PDA

View Full Version : Worst aspects of top 10 player's games

Mansewerz
06-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I wanna see what is considered the worst part of a top 10 player's game

David Nalbandian-First serve. Damn, that thing is not very reliable.

daddy
06-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Say Roddick and volleying does not go along too much. Djokovic is not too good at it while we're there. Gasquet has a weak forehand compared to other top 10 players.

anointedone
06-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Federer- mental game
Nadal- serve
Djokovic- volleys
Davydenko- serve
Roddick- movement
Ferrer- serve
Blake- mental game
Nalbandian- mental game
Gasquet- return of serve
Wawrinka- mental game

zagor
06-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Federer- mental game

You don't have a clue.

Federer4life
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Federer- mental game.....haha now thats hilarious!

zagor
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Federer-topspin backhand
Nadal-second serve
Djokovic-volleys
Davydenko-mental
Ferrer-serve
Roddick-approach shots and point construction
Nalbandian-serve
Blake-mental and point construction
Gasquet-mental and forehand
Wawrinka-mental

BeHappy
06-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Gasquet is a snivelling little girl

Atherton2003
06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Federer-topspin backhand
Nadal-second serve
Djokovic-volleys
Davydenko-mental
Ferrer-serve
Nalbandian-serve
Wawrinka-mental

Roddick - aside from his serve, what does he do right?

Seems like most people think these tennis players have mental problems.

Nadal_Monfils
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I would say Nadal needs to improve his 1st serve more than his 2nd serve to earn some easy points, especially at Wimbledon.

pow
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are all great in terms of tennis technique and smarts. They just don't pair up well against certain players and unique techniques.

Federer- great all around but has trouble against high bouncing shots on clay on both forehand and backhand. Lost a few against defensive players, namely Canas and Murray.

Nadal- great all around but could use a fast flat serve to get some free aces. has trouble dealing with flat hitters on fast surfaces. Seemingly vulnerable to some serve and volleyers on fast surfaces (Kendrick and somebody at last year's AO) but he's scraped through the matches.

Djokovic- Good all around, doesn't seem like anyone can outrun Nadal on clay so you can't really blame anyone here. Needs to finish his matches when he's behind though. It's annoying.

Davydenko- needs a bigger serve, hits great solid shots but could use a little more variety and surprise to his game. He usually employs the same strategy of hitting it crosscourt where the opponent is not, surprisingly, he is pinpoint accurate most of the time.

Roddick- volleys, movement, could use a stronger backhand but it is adequate enough to keep him competitive in most matches.

Ferrer- stronger serve and could use more net game. Could use more variety and try to control the points so he doesn't have to do so much running.

Blake- needs a stronger mentality, could use more variety on his backhand. Should employ more angles and strategy instead of trying to pound the balls deep into either side of the court all day. Could use better anticipation.

Nalbandian- needs a stronger mentality, he lets his form slip too often. Plays solid but does not always come up with the goods when the pressure is on... has all the shots but doesn't employ them when he should. Sometimes does not anticipate well when he's not in the zone.

Gasquet- could use a stronger serve, forehand, and more confidence. When he's hitting in the zone, he's great but when he's not confident he doesn't go for much.

Wawrinka- plagued by injury most of the time, I haven't seen enough of his matches to comment but from what I've seen, I didn't see too much variety on his backhand and he wasn't mentally tough enough. Could use more net game.

drakulie
06-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I would have to say Roddick's transition from the baseline to the net.

Trevor
06-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Federer- Top Spin Backhand
Nadal- Variety
Djokovic- Net Game
Davydenko- Confidence
Roddick- Transition
Ferrer- Serve
Blake- Patience
Nalbandian- Fitness
Gasquet- Confidence
Wawrinka- Mentality

Mansewerz
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh yea, sorry to rip on Roddick more, but he's got no touch lol

dh003i
06-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Federer-topspin backhand
Nadal-second serve
Djokovic-volleys
Davydenko-mental
Ferrer-serve
Nalbandian-serve
Wawrinka-mental

Ya know, this is a more reasonable list than the one that said Federer's weakness was "mental". He had moments of that vs. Nadal because Nadal matches up so well against him on clay, and his high topspin backhand is his weakest shot.

Btw, Nadal can have a very tough serve. Watching some of his first serves at Wimbledon last year, I was thinking, "Man, he is serving so hard, just booming it". You can really sense the power he puts into it. But with Federer, his serves have a more "slippery" feel to them, it's like you don't even know they went by you. Not that they're so fast, just kind of, I don't know, "stealthy".

justsomeecho
06-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Fed- beating Nadal on clay (for lack of better)
Nad- net game, flat serve, getting decent draws
Djo- attitude, mouth, endurance
Dav- finishing matches (Ljubicic, anyone?), strategy
Fer- temper, power
Rod- everything but the serve and forehand
Nal- mental, mental, mental
Bla- backhand
Gas- being a girl
Waw- movement

Mansewerz
06-06-2008, 06:23 PM
wow, no one else thinks Nalby's serve is a liability. David himself claimed that the first serve is his worse shot.

justsomeecho
06-06-2008, 06:26 PM
what, are you kidding me? did you not see the guy at his back to back wins last year? his first serve was killer.

flyer
06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
1. Federer-Backhand? Though I don't see it as a weakness bur its his worst stroke
2. Nadal- Serve
3. Djokovic- Temper perhaps, his volleys are better still not great
4. Davy- Consistency and serve
5. Roddick- Movement and volleys
6. Ferrer- No variety
7. Nably- Motivation, weight, consistancy
8. Blake- Backhand, one dimensionality
9. Gasquet- No b@lls
10. Wawrinka- Movement

Mansewerz
06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
what, are you kidding me? did you not see the guy at his back to back wins last year? his first serve was killer.

I also saw him getting burned at Indian Wells because he could not get a first serve in. Perhaps it's too inconsistent?

Rafael_Nadal_6257
06-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Federer- Top Spin Backhand
Nadal- Variety
Djokovic- Net Game
Davydenko- Confidence
Roddick- Transition
Ferrer- Serve
Blake- Patience
Nalbandian- Fitness
Gasquet- Confidence
Wawrinka- Mentality

I like your descriptions of the worst aspects of each top ten players' games, but from watching a lot of Nadal's matches, I would say he has quite a bit of variety. Better than average touch at the net, put away sitters at the net, really good angles, good down the line shots, good shots on the run, drop-shots, slices and topspins his backhand, can flatten out his forehand on demand...etc.

Rafael_Nadal_6257
06-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Fed- beating Nadal on clay (for lack of better)
Nad- net game, flat serve, getting decent draws
Djo- attitude, mouth, endurance
Dav- finishing matches (Ljubicic, anyone?), strategy
Fer- temper, power
Rod- everything but the serve and forehand
Nal- mental, mental, mental
Bla- backhand
Gas- being a girl
Waw- movement

So are you trying to say here that Nadal gets better draws than everyone else?? Even if he does, which he doesn't, nobody does lol, how is that one of the worst aspects of his game???

In addition, Nadal has an often underestimated net game. It is surprisingly good, especially compared to other predominantly clay-court players. He has really good touch, amazing drop volleys, reliable overhead, puts away sitters, angles his volleys well...shows good technique, etc.

And Gasquet being a girl, again, that isn't an aspect of his tennis game...

BkK_b0y14
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't get why people are saying Davydenko's serve is bad...the guy can serve in the 130's pretty consistently.

JohnS
06-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh yea, sorry to rip on Roddick more, but he's got no touch lol

Ofcourse not! He's American :)
American's just love a good pounding and they have no touch or variety. ala Blake, Roddick, Ginepri, etc...

Exceptions: Sampras, Agassi (backhand dropshots), Fish (#2)
That's why they have Bridgette, Steffi, and #2 :twisted:

hold up, isnt Ginepri with a rabbit?

35ft6
06-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Federer- coming over high backhand
Nadal- first serve
Djokovic- ball bouncing
Davydenko- not really sure... maybe not creative with shot patterns
Roddick- not sure if he still does this, but hits a loopy forehand instead of stepping in and going for heat like he used to
Ferrer- no big shot, has to work too hard for wins
Blake- doesn't have a top 20 level plan B when his smash mouth style isn't working
Nalbandian- fitness
Gasquet- is way too instinctive with shot selection, plus fitness
Wawrinka- not really familiar with this guy

Medved
06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't see any of these guys in the top ten improving that much. I think they've all shown us their best. There is not a whole lot more they can do except try to repeat what they've done before and hope that it's enough to get past the draw they are dealt.

Federer's backhand will always be his weakest shot on clay. It's just a part of the game that he adopted when he was trained. His backhand is the best there is on grass in my opinion. It just doesn't work as well on high balls.

And how good is Roddick's serve and forehand that they can cover up all his other relative weaknesses like they do? I think Andy's pretty dang fast for as big as he is, especially on a hard court. I don't think anything he does is going to make him move much better.

Was Ivanisevic better at over 30 than when he was younger because that's when he finally won a Wimbledon? Probably not, I think he just found an easier path.

Look how much Carlos Moya seemed to improve his volleying and tactics over the years. I think he improved a lot, but it didn't win him any more titles. As great a player as he is and still is surprisingly, I venture to say we saw the best of Moya when he was 21. The same is probably true for Nalbandian, Davydenko, Ferrer, Blake, and Wawrinka. Yeah, Ferrer beat Nadal in NY, but come on Nadal was hurt. Does that performance really top the performance of the young Ferrer beating Nalbandian in 2005 at Roland Garros?

And how could I forget the majesty of the 17 year old Boris Becker. He didn't even shave yet when he held that Wimbledon trophy, but how much better did he really get over the years?

The only guy I really think got much better with time was Agassi.

Tempest344
06-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Fed- not a lot...Backhand occasionally
Nad- Serve.
Djokovic- net game, his mouth,
Davydenko- serve and volleys (hard due to height)
Ferrer- Volley game, serve (hard due to height)
Roddick- umm..what game? seriously though he needs to take more risks..too cautious
Nalbandian- the Juicing part..also mental
Blake- Mental..needs more variety when game A isn't on
Gasquet- having "small" hands..serve and Forehand...court positioning
Wawrinka- don't know

lovecr717
06-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't get why people are saying Davydenko's serve is bad...the guy can serve in the 130's pretty consistently.

yeah i think his serving is above average too.

joeri888
06-07-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't get why even in a simple thread like this people have to bash players and say other players have no weaknesses.

Federer - his topspin backhand
Nadal - his serve
Djokovic - net game and fitness
Davydenko - mentality
Ferrer - serve and his volleying
Roddick - movement
Nalbandian - his serve and consistency
Blake - patience and touch (he never looks like being one of the most intelligent players on tour, which he is)
Gasquet - forehand is relatively weak and of course his mental strength.
Wawrinka - don't have seen him enough on all surfaces to judge.

h7hugo
06-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Roddick - aside from his serve, what does he do right?

Seems like most people think these tennis players have mental problems.

I don't think that's only the serve that made Roddick stay in the top 10 since 2003!!

Rafael_Nadal_6257
06-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Roddick has a pretty huge forehand, a bit too spinny at times, but has solid pace and creates opportunities. Roddick also has a very good second serve, in addition to his big first serve. His backhand is good enough to get him out of trouble and to rally with players out of the top 3...His movement isn't that bad for as big as he is.

nickb
06-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Roddick: Volleys
Roddick: Approach shots
Roddick: Movement

Did I mention that Roddick cant volley? :)

2nd_Serve
06-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Federer- mental game
Nadal- serve
Djokovic- volleys
Davydenko- serve
Roddick- movement
Ferrer- serve
Blake- mental game
Nalbandian- mental game
Gasquet- return of serve
Wawrinka- mental game

Federer mental game? Are you mental?

daddy
06-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't see any of these guys in the top ten improving that much. I think they've all shown us their best. There is not a whole lot more they can do except try to repeat what they've done before and hope that it's enough to get past the draw they are dealt.

Your post is okay but I think you overlooked a few crucial points. For example you say guys did not improve all that much once they reach the top 10 but to me Federer improved a whole lot of things including consistancy ( backhand although a weakness even now on clay, it was horrible back some 6- 7 years ago ) and especially mental part of his game. I see Lendl improved his mental aspect of the game so much that he came back from being a biggest loser in finals ( lost 6-7 straight slam finals ?? ) to winning 8 slams at the end. And most of them after the 25th birthday. Go figure. Muster anyone ? Nadal is improving in my book minute by minure. I see Djoker using his serve to excelent effect now while a couple of years ago he was awfull. And he and Rafa are 21 and 22, a lot of room for improving.

msc886
06-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Federer- mental game
Nadal- serve
Djokovic- volleys
Davydenko- serve
Roddick- movement
Ferrer- serve
Blake- mental game
Nalbandian- mental game
Gasquet- return of serve
Wawrinka- mental game

Federer mental game? Mental game is quite important to win 12 slams and stay at no.1 for as long as he has. He makes 2004 seems like yesterday

TheTruth
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Federer- mental game
Nadal- serve
Djokovic- volleys
Davydenko- serve
Roddick- movement
Ferrer- serve
Blake- mental game
Nalbandian- mental game
Gasquet- return of serve
Wawrinka- mental game

I agree! These are good!

TheTruth
06-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Federer - His passivity. When he's losing, or struggling he looks lost out there, when the other guy doesn't let up, he loses.

Nadal - Leaving balls short in the court.

Djokovic - Throwing his body into every shot. Looks like injuries down the road.

Davydenko - Doesn't believe he belongs with the big boys.

Ferrer - Lack of variety. Only does two things well, retrieve and run, needs to learn a transition game.

Roddick - Transition game, predictability. I know where Roddick's next shot is going. He never changes up.

Nalbandian - Too inconsistent. Sometimes a lack of desire.

Blake - The belief that he belongs there, and the refusal to reign his game in when he's not firing on all cylinders.

Gasquet - Too timid. Doesn't believe in himself, or in what others have been telling him, or inability to deal with pressure.

Wawrinka - Too new to the top ten to have data.