PDA

View Full Version : BECKER PRO vs V1 midplus?

drak
06-04-2008, 06:31 AM
These rackets seem fairly similar, the V1 being more head heavy and perhaps more powerful. Can anyone who has hit with these give a comparison with the pluses and minuses of each? I'm particularly interested in how each serves and volleys and the comparison of those attributes between the two frames.

Thx

Drak

srvnvly
06-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I actually own, and have played with both.

V1
Pluses
Maneuverability at baseline and at net
Power
Comfort - This was my come-back-from-tennis-elbow racquet
Serves - flat serves out wide

Minuses
Power - it can giveth and taketh away
Volleys - while not a total minus, it could use more weight behind it for put-away volleys
Serves - kick serves sit up a bit much (am willing to admit user error)
In my experience playing against a pusher, I wish it had more plow-through)

Overall, I love my V1 sticks and will always keep at least one in my bag.

Becker Pro
Pluses
Groundstrokes - WOW - pace, depth, placement rock with this stick
Volleys - better-than-WOW - angle and pace; many times I heard opponents say "oh sh_t" when I was at the net with a put-away volley (worth the price of the racquet alone)
Second/ kick serves - placement, pace and spin; I've had more 2nd serve aces than ever
Return of serve - good pace on returns

Minuses
First serves - still learning to hit a good, flat bomb; I'm optimistic, though
Arm fatigue - my arm felt a bit more tired than when using the V1

Both are stock racquets and I am still getting used to the Pro, but the Pro helped me be more consistent and confident against pusher-type players. I also emphasize the "user error" comment as I am a 4.0 player, who sometimes plays like a 3.0 and other times like a 4.5. Hope this helps; good luck...

drak
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the excellent comparison. However I am a bit confused on one point, the TW specs on the Pro show a SW of 315 vs a SW of 329 on the V1. That would make me think the V1 should feel heavier and have better "plow through", yet tour experience suggests otherwise - any thoughts on that?

srvnvly
06-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the excellent comparison. However I am a bit confused on one point, the TW specs on the Pro show a SW of 315 vs a SW of 219 on the V1. That would make me think the V1 should feel heavier and have better "plow through", yet tour experience suggests otherwise - any thoughts on that?

Could be the lighter weight, though I see a sw of 329 for the V1 on the TW site.

drak
06-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Could be the lighter weight, though I see a sw of 329 for the V1 on the TW site.

Which is the better serving racket overall? And how do you compare power levels?