PDA

View Full Version : Praise on Safina

matchmaker
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Today I was annoyed because there were no men's matches at the beginning of the session.

So I was forced to watch Dementieva-Safina.

Without spilling the beans I was very pleasantly surprised by this match. Especially Safina's ability to change her game halfway through the match and Dementieva's clean hitting from the baseline was an interesting strategical exchange.

For the first time I saw women not only hitting hard but actually building up points and moving around the court. I saw kick serves, changing pace, variation in height, angles,...

Off course it still does not have the same consistency as the men's game, but there is an evolution.

The Williams sisters started to hit hard, but without game plan other than that. The Belgian players were the first to be able to hang in there with them and adapt to their pace. The next step should be hard hitting, resistance and moving the opponent around.

I thought this match was a step in that direction, although there were the usual flaws on Dementieva's serve: she really has a problem with her toss, especially on the second serve. However she did actively search the opening in the points which was made more difficult by Safina's more astute and resistant game.

During the first set they just played hardcourt tennis on clay: mainly flat hitting from the baseline without too many angles. At the end of the second it had changed to claycourt tennis and that was Safina's contribution. It is positive to see how a female player is able to adapt her tactics to the situation during a match, keep moving around and make angles using different heights, hence the title.

TheTruth
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Safina was simply fantastic. I am loving this new die-hard, stay in the match, and play point by point attitude. I really hope she gets her first (of many) grand slams this year at the French!

Peaches
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
maybe its because i generally dont like women's tennis, but i didnt see all of what u are saying here. the match sucked IMO.

Djokovicfan4life
06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Marat could learn a thing or two from her. :)

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Great playing by Safina, but it's still early to celebrate because she has to come back tomorrow and is the 1st match up on center court. I loved the way she kept fighting and I honestly thought she was out of gas in the 2nd set.