PDA

View Full Version : More Powerful?

hoodjem
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Given the same strings, the same hitter, and the same stroke, which is more powerful: a flexible racquet or a stiff one?

martin
06-05-2008, 10:45 AM
With 1.191 posts you should know this or you're just stupid.

SFrazeur
06-05-2008, 10:51 AM

I did a quick scan of his post history. Most of his posts are not in the racquets section, but instead are in the General/Former Pro section as well as strings and stringing and other gear. . . it was unfair to call him stupid. All post counts are not equal. Perhaps he rarely visits the gear sections.

-SF

SFrazeur
06-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Given the same strings, the same hitter, and the same stroke, which is more powerful: a flexible racquet or a stiff one?

There are other variables, such as balance, swingweight, that have an impact on power. However, if all variables of player and racquet are the same save for racquet flexibility then the stiffer racquet will be more powerful. I'm out of time, so perhaps someone can give the more technical reasons why. Later.

-SF

fuzz nation
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
According to rumors, the flexible racquet bends back upon impact more than the stiffer one and in both cases, the racquet is bending away from the ball while the strings go through the process of stretching and sending the ball back on its way. Since the stiffer frame gives way less on impact, there's a more efficient transfer of energy through the strings to the ball.

...and no, you're not stupid...

drakulie
06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
as fuzz stated, everything else being equal>>> a stiffer frame will provide more power.

2nd_Serve
06-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Stiffer frame. And the person who called you stupid ... I think it's actually him. It's definately not fair to be calling you stupid for just a question. If you have any similar questions, try reading Technical Tennis. It really gets into the details and technical stuff about tennis.

hoodjem
06-05-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

It was just a question; I am aware that there are conflicting theories. My instincts suggested that a stiffer frame was more powerful, but I was wondering if anyone knew of measured empirical evidence to suggest one or the other.

But I reject the implicit premise of your question, i.e. non I am not stupid, and no, I don't know this--otherwise I wouldn't ask. Thanks again Martin, you're an endearing fellow.

hoodjem
06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
According to rumors, the flexible racquet bends back upon impact more than the stiffer one and in both cases, the racquet is bending away from the ball while the strings go through the process of stretching and sending the ball back on its way. Since the stiffer frame gives way less on impact, there's a more efficient transfer of energy through the strings to the ball.

...and no, you're not stupid...

Thanks. This is an intelligent response that makes sense. I sincerely appreciate it.

hoodjem
06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
I did a quick scan of his post history. Most of his posts are not in the racquets section, but instead are in the General/Former Pro section as well as strings and stringing and other gear. . . it was unfair to call him stupid. All post counts are not equal. Perhaps he rarely visits the gear sections.

-SF

True. Being rather satisfied with my racquets, I do not visit this section often. I hang out in Strings and the General/Former Pro section.