PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think FED has any chance at all?+TalkTactics

BeHappy
06-06-2008, 07:18 PM
This as to be the first year where no one thinks Fed has any chance of winning at all.

I think for Fed to have a chance of winning, he needs to Gamble, Big Time.
Go for lines, push his game to it's absolute limits.

He might lose big, but at least he'll have some prospect of winning.Kind of the Radek Stepanek/Marat Safin approach.

LarougeNY
06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
He played perfectly fine in Hamburg, actually even better than nadal for much of the match. He played alright at Rome before that, so i think he has his tactics down. It's more mental from now onwards for fed.

Mr. Ding
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Every year it gets worse for Roger. Last year he was very tired after that final, and couldn't give a proper interview. I just hope he will not have to be carried off the court like a broken down horse. That is no way for champion's career to end.

Nadal_Monfils
06-06-2008, 07:40 PM
His career is ending after this match?

bhallic24
06-06-2008, 07:54 PM
1 in 8 chance on sunday. Federer needs NAdal to bring his off game to have a chance I just think the topspin and powerful ripping backhand of nadal's is too much unless he's off his game. Plus Federer needs to get a more powerful backhand and stop just simply slicing the ball back into play. The ball stays up so long at garros that nadal can just kill it afterwards.

nn
06-06-2008, 07:56 PM
if Nadal plays like he played in semi he will win in four as always

Medved
06-06-2008, 08:19 PM
This as to be the first year where no one thinks Fed has any chance of winning at all.

I think for Fed to have a chance of winning, he needs to Gamble, Big Time.
Go for lines, push his game to it's absolute limits.

He might lose big, but at least he'll have some prospect of winning.Kind of the Radek Stepanek/Marat Safin approach.

I'd like to see Roger try it. Did anyone else notice Djokovic seemed to have better results when he gambled more. He fired off three winners in a row after the match was all but over when he went down 0-6 in the tie break. It still wasn't enough to win but at least he gave himself a chance to win that way.

But admittedly if I got all the way to finals of Roland Garros, it'd be very hard for me to convince myself to change anything. Granted, Roger has been through this three times already, but I've only really seen him play one style of game that has given him success. I've never seen him win a match by attacking the net. Part of me believes that Roger doesn't change his strategy because he knows that won't work either.

Even Agassi, probably the greatest player ever at avoiding giving up ground by flicking big groundstrokes back from his shoelaces or even taking them out of the air, stood no chance against Nadal at Wimbledon and I don't think that was because Andre was old. Agassi had superhuman vision and hand eye coordination but it still wasn't enough.

And how much variety really exists in tennis at the pro level? How many ways are there to win a match. Looking at the mens tour I don't see much variety. One strategy seems to have one out. The biggest thing that sets Nadal apart is that he's a right handed person who plays left handed. Kudos to his Uncle Toni for being willing to try something new. But you can't learn to play left handed over night, or in my opinion as an adult.

Nadal really is head and shoulders above the competition. Who will surpass Nadal someday? Will it just be a bigger and stroner man? Or will it be something innovative like the double handed racket or two forehands, or a Dr. Frankenstein who finds a way to develop a human eye that can track and anticipate a 130 mph twisting ball better. Whatever it is, it's going to take life time. It's not going to be a set shots cooked up on a chalkboard, though I wish Roger could prove me wrong on that.

My guess is that the schedule, injury, or age will beat Nadal on clay long before we see any players who can.

herosol
06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
nope. Federer could play his best and still lose in straight sets.
Sorry, but Nadal is King on Clay.

Hope Federer gives up his baseline play, and just fires straight for net points.
Cause from what we've seen, you WILL NOT win against Nadal from the back.

Perhaps then Federer can get closer to making it a 5 Set-Match.
But even then, i believe Federer will not win.

flyer
06-06-2008, 08:29 PM
i really think this one will be a blood bath, i thought he had a shot the last two years but this year i really think he does not, not at all

WhiskeyEE
06-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I believe. I wouldn't be watching the match if I didn't think that he had some chance, if even small.

Purostaff
06-06-2008, 08:31 PM
As long as he doesn't tank, he should be fine...

armsty
06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
IMO if Fed needs a big service game. If he is on song with his serves, and plays a very aggressive game, he will push Nadal to the limit, but I cannot go past Nadal winning

xsuper
06-06-2008, 09:18 PM
I bet roger could beat nadal if he used babolat.
Who uses a 90sqin on sqin oa surface where consistency is key?

Fumoffu
06-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I bet roger could beat nadal if he used babolat.
Who uses a 90sqin on sqin oa surface where consistency is key?

those who hit consistently with a 90sqin. dur

CyBorg
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a hard time imagining Roger winning this.

If he wins it in any other way than a fluky Nadal injury he's the legend to drown all legends.

But how to do it? I just don't see it. He can't really hurt Nadal. He can't tire him.

The only thing he can try to do is hit the lines, but to do that for five sets? Impossible.

Maybe Fed and Higueras have something up their sleeve. They must. If it's the same old I'm asking for my money back.

jetlee2k
06-06-2008, 09:52 PM
As much as I like to see Federer beat Nadal in the FO this year but his chance probably 1 out of 9 I guess.. Federer needs to play fearlessly.. Don't try to hang around with Nadal at the baseline.. Use more slice, drop shots then jump to the net.. Nadal is just too too good on clay.. I would buy everyone a beer (well on this TW forum a virtual beer) if Fed beat Nadal.. I like Nadal too but I want to see Fed complete his slams.. GO GO Roger... I pray for you..

ACE of Hearts
06-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Why hire Higueras?I just better not see Fed staying way behind the baseline.I would like to see him take the ball early against Nadal.

flyer
06-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Everyone always says that he needs to "be aggressive," "serve and volley," "go for his shot," etc, w/e i greatly disagree...

hes been going with the aggressive game plan the last like 10 times hes played Nadal on clay and it still hasn't worked, it may work for a short period of time but over the course of a match the strategy is ineffective because Nadal uses that aggression against you, he frustrates you into going for too much and committing errors, he hits ridiculous winners from defensive positions, and puts balls at your feet when at net so the volley is all but impossible....being aggressive is not the answer, as has been proved

I'm alone on this but I think the only way to beat Nadal on clay is to out-Nadal Nadal, that means hunkering down and getting dirty, make a lot of balls and concentrate on defense, make Nadal hit that extra shot, stay in points and force Nadal to commit errors, be ready to play long hard points and be ready to grind for five hours and five sets, know your enemy and beat him at his own game, break him down physically, Federer has said he is in better shape than Nadal so prove it, prove you can grind him into submission...out-Nadal Nadal, its the only way

i know it sounds crazy and i know im alone on this but its like every player goes out there aggressive and every player gets beat, so being aggressive has an about 0% chance of working

clay is about patients, not reckless abandon

acher
06-06-2008, 10:23 PM
there's no way he would win, probability is lower than ever before. it would be awesome to see it happen but there's just no way in hell.

ACE of Hearts
06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I will say that Roger needs the first set more then Nadal does.He needs to start early otherwise he will give up.

1970CRBase
06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Federer 2008 < Federer 2007 < Federer 2006

Nadal 2008 > Nadal 2007 > Nadal 2006

It's easy to suggest Federer try something radically different this time, he can't do worse than lose to Nadal which he has been doing for the past 3 years. Try serve and volley whole match, try using 110 sq in racqet, try his ultra secret weapon 2 hand back hand that he has been secretly practicing for months which will shock everybody into rofl ....

This year, Nadal's like a mountain out there...

The problem with saying Player X should try this against Player Y, whether it's by fans or by commentators is that they didn't ask Player Y's opinion, the only opinion that counts, in this case Nadal. They didn't ask Nadal what he thinks Federer should do to beat him.

The only way Nadal will ever lose at French is a combination of two things stated above .

I'm alone on this but I think the only way to beat Nadal on clay is to out-Nadal Nadal, that means hunkering down and getting dirty, make a lot of balls and concentrate on defense, make Nadal hit that extra shot, stay in points and force Nadal to commit errors, be ready to play long hard points and be ready to grind for five hours and five sets, know your enemy and beat him at his own game, break him down physically, Federer has said he is in better shape than Nadal so prove it, prove you can grind him into submission...out-Nadal Nadal, its the only way

AND

My guess is that the schedule, injury, or age will beat Nadal on clay long before we see any players who can.

It's just that it's unlikely IMO that it will be Roger Federer who will be the one to scale Mount Nadal.

urban
06-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Every day is a new day, and tennis is a game of daily form. So Federer is in with a chance, he is too good, no Chris Lewis or Baghdatis without a glimmer of hope. Maybe is was too easy for Nadal so far, he has to be bleeding to get on the right furor, for fully exploiting his fighter mentality. On the other hand, this court is his: The high flying bounce with much spin after hitting the ground, gives Nadal's shots more depth than they have, and makes it difficult für Fed's backhand. Nadal looks in ominous form, and simply he is the better clay courter.

carlos djackal
06-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I Believe D' Fed Has A Chance, We Just Don't Know Who Would Show Up In The Final, Is It The Fed Of Old Or The Struggling Fed We All Saw In The Semis.....

1970CRBase
06-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Fed Of Old in his old God mode will have a chance.

my guess is that unless he has some super secret tactic he has been working on, we will just see what we've seen over the past three years - and the over all result will stay just the same but the score itself could be even worse.

shintan17
06-07-2008, 12:38 AM
It's impossible to stay aggressive and being solid for the whole match, but I think that's the only way Federer has a chance to beat Nadal. Fed needs to have a best ball striking day of last 2-3 years as well as at least over high 60s for the first serve %. Even then, I am afraid that won't be enough if Nadal brings his A game. After watching Nadal demolishing everyone in this tournament, I don't think any human on the earth could beat this guy on THIS COURT unless he is injured or the court is wet and mud.

Rhino
06-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Every year it gets worse for Roger. Last year he was very tired after that final, and couldn't give a proper interview. I just hope he will not have to be carried off the court like a broken down horse. That is no way for champion's career to end.

Dude he was just disappointed. Did you see Nadal at Wimbledon? Nobody likes to lose a grand slam final.

Rhino
06-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Even Agassi, probably the greatest player ever at avoiding giving up ground by flicking big groundstrokes back from his shoelaces or even taking them out of the air, stood no chance against Nadal at Wimbledon and I don't think that was because Andre was old. Agassi had superhuman vision and hand eye coordination but it still wasn't enough.

Agassi could barely move out there, are you kidding? That was not the Agassi of 1989 - 2003, which would've been a proper indication.

benasp
06-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Maybe i'm the only one with this opinion but watching the 2008 French Open, it seem that federer had quite success the few point he grinded back nadal. SOmeone post a thread about out-nadal nadal. I think he was right. federer was triing too much for the line and comming to the net.

He has the talent to grind nadal back, he should try this next years, anyway, it can't get worse!!

federer envies me
06-15-2008, 12:37 PM
i don't think its possible to out-nadal nadal for 3 sets straight. Nadal is just to good.

TheTruth
06-15-2008, 07:43 PM
i really think this one will be a blood bath, i thought he had a shot the last two years but this year i really think he does not, not at all

Wow! You really called this one!