PDA

View Full Version : Problem with dunlop grip shape?!

tennis_guy
06-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but theres something about the dunlop grip that isnt working for me. I've read its slightly more rectangular than wilson (which ive never had any problems with). Anyway i've had painful blisters on my fingers since using a dunlop again (had to tape them in the mean time), and I swear the grip keeps twisting on me, I can't get a comfortable hold. I was using an overgrip when I got the blisters. I've read people dont like head grips, anyone the same with dunlop?

nickb
06-07-2008, 12:52 PM
I have used Wilson nearly all my life (fischer for the last year) and I find dunlop very similar to wilson...I actually like it better. Could be you just need to get used to the new shape...I had big problems with fischer when I swtiched but just got used to it...I am switching rackets soon and will be having a dunlop grip shape on them (vantage).

Nick

LanEvo
06-07-2008, 01:05 PM
i think dunlops have great grip shapes, head grip shapes are to rectangular, only ones i dont like

robkat
06-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I love the Dunlop grip shape. That is what I have on my Vanatge frames. IMO, Dunlop and Wilson grip shapes are worlds apart.

MaOira
06-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I love the Dunlop shape.. just demoed a kblade and i cant get used the wilson shape anymore.. feels to round for me. then again the grip was worn down on the demo

mdjenders
06-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I am VERY sensitive to grip shape such that the only one that feels right to me is the classic Prince "square". My advice to the OP is to play with your new grip shape for at least a month, trying out different overgrips or even leather. Sometimes a change in thickness or bevel feel can make all the difference.

robkat
06-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I am VERY sensitive to grip shape such that the only one that feels right to me is the classic Prince "square". My advice to the OP is to play with your new grip shape for at least a month, trying out different overgrips or even leather. Sometimes a change in thickness or bevel feel can make all the difference.

I think the above is pretty good advice. If you do not like leather try a replacement grip that you like and are familiar with.

Yin
06-08-2008, 01:33 AM
The dunlop grip shape feels the best, its symmetrical and every edge is the same. instead, head grips are more rectangular, they are longer on a side which makes it flatter. I got blisters from playing with a head racket. it was twisting in my hand if i was hitting big.

best thing to do is check if the grip size fits you, try some soft overgrip or even two around it. so you get more cushioning for the places that lacks contact with your hand.