PDA

View Full Version : Most promising young gun?

Defcon
06-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Who is the best among this bunch?

Tsonga - the curse of the AO finalist
Berdych - talented, but major headcase
Gasquet - see above, + apparently as frail as a wilted flower
Murray - Mr. Nice Attitude
Mofees -the lumbering giant
Ancic - getting old already?
Gulbis - his star is shining bright

Murray is the most overhyped player. At least Gasquet and Mofees have slam SF's, Berdych has a QF. Murray has done precisely squat in the big occasions, besides bad mouthing everyone he can think of, firing Gilbert, and displacing poor Tim.

I would say Gulbis is at least as talented as the rest and already shows some maturity and ability to rise to the occasion. Berdych has no variety, Murray and Gasquet have multiple issues (like not having a brain), Tsonga is too big ad too heavy, and I fear baby Goran's best days are gone. Mofees' game is too passive. Gulbis has been very impressive and would be my pick.

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Murray is the most overhyped player. At least Gasquet and Mofees have slam SF's, Berdych has a QF. Murray has done precisely squat in the big occasions, besides bad mouthing everyone he can think of, firing Gilbert, and displacing poor Tim.

I would say Gulbis is at least as talented as the rest and already shows some maturity and ability to rise to the occasion. Berdych has no variety, Murray and Gasquet have multiple issues (like not having a brain), Tsonga is too big ad too heavy, and I fear baby Goran's best days are gone. Mofees' game is too passive. Gulbis has been very impressive and would be my pick.
so monfils is back into the group now ? ;)

on the other hand, you forgot marcos.

gj011
06-04-2008, 03:56 PM
They are all about the same age or older than Djokovic (born 1987) and Nadal (born 1986). Except Gulbis (born 1988 ) who is a year younger than Djokovic.

So how are these guys "promising young guns"?

From this bunch Gulbis obviously.

Defcon
06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh yeah Baghdatis - another case of the AO finalist curse? Has he done anything lately? I do like his game, I think fitness is going to be a problem for him.

Defcon
06-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Djokovic and Nadal have both reached the top of the game and fulfilled any promise they might have had.

These other guys, not so much. They've been talked about for a while now with not much to show for it.

vive le beau jeu !
06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah Baghdatis - another case of the AO finalist curse? Has he done anything lately? I do like his game, I think fitness is going to be a problem for him.
marcos lately ?... he's been enjoying his clay hibernation ! :rolleyes:
(he's already playing on grass this week at surbiton, in fact)

i don't think he's so un-fit... maybe he doesnt work on it enough, but his record for five setters is not so bad, so... natural aptitudes and/or fighting spirit ?
anyway, fit or not, as hewitt said, he's a tough guy to finish off... ;)

and if you care about his accomplishements in slams, with 1 F, 1 SF, 1 QF... so far, if i'm not mistaken, it's still better than any of all the other players you mentionned. :)

gulbis looks very promising, by the way... i'm just waiting to see him play some five setters (i still don't understand how he lost -in 5 sets- to the #724 guy in davis cup in macedonia !)

zagor
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Gulbis seems most promising to me from that group.Would also like to see Ancic do well as he's one of my favourite players on tour.

Defcon
06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd like to see Ancic do well too, he's one of the few SV players left, and he plays with some flair.

NadalForever
06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
My pick would be Murray. I don't think that Murray is too overhyped. Maybe overhyped a bit but let's not forget his two consecutive wins over Federer. In his last win over Federer he did not give Federer a single breakpoint even though his 1st serve % was in 50's. And Murray has won a tournament at age 18 weheras Gublis has not won a tournament yet. Also Murray has been unlucky with draws. He ran into onfire Tsonga at AO this year. Also last year if not for Nadal then he would have made it into Quarterfinal of AO. And also let's not forget his straight set win over Roddick in Wimbedon whereas Gasquet needed an epic 5 setter to barely beat Roddick. Therefore I have more than enough reasons to clearly show Murray being the most promising of the bunch.

miniRafa386
06-04-2008, 04:51 PM
monfils now

ruski07
06-04-2008, 04:52 PM
seems like monfils has been around for ages, and has been forgotten about and bagged out for a while aswell, i keep forgetting the guy is only 21, he still has plently of time left to turn his career around lets hope making the French semis is a turning point!!!

flyer
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Gulbis is the hot hand as it be, Berdych and Tsonga are just as talented though...

FedForGOAT
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Seeing him play vs. Djokovic, Gulbis seems to be getting rather good at the mental aspect of the game.

jmsx521
06-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Let's see at the US Open when Jan Silva gets a WC... this year!

Djokovicfan4life
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
We'll definitely be seeing a lot more of Gulbis, I hope I can say the same for Gasquet as well. :)

Defcon
06-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Gulbis has a very Djoker like game, it translates well to all surfaces. Murray may very well be more talented but has an ugly game and uglier attitude, he doesn't seem to enjoy tennis at all.

Bjorn99
06-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Jan Silva will never make it, too small. And there is no one coming up. No talent on the horizon at all. Be thankful for Djoko, Fed and Nadal. Very thankful.

As I have said many times. Every generation has one to three players worth watching. Players ARE not better now, or in the past. It is all a cycle of life.

lovecr717
06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Djoko and Nadal

DarkSephiroth
06-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Tsonga, at his best, is pretty amazing. He blew Nadal off the court @ the AO.

tennis08tarheels
06-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Most promising? Besides the obvious Nadal, I'd say Juan Martin Del Potro and Sam Querrey. Sam's been developing and improving a very respectable ground game to go along with that monster serve of his. Del Potro just has an excellent all-around game, and you get the feeling that he's going to develop a lot more consistency in the next couple of years. Some points it's all there, and some it's not.

RiosTheGenius
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
who the hell is Mofees?

Moses Man
06-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Monfils... but "Mofees" is the Hooked-on-Phonics way of spelling!

jansilvatennis
06-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Marcos took a break after Indian Wells to lose weight and work on his fitness. 20 pounds lighter 3 months no tennis just diet and hard work with one of the best trainers in France. He looks better than I have ever seen him now he needs to hit some balls. Fitness wont be an issue. He just has to play now with the new physique. Hired Peter Lundgren as his coach. He will be fine and able to be included in this group.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Gulbis, Monfils, Wawrinka, Ancic, Cilic, &Almagro, just to name a few. :)

smO
06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
My vote goes to Gulbis.

Kim
06-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Gulbis too

vive le beau jeu !
06-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Marcos took a break after Indian Wells to lose weight and work on his fitness. 20 pounds lighter 3 months no tennis just diet and hard work with one of the best trainers in France. He looks better than I have ever seen him now he needs to hit some balls. Fitness wont be an issue. He just has to play now with the new physique. Hired Peter Lundgren as his coach. He will be fine and able to be included in this group.
nice information, thx. :) (how did you get it ?)
i hope the work starts paying this week at surbiton !

carlos djackal
06-05-2008, 04:11 AM
of the bunch i'd say Gulbis is the most promising only maturity is lacking in his game...

malakas
06-05-2008, 05:18 AM
nice information, thx. :) (how did you get it ?)
i hope the work starts paying this week at surbiton !

-I suppose because Jan Silva trains in Mouratoglou academy same as Marcos?;) -

Lundgren is with Marcos in Surbiton this week!Let's hope he gets the much needed playing time on grass starting from this week and has good results in Wimby!:)
I think they will get along excellent with his new coach.

daddy
06-05-2008, 05:29 AM
If we have to choose Gulbis is the obvious choice - calm on court and has all the weapons required. Monfils may feed of his run, but I feel he has to stay put and listen to his coach.

As for Baghdatis, good to hear he has a proper coach and is wokring hard on the aspects of his game which were lacking.

malakas
06-05-2008, 05:59 AM
ok,everyone has some weak and some strong points.

Ancic:Not so young anymore.Was a very bright prospect but with all the stupid accidents he got himself into(waterski etc) and the serious illness,he doesn't take good care of his body and I am not very optimistic.:(
Tsonga: Great player-Too many injuries.He's undergoing a knee surgery again this month.
Monfils: The way he plays,his training,and his injuries,I don't see his carreer lasting long.
Gasquet:Perhaps the most talented of them all.No fighting spirit though,and terrible under pressure.If he finds himself some heart, will do amazing.
Murray: Too much overhyped for his abilities.Great in MickeyMouse tourneys with cake walk draws,but the case is different when it matters in Slams and Masters.
Berdych: Great player-weak mind.Always will be a threat,a top 10 player,maybe win a couple of Masters more but that's all.
Del Potro: Too many health problems
Gulbis: Seems like a great prospect but so far very incosistent.Have to see more of him to judge.
Baghdatis: If he finds some more commitment he will do excellent.Best results so far from all the above,great fighting spirit,he just needs to get more concetrated in tennis..
Wawrinka: If he stays away from injuries-for sure a top 20.

other great young guns:Korolev,Andreev,Querry,Nishikori

vive le beau jeu !
06-05-2008, 06:11 AM
-I suppose because Jan Silva trains in Mouratoglou academy same as Marcos?;) -
that's why i asked the question... so do you think is this poster a TTW spy in the moratoglou academy ? ;)

Lundgren is with Marcos in Surbiton this week!Let's hope he gets the much needed playing time on grass starting from this week and has good results in Wimby!:)
I think they will get along excellent with his new coach.
i hope so !
he is in the 2nd round... i guess he'll play it today.

Murray_Maniac
06-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Djokovic: Next # 1

Nadal: Will be trying hard to get #1, but will not succeed. Will win a few more RG and perhaps a wimb. or 2 if his health doesn't decline rapidly by the next years.

Murray: Great talent. Could succeed if he plays more solidly throughout the year and in grand slams.

Gulbis: IMO, will be a copy of James Blake
Most hard hit strokes, but very inconsistant and wont allow him to win the big ones.

Tsonga, Del Potro: too many injuries

Gasquet: Agree w/ malakas

Wawrinka: Isn't as good as the best.

Monfils: Isn't as fast as he used to be

daddy
06-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Gulbis: IMO, will be a copy of James Blake
Most hard hit strokes, but very inconsistant and wont allow him to win the big ones.

Come on this is not even close. Blake dreams of the kind of backhand and serve Gulbis has. And he's only 19. 209kph average first serve vs Djokovic ( that is something only Karlovic and Ljubucic can do - 130mph average ? ) ???

malakas
06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
that's why i asked the question... so do you think is this poster a TTW spy in the moratoglou academy ? ;)

i hope so !
he is in the 2nd round... i guess he'll play it today.

I suspect he's actually someone close to Jan!:) Great news for us,since we can learn more about Marcos from the inside!!;)
Please dear jansilvatennis!!!!:D

Nellie
06-05-2008, 07:07 AM
I love the games of Cilic and Del Potro

Shaolin
06-05-2008, 11:45 AM

This is awesome news. Cant wait to see how he plays when he comes back fit. The addition of Lundgren is great too.

shwetty[tennis]balls
06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
I love watching Gulbis. He's fairly composed and shows more maturity that these other players don't. I'd put him into the top 20 in 1-2 years.

vive le beau jeu !
06-05-2008, 03:10 PM
This is awesome news. Cant wait to see how he plays when he comes back fit. The addition of Lundgren is great too.
i just saw marcos withdrew from his 2nd round match in surbiton... i hope there's nothing serious. :-?

MariaS
06-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Gulbis. :)

Leublu tennis
06-06-2008, 01:30 AM

Its Monfils. Monfils. Why are you selecting to pick on him?

malakas
06-06-2008, 02:24 AM
i just saw marcos withdrew from his 2nd round match in surbiton... i hope there's nothing serious. :-?

he hurt his ankle probably during practise yesterday.Possibly going to retire from Halle,but still ok for Wimby..:-?

Roland
06-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Gulbis is the only player anyone has mentioned that I think has the talent AND mental fortitude to win a slam or even be a top-5 player.
You can mark Gulbis down though, I'm sure of that ( ya, I know how much of a crapshoot it can be when figuring young players' prospects).
The reason for inconsistent results is obvious: He's 19 and even for his age he's incredibly raw. That's the only reason he's playing challengers, to have a great place to polish off his game. Look at all the major events he has played since the US Open. His results have been consistently good in those. ATM,He wins based almost solely off natural feel of the game and superior stroke production. Once he understands the facets of the game and how best to use his weapons, he is going to be awesome. The mental toughness I've seen from him suggests to me that he won't be a flake like so many other talented players.

/That Eysseric kid looks like a great talent, but I'd have to see him play more.
//Does Tym! have an opinion on the matter?( If he does, I'd like to read it.)

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-06-2008, 08:16 AM
It would have to be Gulbis, he reminds me of Djoker last year without the attitude. Let's hope he has confidence in himself and makes it to the quarter &semi of most of the majors. :)