhand? There goes half of your ground game!

dreydey
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
for some reason i cant prepare fast enough with my two handed backhand with the POG but i think its just technique and will take time to get used to

dreydey
06-04-2008, 11:39 PM
everyones advice is great and i did try to get the NXG but it looks like its sold out in my grip size and i would have to build up the grip and i hate doing that, plus i was really not trying to get confused again i finally summed it up to two racquets that i like POG and the DP1 OS, i know the POG has a awesome track record but the donnay is not so bad it feels good i just feel the power is the problem, the prince might be just too heavy so i am gonna demo the Prince again and see what happens,this is so frustrating,thanks for everyones help , and please keep giving advice it helps alot

dreydey
06-05-2008, 01:07 AM
so meowmix are u saying that i should stay with the Donnay

dreydey
06-05-2008, 01:08 AM
i didnt like the agassi LE it didnt feel like the POG or the DP1 and i hate the look of the racquet also

baek57
06-05-2008, 04:15 AM
i get the feeling you think you should be using the POG because other people like it better. do yourself a favor and stay away from a racquet that gives you arm problems, even if everyone else in the world loves that racquet.

i dont see why you feel the need to demo it again.

dreydey
06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
maybe your right i just dont want to make the same mistake as i did with the microgels and just buy them, and then i dont like the way they play at all, feels like a cheap stick hollow and its all over the place.

dreydey
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
ok im just gona stick with the donnay, cause i can always add lead to the head to make it feel like the POG i just ordered 3 so im excited and i had them matched and had 2 strung at 59lbs and 1 strung at 58lbs, with babaloat tonic + natural gut 16 thanks for everyones advice, im just gonna go with the donnay it feels right in my hand, and for doubles ill just use my microgels thanks everyone.....

dreydey
06-05-2008, 10:19 PM
what you guys think about the setup