PDA

View Full Version : Preserving A Racquet

LanEvo
06-04-2008, 07:37 PM
got a question, i wanna preserve a few mfil 300s for later use, should i cut out the strings on them? or just leave them strung?

Automatix
06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes... when stocking up racquets you need to remember that:
- they have to be unstrung
- they need to hang not lay (when you go to a stringer they hang your racquets on hooks, right? So something like that...)
- the place you're keeping you're frames has to be away from any heat sources and direct sunlight
- the storage can't be damp etc.

So hang your unstrung racquets in a cool and dry place and they should be just fine.

dunlop kid
06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
i was just wondering y they have to be unstrung becoz i have a few that im not going to b using for a while and they are strung, will that damage them?

Automatix
06-04-2008, 10:44 PM
There's always such a possibility... depends on tension, type of string etc. ... there are many variables but why risk it?

carlos djackal
06-05-2008, 06:01 AM
Yes... when stocking up racquets you need to remember that:
- they have to be unstrung
- they need to hang not lay (when you go to a stringer they hang your racquets on hooks, right? So something like that...)
- the place you're keeping you're frames has to be away from any heat sources and direct sunlight
- the storage can't be damp etc.

So hang your unstrung racquets in a cool and dry place and they should be just fine.

Thanks for the information.....

hellojeffo
06-05-2008, 06:23 AM
what's the reason for hanging the racquet tho?

kanjii
06-05-2008, 07:05 AM
What about vintage racquets? Do the same apply? I mean is it nicer with the strings in or unstrung? I have a GTX Pro-T.

nickb
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
what's the reason for hanging the racquet tho?

There isnt one...

Not sure where Automatix got that one from!

Stringers hang rackets on hooks to save space and keep the shop floor tidy...

Nick

06-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Niock

New name:confused:

nickb
06-05-2008, 07:33 AM
New name:confused:

Nope....SOZ IT WAZ A TYPO

Lol...:)

Automatix
06-05-2008, 07:40 AM
There isnt one...

Not sure where Automatix got that one from!

Stringers hang rackets on hooks to save space and keep the shop floor tidy...

Nick

Actually Nick the stringers case was given as an example of what I mean...

And I don't exactly know why but I saw a strung frame which spent about 8 years on a shelf crack after being restrung... it was a sad sad view...

I was also suprised but I talked to a stringer who also collects frames (he even had the wooden slazenger which was used by Jadwiga Jędrzejewska at Wimbledon! Yeah sure for you it's nothing but that's the only Polish woman to play in a Grand Slam final) and he said that he has no idea how it happens but some frames can detorate just laying around and they should hang.

Don't know why and honestly don't care... I store my frames this way...

Also I have to say that I once left one of my racquet in my car and although it was hot the frame was okey... but we all know what can happen :)

nickb
06-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Actually Nick the stringers case was given as an example of what I mean...

And I don't exactly know why but I saw a strung frame which spent about 8 years on a shelf crack after being restrung... it was a sad sad view...

I was also suprised but I talked to a stringer who also collects frames (he even had the wooden slazenger which was used by Jadwiga Jędrzejewska at Wimbledon! Yeah sure for you it's nothing but that's the only Polish woman to play in a Grand Slam final) and he said that he has no idea how it happens but some frames can detorate just laying around and they should hang.

Don't know why and honestly don't care... I store my frames this way...

Also I have to say that I once left one of my racquet in my car and although it was hot the frame was okey... but we all know what can happen :)

OK...well its just there is no way that the way in which a racket is stored i.e. on a shelf or on a hook would have an effect on it. The frame on a shelf prob cracked for another reason...like bad stringing or it had been well used.

86C415
06-05-2008, 07:51 AM
If the racquet's strings are very loose, is there a point in cutting 'em out to store the racquet ?

Meaning, I have some racquets (non-woodies) that have been kept in a tennis bag, strung, for nearly 20 years. The string is now very loose, as you'd expect. The racquets' shape is, as far as I can see, perfect.

Automatix
06-05-2008, 07:51 AM
OK...well its just there is no way that the way in which a racket is stored i.e. on a shelf or on a hook would have an effect on it.

Funny isn't it? I also cannot find a different answer...

The frame on a shelf prob cracked for another reason...like bad stringing or it had been well used.

Factory stringjob, it snaped while being strung and it wasn't the stringers fault... ohhh and it wasn't used... 8 years on a shelf with plastic on the handle :)

nickb
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Funny isn't it? I also cannot find a different answer...

Factory stringjob, it snaped while being strung and it wasn't the stringers fault... ohhh and it wasn't used... 8 years on a shelf with plastic on the handle :)

If you think it works then thats all that matters!

Automatix
06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
If you think it works then thats all that matters!

It's just like with pros... Nadal won't play unless he picks his butt :)