PDA

View Full Version : Cross stringing?Flying clamps?

christian
03-25-2004, 06:07 PM
I have a problem with the flying clamps on my ATS super stringer 2 moving on the cross strings a lot. What will happen is that the clamps will move on the 1st couple crosses because the mains have not tightened up yet from the crosses. I have no problem with movement after the 1st few corsses though. Also does ne1 know or does string and pull the crosses 2 at a time instead of just weaving 1 crosss then pulling which is really slow?

Gaines Hillix
03-26-2004, 05:13 AM
Christian, take a look at the video on sptennis.com in the section on the e-stringer and see how he is using the flying clamps on the crosses. Never pull the crosses two at a time. This results in lower tension on the first of the pair of strings. Pull them one at a time. However, you can weave one ahead. This is also demonstrated in the stringing video I mentioned above.

christian
03-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the advice, found silent partner's website very helpful. The only thing I found puzzling was the time of the speed stringing winner of 15 minutes with a crank. I know someone who can string w/ a drop weight in 10.

johnsheff
03-27-2004, 05:20 PM
the drop weight machines need around 20 seconds for the strings to settle at the tension being pulled, which would need 11 minutes for a 18x16 pattern before allowing for threading and weaving crosses; around 15 minutes is going to be the limit for an accurate string job.

you could of course string much faster if you only tensioned every fourth string and didn't bother with clamping because it doesn't really affect accuracy :-)

David Pavlich
03-27-2004, 08:07 PM
I've heard a lof of claims, but 10 minutes with a drop weight? Not if he is doing a correct string job...pulling one string at a time, fanning the crosses to avoid string burn, ensuring that the drop arm is pulling the correct tension, etc.

I consider myself to be fairly efficient and can't come near 10 minutes on a simple racquet like a POG MP (13 minutes 23 seconds). I know of a couple of tournament stringerst that go below 10 minutes, but these guys have 10,000 plus frames to their names and they're using Babolat Star IIIs, 4s and Sensors.

Sounds fishy to me.

David

christian
03-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Have you heard of the guy getting a full ride to U of I because he can string a raquet in 7 minutes. He's also good at tennis too, but not U of I good.