PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon: Roof vs No Roof...

cueboyzn
06-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Last year with no roof on the place looked alien to most Tennis fans and players alike. But this year the roof will be back on. Last year it was very evident the wind came into play quite a bit because of the stadium being open and more exposed.. Federer last year seemed to have trouble dealing with this. He even said this in his pressconfs. Should we expect Wimbledon this year to be back to business as usual for Federer with the main court arenas shielded from the wind again?

ledor
06-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Federer will be back in business no matter what. He's the Wimby king for now.

daddy
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Roof is a necessity when the tourney of such prestigue and tradition is played in UK. Its hard not to expect rain there when its raining for more that 200 days per year regularly.

cueboyzn
06-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I wasnt talking about the sliding roof which will be there in 2009. I mean the circular part which covers most of the seating on top of the stadium. The part which they took off before last years tournament. It keeps the wind out as well.

Eviscerator
06-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Roof is a necessity when the tourney of such prestigue and tradition is played in UK. Its hard not to expect rain there when its raining for more that 200 days per year regularly.

:rolleyes:

They have managed without a roof throughout the history of the game. So while it might be better for fans and TV coverage, it certainly is not a necessity.

daddy
06-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I wasnt talking about the sliding roof which will be there in 2009. I mean the circular part which covers most of the seating on top of the stadium. The part which they took off before last years tournament. It keeps the wind out as well.

I am for anything which would make players less bothered and play better. Sorry for not understanding you from the word go.

zagor
06-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm all for the roof,no rain and match interruptions then.All the better for me as a tennis fan.

NikeWilson
06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
if any grand slam tournament needs a roof, it's definitely Wimbledon!

leonidas1982
06-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Last year with no roof on the place looked alien to most Tennis fans and players alike. But this year the roof will be back on. Last year it was very evident the wind came into play quite a bit because of the stadium being open and more exposed.. Federer last year seemed to have trouble dealing with this. He even said this in his pressconfs. Should we expect Wimbledon this year to be back to business as usual for Federer with the main court arenas shielded from the wind again?

There will be a temporary roof.

Fedace
06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Is Roof in this year or do we have to wait til next year>

leonidas1982
06-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Is Roof in this year or do we have to wait til next year>

A temporary one, not the retractable.