PDA

View Full Version : Mac Does It Again

hoodjem
06-07-2008, 07:01 AM
In the post-match commentary of the 2008 Women's Final at Roland Garros, McEnroe states "Justine Henin is the most talented women's player I have ever seen."

Not Chris, not Martina, not Steffi, not Monica, not Serena or Venus, not Mary Carillo. Of course, maybe he never saw them, he was pretty busy playing singles and doubles, and even mixed doubles.

Mac just can't help himself from offering up these mega-superlatives. They just flow from him like water.

0d1n
06-07-2008, 07:18 AM
In the post-match commentary of the 2008 Women's Final at Roland Garros, McEnroe states "Justine Henin is the most talented women's player I have ever seen."

Not Chris, not Martina, not Steffi, not Monica, not Serena or Venus, not Mary Carillo. Of course, maybe he never saw them, he was pretty busy playing singles and doubles, and even mixed doubles.

Mac just can't help himself from offering up these meta-superlatives. They just flow from him like water.

Well, she is also the most talented player I have ever seen. Go figure ... :confused:

Jimmyk459
06-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I agree....

West Coast Ace
06-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, let's go down the list:

Chris - groundie robot with ZERO net game.
Martina - lame BH
Steffi - lame BH; could hit basic volleys but not expert
Monica - another groundie robot
Williams Sisters - bashers who STILL don't know how to construct points; underachieving net games.

If you were going to throw names out to make him look dumb, you should have offered up Billie Jean King and Margaret Court.

Maybe he does give Justine too much credit because he's in love with the form of her 1HBH. But she could hit all the shots. And for her size, to compete with the big women of this day, is impressive.

dh003i
06-07-2008, 08:09 AM
I'd say Martina Natrilova is the most talented ever. Look, really, I think if you have to say "what does talent mean", you're talking first and foremost about touch. The great S&V'ers are the most talented players of all time. That's why McEnroe is in that category.

Mick
06-07-2008, 08:27 AM
probably because when chris evert, martina navratilova, and steffi graf were playing, john mcenroe was playing full time too and he did not have the time to watch them play. Now he got time to watch women's tennis and Justine Henin was the best player that he had seen. :)

ACE of Hearts
06-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Henin was special to watch.I am so shocked that she quit.She still could play and her all court game will be missed.I cant root for the Williams sisters.My favorite player who i think could be special is Ana Ivanovic but she needs to improve on the serve.

Bjorn99
06-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Serena, Lindsay D and Henin are the most impressive talents I have ever seen. If Davenport had gotten into shape much earlier, so that she could have done it more gradually, she might have won everything. Her ball contact was sick.

Serena when she wasn't injured was pretty sick. Her and Henin are their best would have been the best.

Navra would get destroyed nowadays, even if she was young. Her groundies were all centered on getting into the net. And she wouldn't be able to cover the stuff people at the top are hitting now.

TheTruth
06-07-2008, 08:32 AM
It's all about what's current with John. Simple as that!

hoodjem
06-07-2008, 10:06 AM
He does seem to have a very short memory.

In no way was I implying that Henin was not good, just that Mac seems to be full, lately, of these pronouncements.

Eviscerator
06-07-2008, 10:52 AM
People (including jerks like Mac) tend to think modern players are the best regardless of the sport. It is to easy to say so & so is the best ever because that is the current culture. Not only is deference not given to the great players of the past, in many instances, the younger generation has never heard of or seen clips of the past greats.

Henin was a great player for the years she participated. However to say she was the best he has ever seen is typical of the aforementioned behavior.

Murray_Maniac
06-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Dont take Mcenroe too seriously. He just wants to hype up the modern generation.

Atherton2003
06-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Dont take Mcenroe too seriously. He just wants to hype up the modern generation.

I think Henin was one of the best cause she overcame her height limitations and small frame to beat some of the larger women on the tour...she also had great concentration and instincts and knew exactly where the ball would be before it even got there.

Henin was a great player....but there were also many other great players of yesteryear.....Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King to name a few. It's hard to compare today's players with the players from years ago who used wood rackets and relied on speed and finesse to play the game.

SteveI
06-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I agree....

Ditto... All court player.. can hit any shot in the book with flare. Winner and beat players much bigger and stronger. She is the Fed the "Ladies" side. Ladies tennis will not see the anyone with that sort of game for a long time. A great loss for all tennis fans.

Morrissey
06-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Mac just can't help himself from offering up these meta-superlatives. They just flow from him like water.

I agree with that, you never know when he really means it. Maybe he does mean it, but you donīt know when to take it seriously.

superstition
06-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Baselining is a valid style. Not everyone must play at the net. She was a lot more than a robot and still holds the record for consecutive wins on clay. Like Henin, Evert didn't have much of a serve. But, you don't have to have a great serve if your groundstrokes are superior.
Martina - lame BH
Martina's backhand was just fine during much of her career. She was a complete player.
Graf's knifing slice backhand was quite effective for setting up her forehand.
Robot? As opposed to what? A dancing fairy sprinkling angel dust and pirouetting?

Henin's serve isn't so great. Other than that, she's one of the game's greats. McEnroe's hyperbole, though, is just that.

nickb
06-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Robot? As opposed to what? A dancing fairy sprinkling angel dust and pirouetting?

LOL

10 chars

pmerk34
06-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Well, let's go down the list:

Martina - lame BH
Williams Sisters - bashers who STILL don't know how to construct points; underachieving net games.

If you were going to throw names out to make him look dumb, you should have offered up Billie Jean King and Margaret Court.

Maybe he does give Justine too much credit because he's in love with the form of her 1HBH. But she could hit all the shots. And for her size, to compete with the big women of this day, is impressive.

Clips of Billie Jean King and Margaret court look like another sport. Junior girls hit 3 times as hard as they ever did and I'm not sure if either King or Court ever employed even moderate topspin compared to what is employed now. Seve and volley is dead because polyester strings killed it.

NikeWilson
06-07-2008, 01:42 PM
she's probably the worst sportsman/woman i've ever seen.

HollerOne5
06-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Please....everyone knows the 3 years Monica Seles dominated the sport is the greatest display of talent anyone has ever exhibited as a woman's tennis player. Just because she couldn't hit a volley, it wasn't part of her game. She rarely lost sets or games to anyone, let alone matches. Justine was a mental flake and a poor sportswoman....

35ft6
06-07-2008, 04:05 PM

Mac just can't help himself from offering up these meta-superlatives. They just flow from him like water.So what's your problem with this? You don't agree? I actually don't have a problem with people changing their position as new information reveals itself, to me that's the sign of a rational, objective person, and not necessarily the characteristic of somebody that needs to be distrusted.

hoodjem
06-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I actually don't have a problem with people changing your position . . . Other people should not be changing my position.

Did Mac have a prior position on the best women's player he's ever seen?

And it's not that Mac might be changing his opinion, it's more that he's spewing out these hyperbolic pronouncements left and right.

You should know, Ernest. See here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=201454&highlight=Nadal

superstition
06-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Clips of Billie Jean King and Margaret court look like another sport. Junior girls hit 3 times as hard as they ever did and I'm not sure if either King or Court ever employed even moderate topspin compared to what is employed now. Seve and volley is dead because polyester strings killed it.
There is more to tennis than hitting hard and more to tennis than topspin. Put those junior girls on grass courts with wood racquets against serve and volleyers and we'll see how useful their power and topspin are.

CyBorg
06-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Other people should not be changing my position.

Did Mac have a prior position on the best women's player he's ever seen?

And it's not that Mac might be changing his opinion, it's more that he's spewing out these hyperbolic pronouncements left and right.

You should know, Ernest. See here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=201454&highlight=Nadal

He needs to defend his paper-thin argument somehow.

flyer
06-07-2008, 10:18 PM
i think henin gets the benefit of the doubt in terms of talent because she is so little, shes kind of the "pound for pound king," well Im not buying it, tennis is not a sport with weight classes, and Henin is definitely not the most talented women ever...Graf, Seles, Serena, Navratilova; all are easily much more talented than Henin

35ft6
06-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Other people should not be changing my position.My bad, I meant "their." I've been typo man lately.