PDA

View Full Version : Should Djokovic's angry shot which hits a lineman be an automatic default?

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I've watched that incident a few times, I still don't get why the umpire or anyone didn't call it? :confused:

Didn't Djoker hit the lineman with that angry shot during the match with Gulbis, shouldn't that be an automatic default? Even if the umpire didn't see it, the other player (Gulbis in this case) and lineman could still call for it, right? :confused:

Disclaimer: no flaming, let's just have a rational discussion.

Vision84
06-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Got a video clip?

SempreSami
06-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Someone's clutching at straws. :roll:

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Got a video clip?

Let's see if I can post the video at Youtube or Google Video.
I didn't aware of it initially, until Justin Gimelstob commented it.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Someone's clutching at straws. :roll:

So you think you know something about the band Marillion. :wink::lol:

flyer
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
by the rules yes, by commen sense judgment no.....i think we need to be rational, in tennis the rules are more of guide lines anyway and there wasn't one person in that statium who thought novak deserved a dq, so no

SempreSami
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I see you have mistaken my comment as a reference to their album of a similar name.

TBH I prefer Yes.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I see you have mistaken my comment as a reference to their album of a similar name.

TBH I prefer Yes.

I hadn't mistaken your intention, I just tried to humor you. :D

Kaptain Karl
06-05-2008, 09:25 PM
First I heard of it. Clip?

- KK

carlos djackal
06-05-2008, 09:25 PM
by the rules yes, by commen sense judgment no.....i think we need to be rational, in tennis the rules are more of guide lines anyway and there wasn't one person in that statium who thought novak deserved a dq, so no

Yap,....hit the point....its a no DQ.....

gj011
06-05-2008, 09:28 PM
This is unbelievable. Some guys here are really out of line with their vendetta against Novak. Was this thread really necessary?

Do you really think that should be a default?

It wasn't intentional. He wasn't trying to hit the linesman. So duh.

NamRanger
06-05-2008, 09:44 PM
This is unbelievable. Some guys here are really out of line with their vendetta against Novak. Was this thread really necessary?

Do you really think that should be a default?

It wasn't intentional. He wasn't trying to hit the linesman. So duh.

I agree it wasn't intentional, but he shouldn't be trying to blast balls at the wall in the first place.

You should really try and learn that Novak does have some negatives about him; every person does. You can white wash them all you want, but the fact is that he still does have negatives like everyone else out there.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Why couldn't this be a rational subject? Isn't it the fact that Djoker hits the lineman? The rule might be subject to interpretation, but it is the rule and fact is the fact, aren't they? The umpire might choose to ignore it, but we can still have a rational debate on it, right? :twisted:

I never ignore you, I respect and never underestimate the capabilities of all my opponents. :)

flyer
06-05-2008, 09:50 PM
idk maybe a point penalty would have been the right move but then people would be up in arms really saying that if the was any penalty it should have been a dq as the rules state; so the umpire was kind of handcuffed in terms of options and i think he made the right move

fluffy Beaver
06-05-2008, 09:56 PM
well... Mardy Fish hit some balls across his body w/o looking (not angrily) and it hit a linesmen and got a point penalty. Forgot which match but it was this year.

RealityPolice
06-05-2008, 10:08 PM
well... Mardy Fish hit some balls across his body w/o looking (not angrily) and it hit a linesmen and got a point penalty. Forgot which match but it was this year.

IIRC, Henman hit a ballgirl in the head with an angry shot during a Wimbledon doubles match and was defaulted for it. (Granted, this was before he was a credible player.)

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 10:08 PM
See, even something was not intentional still got penalized. So is Djoker off the hook too easy on this because the umpire didn't see? I am not jabbing Djoker for this. My point is that if the umpire didn't see it like Justin commented, how come no one said anything or raised it right there. Is it because no one knew that rule there? I must admit that I didn't know that rule until Justin Gimelstob commented it. :confused:

flyboy1
06-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I agree it wasn't intentional, but he shouldn't be trying to blast balls at the wall in the first place.

But guys do this all of the time. I've seen it happen multiple times in a match where player A will hit the ball and it will be barely out and player B hits the ball back to player A, playing the ball because he wasn't sure, and then player A whacks the crap out of it (for practice or out of anger or whatever). Most of the time, the ball doesn't go directly AT a linesperson. Plus, Novak's ball hit the ground right near the baseline, which is not even close to the linesperson. The linesperson could have moved out of the way easily, but didn't. It's one thing if the ball hits the linesperson on the fly, but it bounced WAY before it hit the guy. It wasn't intentional, and the guy could've moved out of the way.

I'm not a Novak fan at all, and I really dislike his family, but this doesn't even come close to a warranting a default. Andre Agassi at Wimbledon (against Pat Rafter, I can't remember which year) was upset about a linesperson's call and on his next serve, he hit the serve at the linesperson and hit him on the fly.......with a serve! Now THAT warrants a default. Did he get defaulted? No. Mike Morrissy (sp?) was in the chair for that match, and he didn't even give Agassi a warning.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, the difference is that the serve was part of the match play, it would be very subjective to decide whether that was intentional or not; even if it was intentional, you just could not penalize him for that because it was part of the play, not something after the point was over.

Edberg's serve down the middle hit the middle lineman's forehead I believe, and the lineman died because of that. But no one believed it was intentional. It was just an accident, so it was different :)

Andre Agassi at Wimbledon (against Pat Rafter, I can't remember which year) was upset about a linesperson's call and on his next serve, he hit the serve at the linesperson and hit him on the fly.......with a serve! Now THAT warrants a default. Did he get defaulted? No. Mike Morrissy (sp?) was in the chair for that match, and he didn't even give Agassi a warning.

thetennisbum
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
As a chair ump, I can tell you its a judgment call. He probably didn't want to make an issue out of it in a packed stadium and on international TV if he wasn't going to do something major. And in the end, basically all defaults are the referee's discretion and you gotta do something pretty bad in a match like that to get any penalty. It may not be fair, but that's the way life works. You make it to the top and you get lenience, you do it on the challengers and you're probably done. Why? No crowd and no press to publish the story. The puck ends there so to speak.

SempreSami
06-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, the difference is that the serve was part of the match play, it would be very subjective to decide whether that was intentional or not; even if it was intentional, you just could not penalize him for that because it was part of the play, not something after the point was over.

Edberg's serve down the middle hit the middle lineman's forehead I believe, and the lineman died because of that. But no one believed it was intentional. It was just an accident, so it was different :)

No, the linesman died because he fell backwards after getting one in the groin and fractured his skull.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 10:41 PM
No, the linesman died because he fell backwards after getting one in the groin and fractured his skull.

Well, thanks for the correction if you are right. Learn something new today. :) I didn't actually see it myself, heard it from a friend, that is why I put in that "I believe".

Fee
06-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Connor Niland was defaulted from a first round match at the Carson Challenger for this last week. He was up a set and a break. He hit the ball back over the net after missing an easy shot without looking and it went upwards like a lob and came down right on a linesman. Bye Connor.

Perhaps Novak was not defaulted because the ball hit the ground first, and that might be part of the rule (but I'm too tired to look it up right now).

ubel
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
IIRC, Henman hit a ballgirl in the head with an angry shot during a Wimbledon doubles match and was defaulted for it. (Granted, this was before he was a credible player.)

As if that should matter.. don't you think that sort of behavior sets a bad example for other pros, as well as displays the wrong image of what tennis is about? It's called self-control, and players' temper tantrums shouldn't be allowed on the court, whether they're a known player or not.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for voicing your views on this, guys/gals. Some really good points too!!! :)

MTXR
06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
thread is worthless without video clips of joker hitting linesman.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-06-2008, 12:01 AM
This is not surprising at all, he has a huge ego and wouldn't dream of apologizing.

Yeah, totally. What was I thinking when I rooted for Djoker a few times last year! :)

SempreSami
06-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Federer is half South African, ergo he's not nice because I doubt you'll ever meet a nice South African.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=de6V90jT4SQ

You seem liek an awfully fickle tennis fan LAFF.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-06-2008, 12:38 AM
You said Federer is not nice, which hole have you being hidden all this time? What does/can that video clip prove? South African or not, Federer and Edberg are undeniably the gentlemen in tennis. From all your posts so far, are you a less fickle tennis fan yourself? ;-):lol:

Federer is half South African, ergo he's not nice because I doubt you'll ever meet a nice South African.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=de6V90jT4SQ

You seem liek an awfully fickle tennis fan LAFF.

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I can not believe that the Mods deleted quite a few of my replied posts in this thread along. :)