PDA

View Full Version : General Racquet Questions

Tennnis
06-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Hi,

Newbie to racquets.

Know a little about these boards, and it seems as though Jo11lyroger and YULittle know the most about racquets? Any help from them or from any "racquet gurus" would be nice.

Few questions (albeit pretty stupid) for you guys:

1) Let's take the K90, for instance. After reading the review, sounds like a brilliant racquet. The graph at the bottom rated it like 85+ overall: wow!

So why is it suited for 5.0+ players: with many people saying it's hard to play, it's stiff: when it offers all this stuff? Does it mean you have to reach that certain level to not so much play properly with it, enjoy it, but for it to become the "most forgiving racquet" etc. (you know what I mean)

Is it kind of like, to put bluntly, have a kick-as* sword but not be strong enough to wield and use it?

2) How come some racquets (mainly the Wilson K-Factors) are heavy, but swing fast (I just got a K95 and it feels so light when hitting, why?)?

3) How does string pattern affect game play?

4) Stiffness ratings e.g. when you go to a tennis racquet view on the TW site, on the right in the blue box it'll have "stiffness: x"

Don't flame me or get angry for asking these quesions please, just curious.

Thanks.

Oh, and if anyone has some other general racquets questions they're confused about, feel free to ask here: hopefully someone else will answer.

larry10s
06-04-2008, 04:46 AM
1) if you gave a ferrari to a 16 year old to learn how to drive he would probably smash it. a stadivarious violin wont sound as good in a beginners hand . get the picture? there is a thread on the difference between open and closed string pattern. basically open pattern more spin and power ( some complain about hit spots) closed pattern less spin more control. read about swingweight and balance points and weight distribution to understand why some "heavy" racquets are "easy" to swing hope this helps

larry10s
06-04-2008, 04:49 AM
stiffness ratings are measured in a specific way so one can compare. very general more stiff more power, harder on your arm. less stiff or more flexible easier on your arm and more "feel".

tata
06-04-2008, 04:50 AM
Hi,

Newbie to racquets.

Know a little about these boards, and it seems as though Jo11lyroger and YULittle know the most about racquets? Any help from them or from any "racquet gurus" would be nice.

Few questions (albeit pretty stupid) for you guys:

1) Let's take the K90, for instance. After reading the review, sounds like a brilliant racquet. The graph at the bottom rated it like 85+ overall: wow!

So why is it suited for 5.0+ players: with many people saying it's hard to play, it's stiff: when it offers all this stuff? Does it mean you have to reach that certain level to not so much play properly with it, enjoy it, but for it to become the "most forgiving racquet" etc. (you know what I mean)

Is it kind of like, to put bluntly, have a kick-as* sword but not be strong enough to wield and use it?

2) How come some racquets (mainly the Wilson K-Factors) are heavy, but swing fast (I just got a K95 and it feels so light when hitting, why?)?

4) Stiffness ratings e.g. when you go to a tennis racquet view on the TW site, on the right in the blue box it'll have "stiffness: x"

Thanks.

Oh, and if anyone has some other general racquets questions they're confused about, feel free to ask here: hopefully someone else will answer.

im going to try do my best to answer this but im not very knowledgeable so better wait for someone to reply.But since im sick of studying i might as well take a punt at it.

1) im no pro but i think it just means that in order to gain the maximum potential and benefit of the racquet you should be at that level.Not to say that newbies cant use it,i mean after all a good racquet with proper technology and engineering should perform better than some cheapo $30 racquet.But yea maybe just means you can blow a lot of $$$ to buy it but your skill wont max out its potential.

2) not sure, a wild guess would have to be something to do with being 'head light'.

3)definitly but not sure how as i am no pro.I think most are 16x19 but some are like 18x19, which gives a more stiffer feel.And i think it affects how well it generates topspin since there are more strings?dont take my word for it,im noob lol.

4)i think it speaks for itself.I think it just measures how stiff the racquet feels. I know federer's racquet is quite stiff compared to something say...an 03 white so fed's one will have a higher stiffness rating.

Bottle Rocket
06-04-2008, 06:54 AM

These are very close to the most common questions asked around here. Most of them get asked every few days, if not nearly everyday. Instead of taking the word of the limited number of responses in this thread, you would be much better off doing some searching in this forum as well as other resources for the answers. You'll get a significantly larger number of answers and enough data that you might be able to sort through the BS and get the truth. Other than searching for topics in this forum, and this forums FAQ, you should check out the Tennis Warehouse racket term pages as well as the TW University section. Most everyone around here has no problems giving advice and sharing what they know, but most are going to be more gracious when the poster has shown that they have done some of their own research. With that said, I'll give some of my very brief answers to your questions - you can compare them with the answers of others and decide for yourself which to "believe".

It is heavy, has a high swingweight, and has a small head. To get the most out of this racket, it takes better timing, better footwork, more fluid technique, and good fitness to get results out of it. If you've got all of these things, the reward is a feeling of confidence, control, and power that won't be found with most other frames. At the same time, you have to do what you enjoy. Ignoring results, if you enjoy playing with the K90 the most, just play with it.

I have no idea what you're comparing the K95 too, but I don't find them to swing real light. Either way, the specs usually tell the story here. Swingweight and balance are very telling of how a racket will feel when swung. A search for swingweight will bring up all kinds of great information. I am not sure exactly what you mean when you say they "swing fast". Do they swing fast on their own? I think most Wilsons have a decent swingweight, often making them feel more "whippy" than other frames.

There is no real data out there on this. Many on this forum think that more open string patterns produce more spin and many of these posters claim this as fact. Nobody has proven this to me. There are those that find more spin with tighter patterns as well as a greater sense of control and feedback from the frame. I think you have to see for yourself... Your own feelings on the subject and each individual frame is all that really matters. One thing is for sure, strings in a racket of a tighter pattern are going to last longer.

Stiffness is measured on a Babolat racket machine. It is a scale of 0-100, with lower being more flexible. I would call anything under 60 considered flexible and anything over 70 to be extremely stiff. This stiffness is measured near the throat and does not say much about stiffness in the head of the frame so this spec doesn't always tell the whole story. You'll have to find our own preference here, just like the other specs you've brought up.

Here is a link to a page (our local Kansas City tennis website) I wrote about control, power, stiffness, and related issues-->

http://www.kctennisplayers.com/index.php?topic=15.0