PDA

View Full Version : The Federer forehand

Defcon
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Is it just me or has the best shot in tennis lost some zip? He can still crank winners but it seems lately when he goes for the lines he misses, so his normal forehand rally shot is not nearly as powerful, and his movement, anticipation and defense keep him in the point. He's relying a lot more on placement and angles than power, and even when he gets in a good position is not able to force an error as much as he used to. On clay thats a very dicey proposition against Nadal.

Its not just clay - compare the forehands he hit in 04/05/06 to the way he played the USO in 07, I don't see the same end-points-at-will shot. Combined with his newly discovered hobby of losing serve when serving for the set, it has proven costly.

joeri888
06-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Sure, he lost some of his sparkle in every department, that's nothing new. He's not the 2006 Federer, but his forehand is still the best in the world and the second best on clay. The guy's been ill and is coming back to at least is 2007 form, so.. nothing to worry really.

To really comfort you, you should take a look at the forehand winner Rog hit against Ancic to win the second set.

Defcon
06-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I do worry, because its the FO and maybe his last chance to win. At Wimbledon and USO there is nothing to be concerned about, here he needs all of his game to have a chance against the clay court monster, and I really want him to.

His performance at net was a good sign today, I hope he doesn't get discouraged against Nadal and keeps attacking.

Stinkdyr
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
ok fine, here is the Final score with Nada winning of course:
6-2,6-1,6-3