PDA

View Full Version : Racquet and demo question.

Grizvok
06-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I am looking for a mid-size racquet since I'm a bigger guy and I was wondering what some good ones to try would be since I've been away from tennis for almost a year.

I have never demoed racquets before and I was wondering how you truly find the perfect racquet for you? Does it take time after hitting many shots and really getting used to the racquet or do you immediately notice the right racquet after hitting a few shots.

Finally, what are some good Mids to demo? I've been dying to try the MG Prestige and the K Blade, but are there any others I should take for a test drive?

bladepdb
06-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Woo, demoing! Good times!!

When you start out demoing it's important that you understand what you're playing with right now and what you want to improve. You should try to list what's working for you and what's not working for you. Then, start looking at a racquet that keeps what you like but improves on what you need to fix. Unfortunately you did not list what your playing style is, so I can't really suggest anything for you.

Firstly, try to see what racquet technologies will help your style. If you hit with lots of spin, you could try something like the AeroPro Drive which has an aerodynamic design and good maneuverability. You should also explore whether you like a stiffer frame or a more maneuverable frame. That's where the specs can come into play. Of course, a frame that looks good on paper might not be the right one for you. That's where patience comes into play. If you haven't played for a while, it might take you several trials to get a racquet that you can hit well with.

Secondly, you want to judge the "feel" of every racquet you demo. You should do this by playing a variety of strokes non-competitively. That way you can judge that you can hit good strokes with a racquet as well as enjoy playing with it. For instance, you might get a racquet that hits great but ends up giving you arm pain or feels stiff. Then you may want to try another frame that has similar specs but offers a different set of technologies or has a different stiffness, swingweight, etc.

It could be a lengthy process or you could find just the right one on your first try. So be prepared for either. It took me about three weeks to find a good stick.

Lastly, if you think you will enjoy hitting with a racquet, go for it! That's the fun about demoing. You get to try every racquet you like or think it will suit your game so you can find out which one works for you. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes the racquet you think you want ends up hurting your game. That was the case for me. I really liked the AeroPro Drive since I'm a huge Nadal fan and play defensively like he does (well, not exactly like him of course!), but then I tried out racquets and found it didn't work for me. Somehow the K6.1 Tour worked, so I ended up buying it. You never know what will happen, so don't be afraid to try things out!

On that note, the MG Prestige and K Blade are both great racquets to test out for mid-size. If you have been out of the game for a year, chances are you will find those racquets a little demanding. That's why I would suggest not starting out with those right away(from an objective standpoint), but if you are very interested in trying those out, go for it. Not only is no one stopping you, but more importantly it's your choice on what racquet you think you'll enjoy playing with.

Best of luck to you, and keep us updated on what you end up buying!

Grizvok
06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks a lot! I know this reply is a little late but I have been on vacation for the past few weeks at the beach and I have gotten some good tennis in, which means that I am ready to hit with the most demanding racquets out there.

I have yet to demo any racquets so far, but I have gotten pretty comfortable with my FXP Prestige that I had used prior to leaving tennis for about a year. Unfortunately I didn't have time to restring my racquet so I had to use crappy Toalson strings that had been in the racquet for over a year.

As for my gameplay, I am a baseliner and a decent server with a big kicker for my second serve. I hit an extreme-eastern forehand and use a 2HBH with the continental and semi-western grips.

I really want to try and demo multiple racquets so that I know I am getting the right one for me.

To start off I'm thinking of trying the MG Prestige, K Blade, KSix-One Tour 90, and I have no idea about the final racquet.

Feel free to give me a few more racquets that I should try demoing!

bamatennis07
06-23-2008, 07:21 PM
try one of the aerogel midsizes

iLose
06-23-2008, 07:59 PM
I always looked at demoing like this.... whatever helps the weakest part of my game.

Figure that my best shot is my forehand but my backhand is a little wacky at times, when I demo a stick I look for something that will help my backhand the most because I figure I can make my forehand work with any stick given enough time. That is just me though.

have a ton of fun.

Grizvok
06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
I always looked at demoing like this.... whatever helps the weakest part of my game.

Figure that my best shot is my forehand but my backhand is a little wacky at times, when I demo a stick I look for something that will help my backhand the most because I figure I can make my forehand work with any stick given enough time. That is just me though.

have a ton of fun.

Yea, I should really sit down and analyze my game and what shot(s) I have trouble with. My forehand is clearly my weapon, whereas my backhand has been getting insanely better since I switched my left hand to semi-western from Eastern. I am just getting much more margin and I'm still able to flatten the ball out when necessary.

The FXP Prestige was a really nice headlight and midsize frame that was very maneuverable around the net and it caused my volleys to be pretty crisp as well as giving my considerable control with drop-volleys and other "feel" type shots.

I could really see my main weakness being my serve, particularly my second serve where I really don't get the extreme type of spin (and therefore kick) that I crave. Perhaps something with a looser string pattern than the FXP Prestige, like the KSix-One? Although I will admit I am somewhat worried about the shorter grip being insufficient to fit both my hands on for the 2-Hander.

Perhaps it sounds like the KBlade really is THE racquet for me?

Grizvok
06-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Can somebody put my mind to rest when trying out the KSix-One? I am wondering if it accommodates two hands for the 2-HBH.

Thanks.