PDA

View Full Version : If Sampras and Agassi played an exhibtion

PascalMariaFan
06-05-2008, 05:44 AM
The money would be absolutely insane.

Just in case they're ever strapped for cash.

coloskier
06-05-2008, 12:14 PM
The money would be absolutely insane.

Just in case they're ever strapped for cash.

And Agassi would have to retire in the 2nd set with a bad back, unfortunately.

PascalMariaFan
06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
And Agassi would have to retire in the 2nd set with a bad back, unfortunately.From what I've read, he still plays regularly, and competed in a three set exhibition against Marcelo Rios in Chile.

scotus
06-05-2008, 04:00 PM

The same could be said for Sampras these days. He injured his back and lost to Johnny Mac in a senior event.

pound cat
06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
They'd have wheelchairs waiting for them in the wings when they staggered off court?

matchpoint
06-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Better yet they could just have wheelchair tennis :mrgreen:

West Coast Ace
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm not so sure this would be that big - they played a TON of times. The appeal of King Roger vs. Sampras was the fact that they only played the one time at Wimby. And that was an incredible match and left people thinking 'what if...' And Sampras left the scene and hadn't been seen much since. Now that he's played Fed and some geezer tour thingies, the mystique isn't there.

And the Agassi - Sampras exo would be won before it was played by the conditions negotiated (assuming they were both healthy) - fast track - Sampras serves him off the court - medium - Agassi runs him ragged.

I'll pass, no thanks.

Vision84
06-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I hope this isn't done/ I don't want the greatest rivalry I have witnessed become tainted through exhibitions now.

carlos djackal
06-05-2008, 09:47 PM
They'd have wheelchairs waiting for them in the wings when they staggered off court?

LOL....................

spiritdragon
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
that would be an interesting match. i think agassi would win tho. he seems more fit than sampras.

superman1
06-06-2008, 12:42 AM

Agassi's back is fine when he doesn't have to play a lot of matches. It's only in the grind of the tour that the sciatica kicks in.

I dunno how good this exo would be. Their games really clashed well back when they were quick on their feet and could leap around and play a very physical match. They've both slowed down since then and their returns have diminished.

I know who would win in a fistfight, though. Agassi is looking bulked up these days, even bigger than Sampras the silverback gorilla.

samprasbackhand
06-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, seeing an exhibition between the two woudln't surprise me..I always felt that once Sampras started playing exhibitions, he would eventually play Agassi in one.

superman1
06-06-2008, 12:50 AM
They can't move like this anymore: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AeK_XTv1WOg&feature=related

Rhino
06-06-2008, 01:07 AM
From what I've read, he still plays regularly, and competed in a three set exhibition against Marcelo Rios in Chile.

really! who won?

superman1
06-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Rios won, because it was in Chile. In 3 sets, because it was an exo. The highlights are somewhere, I've seen them before. Agassi's not a very good actor because you can clearly see him feed the ball to Rios instead of going for the shot he would have gone for 100/100 times on tour.