PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Pro

bladepdb
06-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Has anyone here ever played with a pro on tour? Anyone played with a big tennis player (e.g. Top 50 on tour)? I know a lot of people have seen pros practicing at tournaments, and I for one am interested in traveling and actually meeting some pros.

Yeah I know they have a hectic schedule and all so it's not like I'm going to get some one - on - one time with any of them, but a) I'm just curious what the odds are of a regular guy being able to get close to a pro and b) you never know!

armsty
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I wish mate. I wish :p

airdupont
06-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I still practice with someone who used to be top 100. He has beaten Federer, Larsson, etc...

flyer
06-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I still practice with someone who used to be top 100. He has beaten Federer, Larsson, etc...

Does he have a name?

Rickson
06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Has anyone here ever played with a pro on tour? Anyone played with a big tennis player (e.g. Top 50 on tour)? I know a lot of people have seen pros practicing at tournaments, and I for one am interested in traveling and actually meeting some pros.

Yeah I know they have a hectic schedule and all so it's not like I'm going to get some one - on - one time with any of them, but a) I'm just curious what the odds are of a regular guy being able to get close to a pro and b) you never know!

Close as in during a match? The only way a "regular guy" can come close to a pro during a match is if the pro decides to mess around and I mean really mess around. These guys are on another level and it's not a step above, it's a giant leap.

bladepdb
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Nah I think it's fairly easy to get real close to a pro during a match by having some good seats. But I actually mean like getting to say "Hi" or throwing a compliment and actually having them hear you rather than your comment being drowned out by hundreds of fans :P

So far all the people posting that have said they got a pro's racquet or something like that have usually gotten that close during practice sessions, so I'm guessing that's probably the best venue.

Fee
06-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I hit with Jan-Michael for a little bit today, it was fun (and hard work, good goddess I am out of shape).

bladepdb
06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
So how do you actually get close enough to talk/hit with a pro?

flyer
06-06-2008, 11:01 PM
So how do you actually get close enough to talk/hit with a pro?

i've met a whole bunch of them, the hitting is the hard part

jmsx521
06-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Does he have a name?
That's funny!

So how do you actually get close enough to talk/hit with a pro?You have to get through the security guards first, just to meet his agent.... And then, it's quite likely the agent will say he has to call the lawyer to see if you can schedule appointment...

I hit with Jan-Michael for a little bit today, it was fun (and hard work, good goddess I am out of shape).We always knew Fee has something going on with Jan-Michael!

bladepdb
06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
You have to get through the security guards first, just to meet his agent.... And then, it's quite likely the agent will say he has to call the lawyer to see if you can schedule appointment...

Well I wouldn't expect any less, though I don't know about the lawyers getting involved for a chat during practice sessions lol. So then how do people go watch players practice? I mean Roddick was actually at the tennis center I play at regularly just a few weeks ago and my friend got to see him play and what not (he didn't actually talk to him or anything but I do consider think if you can get that far easily it wouldn't be that much harder to talk to him/her).

nickb
06-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I play against a coach that used to be top 200 and top 20 U18...he beats me anywhere from 6-0 to 6-4 depending on how he is hitting...he only plays once every 3 weeks at a decent level so is very out of shape! I play 5.0.

He hits every ball back right onto the baseline, has jaw dropping volleys/touch and has a 2HBH that is simply amazing...its great to play him.

Nick

ledor
06-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I hit with Michael Chang for a few weeks in his sports league, the 2008 Michael Chang who just joined the Blackrock Seniors Tour. Lol. Not the 90's Chang. He looks the same both decades though.

jmsx521
06-07-2008, 03:44 PM
And how is Chang hitting nowadays? As good as before, or not? "He looks the same"... you mean he still maintains that heavy-duty muscle? He still must be working-out every day then!

bladepdb
06-07-2008, 04:37 PM
That's pretty cool hitting with Chang. I can imagine it's easier to hit with a retired player than it is a touring player!

Love40
06-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I don't remember the guy's name, but back in about 1982 we hosted two pro players that were in S. Fla for a couple of tournaments. They stayed at our house for about 2 weeks.

My father, completely an amateur weekend at the club type player, hit with one of them, just goofing around one evening. My dad's always had a pretty good serve, and to this day he remembers aceing the pro that night. One reason he remembers it so clearly was the response it prompted from the pro. He was ****ed! He didn't take it in a good natured way at all and acted a little less friendly the whole remaining time he stayed with us.

At 76 it still makes Dad chuckle thinking back to that day.

MichaelChang
06-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I hit with Michael Chang for a few weeks in his sports league, the 2008 Michael Chang who just joined the Blackrock Seniors Tour. Lol. Not the 90's Chang. He looks the same both decades though.

Yeah we had a good time. ;-)

WBF
06-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't remember the guy's name, but back in about 1982 we hosted two pro players that were in S. Fla for a couple of tournaments. They stayed at our house for about 2 weeks.

My father, completely an amateur weekend at the club type player, hit with one of them, just goofing around one evening. My dad's always had a pretty good serve, and to this day he remembers aceing the pro that night. One reason he remembers it so clearly was the response it prompted from the pro. He was ****ed! He didn't take it in a good natured way at all and acted a little less friendly the whole remaining time he stayed with us.

At 76 it still makes Dad chuckle thinking back to that day.

Seems a bit dumb. I would imagine anyone with a reasonable serve would get an ace if they had the chance to serve to a pro a few times. Why would a pro get mad at that? Did your dad rub it in? Weird...

On topic... Only former pro's. It's amazing how well they still play, even in their middle ages. It's hilarious watching D1 players expect to blow the old farts off the court, only to get dominated...

Andres
06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I played a lot against Horacio Zeballos, now ranked #345 although he was 198 a year ago. And I'm proud to say I've beaten him 12 times

(Of course, I lost 55 matches, including the last 35 or so :p)

We played a friendly match last year. He won 6-3, 6-2 but he was not really trying and I'm a bad matchup for him. I'm sure he'd double bagel me if he wants to :p

Mansewerz
06-07-2008, 07:48 PM
For some reason I'm really surprised to see so many people play pro's, low ranked or former. I dunno, just seems to common. Or maybe I need to start playing pro's.

BeHappy
06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I played a lot against Horacio Zeballos, now ranked #345 although he was 198 a year ago. And I'm proud to say I've beaten him 12 times

(Of course, I lost 55 matches, including the last 35 or so :p)

We played a friendly match last year. He won 6-3, 6-2 but he was not really trying and I'm a bad matchup for him. I'm sure he'd double bagel me if he wants to :p

that's incredibly impressive that you beat him twelve times though.

Let me guess, his returns the weakest part of his game? ;)

Love40
06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Seems a bit dumb. I would imagine anyone with a reasonable serve would get an ace if they had the chance to serve to a pro a few times. Why would a pro get mad at that? Did your dad rub it in? Weird...

No, he didn't rub it in, this guy just had a big ego and was embarassed at getting aced by a hack.

bladepdb
06-07-2008, 08:26 PM
So I can see that a lot of you guys have had the opportunity to hit with a pro -- how did that opportunity open up though is my question.

tennis_hand
06-07-2008, 08:32 PM
So I can see that a lot of you guys have had the opportunity to hit with a pro -- how did that opportunity open up though is my question.

It comes up when you start typing in this forum.

J011yroger
06-07-2008, 08:32 PM
On topic... Only former pro's. It's amazing how well they still play, even in their middle ages. It's hilarious watching D1 players expect to blow the old farts off the court, only to get dominated...

Yea, they are still absurdly good. They just can't play 5 matches in 5 days anymore.

Training with a guy who was up there in the late 70s early 80s and it is just incredible how good the guy is.

J

bladepdb
06-07-2008, 08:36 PM
It comes up when you start typing in this forum.

Haha, well that's great to know that I'm starting out in the right place. But I have a feeling that Federer doesn't frequent these forums! :P

Fee
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM

I waited almost five years to hit with JMG, so just be patient.

Okay seriously, if you live close to a city that has a Futures or Challenger tournament, see if there is a Pro-Am event and sign up for it. Voila, hit with a pro.

Swissv2
06-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I am hoping to hit with a pro soon. Apparently, my hitting partner was a tennis coach and one of the other tennis coaches along with him ended up being a personal coach for a fellow on tour.

I do not know the fellow's name yet, but I will do my best to see if I can hit with the pro, as well as tape it - no matter how bad I look.

Andres
06-08-2008, 02:45 PM
that's incredibly impressive that you beat him twelve times though.

Let me guess, his returns the weakest part of his game? ;)
Not particularily. But he's a big hitting lefty. For a claycourter, he doesn't really has that big of a patience, so he hated trying to pass me at the net every single point.

His forehand is huge, but really error-prone. And does NOT like to hit knee-height shots, so I kept slicing to his forehand for a couple of free points. But after grooving his passing shots, ikeep coming in was a nightmare. I'm proud to say I had 3 BPs last time we played. Of course, I blew them all :p

Still, he's way better than me and could double bagel me at will. He doesn't do it cause he knows I can kick his ***. LITERALLY. :mrgreen:

Mikael
06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I hit with Cedric Pioline last year, it was fun. It was my first time hitting with a guy that good, but I wasn't all that impressed. He was taking it a bit too easy for my liking, not really running for shots, etc. Still, I caught glimpses of his greatness, like whenever I tried upping the pace he'd do the same with apparently 0 problem, even when I hit hard deep shots, he didn't seem to even struggle one bit. It would've been even more fun to play points, but we didn't have the time...

Katlion
06-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, unless you count Luke Jensen, who was a GIANT in real life... I can only imagine Murphy,who is about 4 inches taller... then, no, I have not had the luck to hit with a pro, although I have hit with guys that have played on the ATP tour, but their career high rankings have been about like 500 tops. But, I have had the chance to meet and chat with guys like Guillermo Canas, and Ivan Ljubicic. Canas even gave me a kiss on the cheek when he met me :).

bladepdb
06-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, unless you count Luke Jensen, who was a GIANT in real life... I can only imagine Murphy,who is about 4 inches taller... then, no, I have not had the luck to hit with a pro, although I have hit with guys that have played on the ATP tour, but their career high rankings have been about like 500 tops. But, I have had the chance to meet and chat with guys like Guillermo Canas, and Ivan Ljubicic. Canas even gave me a kiss on the cheek when he met me :).

Ah that's awesome. So I guess going back to my question about how to get that close (i.e. to chat), how did that happen for you?

D. Nelson
06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
...actually 'I' was ASKED to hit with/warm up...I think it was (Paul) Agenour (sp?) a few years back.....and have hit a few balls.... I'd say that the biggest difference (to me) was consistency (their overall average consistency was about the same as a 5.5 really TRYING !!), and how they could amp-up on demand (most of the time)....to either change the tempo/pace of a rally or to get out of trouble...or to just go for a position shot/winner...... :)

Shaolin
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
...actually 'I' was ASKED to hit with/warm up...I think it was (Paul) Agenour (sp?) a few years back.....and have hit a few balls.... I'd say that the biggest difference (to me) was consistency (their overall average consistency was about the same as a 5.5 really TRYING !!), and how they could amp-up on demand (most of the time)....to either change the tempo/pace of a rally or to get out of trouble...or to just go for a position shot/winner...... :)

Are you talking about Ronald Agenor? I think hes about 38-40 and an ex journeyman pro, was on tour forever.

The only "real" pro Ive hit with was Bruno Echagarray in 2000 or 01, the guy now known for flipping out after being called for a foot fault on match pt at a challenger. He was actually quite cool. We played some practice tiebreaks, no sets. Ive also played many futures level players ranked around 1000 or higher.

10nisDude~
06-08-2008, 06:56 PM
...i've hit with a filipino Davis Cup team member (^_^)...

D. Nelson
06-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Shao....that's him....Like I said, it was a 'few' years ago...Hahahaa!! He always rememnded me of Hicham Arazzi.......

HoVa
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I've hit with Andy Murray.

(not THAT andy murray. a fat and bald guy on my public courts that uses a Wilson Hammer 2.7)

topsltennis
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
3 page thread about this last week.......

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=201980

callitout
06-09-2008, 07:16 AM
I hit with David Pate at the MGM a couple weeks ago in Vegas. Anyone can do it for $125. He's a very nice guy, and gives a great workout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Pate
He's in his mid 40's still in good shape and serves hard.
He plays a relatively flat/slice style so its not very exciting compared to the any south american you can with at Saddlebrook. But he's damn hard to win points off of. And his serve and volley are still really good.

johnathan smith
06-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Are you talking about Ronald Agenor? I think hes about 38-40 and an ex journeyman pro, was on tour forever.

The only "real" pro Ive hit with was Bruno Echagarray in 2000 or 01, the guy now known for flipping out after being called for a foot fault on match pt at a challenger. He was actually quite cool. We played some practice tiebreaks, no sets. Ive also played many futures level players ranked around 1000 or higher.

I watched Ronnie Agenor hit at a challenger 2 years ago in Mobile Alabama.
He practiced with Lesley Joseph (was coaching him at the time) and was just destroying him.
Agenor was quick, consistant, and probably had the biggest, most effortless looking forhand I had ever seen.
His serve was massive and he was just world class in general.
Later on in the week I saw him playing practice matches with a few of the main draw guys (Brendan Evans etc.) and he was just wearing them out.
He was late 30's at the time....
Just Awesome to watch him hit.

nytennisaddict
06-09-2008, 07:49 AM
I hit with David Pate at the MGM a couple weeks ago in Vegas. Anyone can do it for $125. He's a very nice guy, and gives a great workout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Pate
He's in his mid 40's still in good shape and serves hard.
He plays a relatively flat/slice style so its not very exciting compared to the any south american you can with at Saddlebrook. But he's damn hard to win points off of. And his serve and volley are still really good.
I took a lesson with him last year... excellent coach. I was scribbling down notes for 20+ minutes trying to remember all the things he was telling me during my lesson (took a playing lesson where he analyzed everthing from stroke technique to strategy and shot selection).

Puma
06-09-2008, 08:08 AM
I hit with a woman 36 years old who used to play pro tennis. She plays about one a year now. Holly molly.......Every adult 3.5 to 4.5 male should get a taste of that. Unbelievable angles off my best shots. And her passing shots were just ungettable. The good thing is she hit it past me so well there was no need for a lot of running.......I hit with her several times. Her advice to me was racket prep and court positioning.

bladepdb
06-09-2008, 11:59 AM
3 page thread about this last week.......

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=201980

Learn how to read dumb*****. I actually asked HOW you get to play with a pro, people just started sharing who they've played with by their choice. If they want to share WHO they've plaeyd with, by all means there's a thread for that. Haven't seen one for HOW.

WBF
06-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Learn how to read dumb*****. I actually asked HOW you get to play with a pro, people just started sharing who they've played with by their choice. If they want to share WHO they've plaeyd with, by all means there's a thread for that. Haven't seen one for HOW.

bladepdb: The only experience I have had came through tournaments. If you play in various opens or national tourneys, chances are you will come across a former pro at some point.

NamRanger
06-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Had a ranked 500 pro come by my area not too long ago. 6'5 huge serve. It was scary to say the least trying to return it.

topsltennis
06-09-2008, 12:30 PM

WTF??? I was trying to show that others had commented about this in another thread- thought it might interest you. Evidently I DID misread your post. Don't be suck a *****.

tennis_guy
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I had coaching by someone who said he was going to turn pro when he was younger, but he said he had a shoulder injury. Plays tournaments around the country now I think.