PDA

View Full Version : Center Court is the slowest of all courts at Roland Garros - Is that true?

rk_sports
06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Heard this from Djoko at his press conference -- wanted to check if this is true? :confused:

feetofclay
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Heard this from Djoko at his press conference -- wanted to check if this is true? :confused:
rk sports said
"Center Court is the slowest of all the courts at Roland Garros Is this true?"

No it plays faster. Lenglen the other show court plays slower.Following his match on center court on the first Sunday Djokovic said in his press conference that the courts at Roland Garros play faster, so you are not the only one who is confused.

bhallic24
06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
rk sports said
"Center Court is the slowest of all the courts at Roland Garros Is this true?"

No it plays faster. Lenglen the other show court plays slower.Following his match on center court on the first Sunday Djokovic said in his press conference that the courts at Roland Garros play faster, so you are not the only one who is confused.

Look, do you seriously believe that? What OP left off was the other chain of bs Djoker was saying to try and find an excuse for why he lost to Nadal today. Nowhere in there did I hear him give Nadal any credit. Sounds like a case of the Jelena Jancovic disease to me.

Basically in summary of Djokers press conference, " The courts on Center court played much slower than all the other courts which is a major dissadvantage for me because I like to attack with my aggressivity. This unfortuneately plays right into Nadals hands because the ball stays up longer on Center Court than all the other courts."

forzainter
06-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Q. How would you describe the mental toll that playing him takes with so many long physical rallies?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, well, especially here, you know. Not many people know that center court is quite slower than the other courts, especially Suzanne Lenglen and Court 1. They are pretty fast.

Center court suits to his game, and you basically ‑‑ sometimes it's really frustrating when you can't make a winner. My game is based on aggressivity. I try to go for the shots, and I either make mistakes or I make winners and try to put pressure on my opponent.

With him, it's really difficult on this court. Physically‑wise, I had enough time to rest and to prepare, but on the court I didn't feel ‑‑ I didn't feel well.

Probably there is pressure combined, you know, mentally and mental ‑‑ mental ability with the pressure. It's combined with the physical preparation and strength, so there was a lot of stress on the court. Obviously I didn't feel well.

Theres Djokovics exact quote

coloskier
06-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Theres Djokovics exact quote

Actually, he was probably quoting what his mother told him to say.:)

jgn1013
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Actually, he was probably quoting what his mother told him to say.:)

Wonder if he still thinks the "King is Dead" :razz:

deme08
06-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Wonder if he still thinks the "King is Dead" :razz:

he thinks the "dead king" had an easier draw, otherwise he could be in the final instead.

gj011
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Look, do you seriously believe that? What OP left off was the other chain of bs Djoker was saying to try and find an excuse for why he lost to Nadal today. Nowhere in there did I hear him give Nadal any credit. Sounds like a case of the Jelena Jancovic disease to me.

Basically in summary of Djokers press conference, " The courts on Center court played much slower than all the other courts which is a major dissadvantage for me because I like to attack with my aggressivity. This unfortuneately plays right into Nadals hands because the ball stays up longer on Center Court than all the other courts."

Why do you have to lie? He gave a lots of credit to Nadal. Here is the whole interview:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-06/200806061212764595583.html

bhallic24
06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Why do you have to lie. He gave a lots of credit to Nadal. Here is the whole interview:

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-06/200806061212764595583.html

My apologies, my channel must have cut that short, because i didn't see it. But I did hear him b1tchin about how the clay was really slow on center a lot. Then they turned away.

feetofclay
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM

If you had read my post properly you would have noted that I was really saying that Djokovic was making excuses. The first poster had said that from the press conference he had heard that Djokovic was saying that the court played slower. In answer I said that in actual fact center court played faster and that Djokovic himself had said in his first press conference , how fast they played therefore he was contradicting himself in todays' press conference.

bhallic24
06-06-2008, 12:46 PM
If you had read my post properly you would have noted that I was really saying that Djokovic was making excuses. The first poster had said that from the press conference he had heard that Djokovic was saying that the court played slower. In answer I said that in actual fact center court played faster and that Djokovic himself had said in his first press conference , how fast they played therefore he was contradicting himself in todays' press conference.

yea I didn't read your entire post and just the last line and i somehow took it as you being confused about who was right and so I was just trying to steer you away from Novak's bull crap. Guess you already got the point.

Mansewerz
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Yea, i'm watching the Federer match right now and Johnny Mac mentioned that Suzanne lenglen was slower.

bhallic24
06-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I just don't get why Novak makes a big deal out of this other than to use it as an excuse for the loss. I mean even if center court was a little slower so what??? You lost in STRAIGHT SETS. Its not like he lost in 5 hardfought sets and then lost on matchpoint because the ball stayed up a fraction of a second longer and Nadal was able to kill it.

feetofclay
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Suzzanne Lenglen is a show court, but it is not center court. Chatrier is the center court and it plays much faster than Lenglen. Lenglen apparently plays slower because it is watered from underneath.

Nadal_Freak
06-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Lenglen is slower and lower bouncing. Nadal seems to like both courts though I think Chatrier suits him the most.

Zaragoza
06-06-2008, 01:34 PM

Nadal made more winners than Djokovic, I guess he can attack and play aggressive too.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day18/1126ms.html

bhallic24
06-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Nadal made more winners than Djokovic, I guess he can attack and play aggressive too.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day18/1126ms.html

Yea Novaks whole "aggressivity" thing is just bs. Nadals got a wicked attacking backhand rip.

daddy
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
I think its not correct. I do think there are other slower courts in the RG and people mentioned Lenglen and court 1 being slower. That was brought up when Federer was about to play Querrey on Lenglen and it was said that it suits him more because Querrey does like faster surface.

Moose Malloy
06-06-2008, 03:01 PM

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sc...18/1126ms.html

Those stats are false, for some reason RG is just adding 'total service points' won by each player & listing it in the winner column.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=201746

I don't think it is statistically possible for any player to hit 66 winners out of 108 total points won, certainly not on clay.

Zaragoza
06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Those stats are false, for some reason RG is just adding 'total service points' won by each player & listing it in the winner column.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=201746

I don't think it is statistically possible for any player to hit 66 winners out of 108 total points won, certainly not on clay.

Yes, I didnīt check the stats closely. Something is wrong there.
Anyway Nadal had the upper hand in most of the rallies, he didnīt play defensive tennis except for a few games in the 3rd set. That was my point.

zagor
06-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah,Nadal was very agressive today(it surpised me how much he was actually) so slow court excuse doesn't hold water in any way.It wasn't the court,it was Nadal playing possibly his best match on clay I've ever seen him play,Djokovic didn't stand a chance.

daddy
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah,Nadal was very agressive today(it surpised me how much he was actually) so slow court excuse doesn't hold water in any way.It wasn't the court,it was Nadal playing possibly his best match on clay I've ever seen him play,Djokovic didn't stand a chance.

Exactly. He is usually a slow starter. Now he runnes away and gets all over you right out of the blocks and you are surprised. Djoker was. Lost the 2nd service to him ( third game ) and it went down from there. Tactically brilliant from Rafa. He got two cheap sets and there was no looking back. Plus he made 7 unforced errors in first two sets and you know why he whiped the floor with Novak there. Third set was a fightback but Novak gave it his all and came up short.

Good match for Rafa whatever way you look at it.

haerdalis
06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
I think it is also the higher bounce on chatrier. Bruguera and Kuerten liked that too. Bruguera was much tougher to play there than on other clay courts it seems. Rafa is supreme on all clay courts with the possible exception of Hamburg.
Maybe he would lose at my club too where the courts are so bad this year that serve and volley is the best option hehe.

dh003i
06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
he thinks the "dead king" had an easier draw, otherwise he could be in the final instead.

Really? Just like he was going to cream Federer and be in the final at MC? Oh wait, that didn't happen either.

You want to talk about being a beneficiary of a draw and circumstance, look at his situation in Rome, with all the best clay-courters gone.

zagor
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Exactly. He is usually a slow starter. Now he runnes away and gets all over you right out of the blocks and you are surprised. Djoker was. Lost the 2nd service to him ( third game ) and it went down from there. Tactically brilliant from Rafa. He got two cheap sets and there was no looking back. Plus he made 7 unforced errors in first two sets and you know why he whiped the floor with Novak there. Third set was a fightback but Novak gave it his all and came up short.

Good match for Rafa whatever way you look at it.

Yeah,that was a stunning performance from Nadal,he was just on another level.Whether his fan or not one gotta admire the level of tennis Nadal played on in this match against Novak,it was an out of this world performance.Nadal's also rock solid on BPs and SPs,he saved that one SP from Novak like it was nothing and then steamrolled him in a tiebreak.

dh003i
06-06-2008, 05:16 PM
If you read the whole interview (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-06/200806061212764595583.html), you will see the Djokovic is quite fair, and gives due credit to Nadal. Repeatedly says Nadal played smart, aggressive, etc.

This was funny:

Q. Do you have any advice for him [Federer], how to play or...

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I need to give advice to Roger? (laughter.)

I think no. He knows the best.

dh003i
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah,that was a stunning performance from Nadal,he was just on another level.Whether his fan or not one gotta admire the level of tennis Nadal played on in this match against Novak,it was an out of this world performance.Nadal's also rock solid on BPs and SPs,he saved that one SP from Novak like it was nothing and then steamrolled him in a tiebreak.

The guy is just exceptionally great, almost perfect, on clay.