PDA

View Full Version : Kblade Tour or Ksix-one Tour

Necroblood
06-07-2008, 03:41 PM
For the last month or so I've considered moving up to a tour level racquet and I've found two that I really like. They are the Ksix one tour and the kblade tour. However, I don't know how to choose between the two. I've demoed the Kblade but I wasn't able to give the ksix one tour a test drive. Anyone know the differences in the play styles between the two? I'm an all court 4.5 player who can use either the double handed backhand or the one handed backhand. When I demoed the blade I found the sweetspot forgiving despite its size can anyone tell me which racquet is more forgiving?

bladepdb
06-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I think insofar as the racquets' sweetspot being "forgiving" is considered, they're both roughly the same. The big difference is the swingweight and the string pattern. The K6.1 has a slightly higher swingweight, but it is still a maneuverable racquet. It's also slightly stiffer due to being almost .7 ounces heavier.

The KBlade offers tremendous control due to the 18 x 20 string pattern. The K6.1 is also very controllable, but the more open 16 x 19 pattern allows more spin.

I think at your level, the string pattern and the added mass are probably the biggest factors. THe swingweight is not substantially heavier on the K6.1 than the KBlade, so you should be able to handle it relatively easily.

And I am talkign about both Tour racquets. I just kept shorthanded :)

Good luck deciding!

Necroblood
06-07-2008, 04:04 PM
yea I was thinking about the mass between the two but what I found was that maybe 12.5 ounces was a bit too much? How are your feelings on the ksix-one during long drawn out matches? Is it more demanding on the arm?

bladepdb
06-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Yeah the 12.5 strung is fairly heavy on the arm. I'm actually only a 3.5 player and I found the K6.1 great to hit with so maybe I have a good grasp of the technique. If you think you have a developed technique (which you probably do if you're 4.5), the K6.1 won't be that demanding. I have found after 2 hours you start to feel it on your shoulder. You might be more fit then I am or have a better endurance, so you never know.

If you want to play it safe, go with the K Blade. If you want to strongly look into K6.1, definitely demo it. I think it is a great racquet to demo and I am very lucky to have demo'ed it becuase it is a beautiful racquet to hit with (I was originally not going to demo it at all because of the 5.0+ player's suggestion).

Necroblood
06-07-2008, 05:09 PM
So basically it comes down to whether I trade weight for power? The six one has more power right? And the kblade more swing speed because of its light weight?

Necroblood
06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh and (sorry for the double post) Which do you think serves better?

DonBot
06-07-2008, 06:10 PM
I have never seen a K6.1 tour weigh 12.5, mine are all stock 12.7 364 grams or so. My kblades are all 12.1 ish just beware the K90 is heavier than you think it might be.

fortunecookiesjc
06-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Depends if you can handle the weight of a k90. K90 has such great serve. Its so good for control. But the thing is can you handle the weight? Its noticeably heavier than the kblade imo. Kblade felt like i was using my I.prestige mids

BullDogTennis
06-07-2008, 06:36 PM
i love my kblade, its maneuvarable, its heavy enough to give good control and feeling, but light enough that you wont have to switch rackets in the middle of a match because your whole arm is cramping.

bladepdb
06-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh and (sorry for the double post) Which do you think serves better?

The K6.1 serves slightly better than the K Blade, especially for hitting some top spin. I cannot yet do a kick serve but I feel that if it helps with a top spin serve for a 3.5 player, it can definitely help a 4.5 throw some good serves in there. The speed with the serves on the K6.1 is nice too. That's not to say the K Blade was bad at all. In fact, it helped my serves as well. I just found the K6.1 to help my serves a tad better.

2nd_Serve
06-07-2008, 11:55 PM
The Ksix-one Tour is actually better in every category IMO. And you know, don't let the weight bother you. I stayed away from it because I thought I wouldn't be strong enough to use it. That was the dumbest thing I've ever done. After you play with it for about two days, the weight is unnoticeable, and every other racket feels like a feather.

chirpy
06-08-2008, 02:03 AM
also keep in mind that the k6.1 is heavier and might make ur arm tired after a really long session or match.

Necroblood
06-08-2008, 07:46 AM
well all things besides the weight then... Which is better suited for one handed backhands? Because that's what I mostly use.

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-08-2008, 08:09 AM
i prefer the k90 over the kblade. the feel of the k90 is more solid in my opinion and because i just love the spin of the k90 i cant stray away from it. the kblade is still a great racket but it didnt fit the aspects i wanted. both are great for one hand backhand. you can get alot more racket head speed with kblade because the racket cuts through air really well. the k90 is also really great as well.just depends which one you feel is better. i can get a more of a drive and spin with the k90. the kblade i can place it better flatter as well.

k90

pros:
spin
good power
control
stability
serves very well for all types of serves kick, slice and flat
plow through
volleys
touch
slice

cons:
weight
head size
isnt as maneuverable as the kblade

kblade

pros:
control
swings very smooth
stability
serves well but not as good for kick and slice
touch
volleys
maneuverable

cons:
spin
the plow through doesnt compare to the k90

Necroblood
06-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Guys I'm out on a limb here. I have a tournament in a week and a couple of days and I'm going to need my new racquet before then. I tried again to demo the k90 but unfortunately the two stores I called had the racquet booked for at least a couple of days. I'm going to have to go with a choice soon if I want the racquet to arrive quickly so I;n going to go with my kblade tour which i demoed already. If I put polyester and synthetic gut I should be able to get good enough of spin to it. So guys thanks for all your help.

Necroblood
06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Darn it seems like I ordered it at the wrong time the kblade is out of stock for a month. X_X so I'm going to have to buy the ksix one.

mdjenders
06-10-2008, 03:29 PM
you are probably better off with the six one 90. IMO, for a 12+ oz racquet, the blade tour felt a little "flimsy". the tour 90 is solid as a rock. if you find yourself swinging too hard to get depth or pace, this might give you some arm pain; best to keep a smooth swing and string a bit looser.

fortunecookiesjc
06-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I really do agree with the six one 90. Ive build so much friggen muscle on my forearm hitting with this thing all the time. My mental and focus game has improved so much becuase I try to focus longer on the ball more than i used to like the thing everyone talks about how federer does his strokes. It can be heavy but dont get ****ed and switch!

Necroblood
06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
I understand what some of you mean by a more solid feeling the k90 but for me that stick is a bit slow on some shots especially for the backhand. I finally managed to demo it yesterday and I found that while the serve and net play was awesome the groundstrokes went deep and since I have this long fast loopy stroke some of my shots even went out. However the backhand slice with the racquet is unbelievable, but how does Federer manage to do the topspin backhand with that racquet. I found it super difficult to manage.

And my physique is actually what most people would call buff. I workout a lot everyday so I managed to handle the stick well but first it felt like the whole thing was too heavy. The small head gave it awesome precision. My only complaint would be the groundstrokes but the rest seem good.

fortunecookiesjc
06-10-2008, 05:46 PM
keep going at it and you'll get used to it. Same thing happened to me

Djokovicfan4life
06-10-2008, 05:56 PM
If you're looking for a forgiving sweet spot then the K90 is not for you. It feels like total mush to me unless I strike the ball absolutely perfectly. I would go with the K Blade since you've already tried that and liked it.

Necroblood
06-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Well either way isn't there just a 3 sq in difference between the two? So the sweet spots should be more or less identical.

mraznman
06-10-2008, 08:10 PM
For the last month or so I've considered moving up to a tour level racquet and I've found two that I really like. They are the Ksix one tour and the kblade tour. However, I don't know how to choose between the two. I've demoed the Kblade but I wasn't able to give the ksix one tour a test drive. Anyone know the differences in the play styles between the two? I'm an all court 4.5 player who can use either the double handed backhand or the one handed backhand. When I demoed the blade I found the sweetspot forgiving despite its size can anyone tell me which racquet is more forgiving?

I think you should decide on your playing style. If you go for either Serve or Volley or All Around, then I suggest the KSix One Tour. If you go for Baseliner, then you should get the KBlade Tour. But know that if you go with the Blade, you have to orient your swings to create the spin. But these are IMO because I tried both. I use the Blade btw.

Necroblood
06-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Hmm I tried the k six one again today... Is it me or is it hard using a western grip with this racquet?

BullDogTennis
06-12-2008, 03:01 PM
well i mean, its something your just gonna have to get used to, because its a really small hit, and when you hit a western forehand, its easy to miss the sweetspot, especially if your not used to the racquet.

Harry24
06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah the 12.5 strung is fairly heavy on the arm. I'm actually only a 3.5 player and I found the K6.1 great to hit with so maybe I have a good grasp of the technique. If you think you have a developed technique (which you probably do if you're 4.5), the K6.1 won't be that demanding. I have found after 2 hours you start to feel it on your shoulder. You might be more fit then I am or have a better endurance, so you never know.

If you want to play it safe, go with the K Blade. If you want to strongly look into K6.1, definitely demo it. I think it is a great racquet to demo and I am very lucky to have demo'ed it becuase it is a beautiful racquet to hit with (I was originally not going to demo it at all because of the 5.0+ player's suggestion).

I know this is an old thread but I have to say NEVER EVER choose a racquet by the NTRP suggestion its a bunch a bull you know what lol. I am a 3.0 maybe 3.5 player and currently I am demoing everything and I mean everything. So far, guess what my favorite racquet is...........KSix One Tour 90!!!:lol:

nn
06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I know this is an old thread but I have to say NEVER EVER choose a racquet by the NTRP suggestion its a bunch a bull you know what lol. I am a 3.0 maybe 3.5 player and currently I am demoing everything and I mean everything. So far, guess what my favorite racquet is...........KSix One Tour 90!!!:lol:

yeah it is true and only thing you need is little strength and willingness to improve.

joeellis
06-24-2008, 05:08 AM
Well either way isn't there just a 3 sq in difference between the two? So the sweet spots should be more or less identical.

I own 3 of each and go back and forth between them, just because I like to do so. I agree with most everything posted here with the exception of a few points. The quote above is somewhat correct, but I feel the K Blade is more forgiving than the 3 sq. inch difference would indicate. Although I haven't measured the heads, it appears the K 6.1 90 is longer and more oval, creating a more narrow head from side to side. Maybe that is just my perception, but if it is more narrow, this may explain why the K Blade feels more forgiving.

I agree with the statements that the K 6.1 90 is more solid. I haven't tried anything that feels more solid, regardless of the type of shot. Even though the weight is greater, it is reasonably maneuverable. Vollying with this racquet is a treat. The mass allows for deep volleys without much effort. To me, the K Blade is very close in this regard. The main difference is when you mishit a volley. The K 6.1 90 just holds its ground and you get a better result.

I also agree that the K 6.1 90 allows you to put more spin on the ball, at least for me. I can put more topspin on the ball with less effort. The control of the K Blade is exceptional, however. While hitting short extreme angled shots, you really need to whip the K Blade through the ball whereas with the K 6.1 90, the spin makes it a little easier.

One point I slightly disagree with is the accuracy with each on serves. While the K 6.1 90 is exceptional in this department, I can place serves almost on the spot with the K Blade. I do not have a great kick serve. Most of my serves are flat and aimed at the corners or body or slice serves are aimed at the corners or short and very wide. My topspin serve is somewhat effective because I can place it fairly well, but it doesn't kick extremely high. I don't see a big difference in pace. I get very good pace with both. I feel the one area that the K 6.1 90 is more forgiving is in the upper hoop. It feels less harsh.

With the my one handed backhand, I feel I get a better slice with the K 6.1 90 and a better topspin with the K Blade. I don't really have an explanation for this, but I have always been able to hit a better backhand slice with an oval head. This is probably a quirk of mine, but real or imagined, it works that way for me.

Finally, the K 6.1 90 can be a little hard to manage if you don't use good foot work and anticipation, especially when playing an opponent that can consistently hit deep shots. I have actually shortened my strokes, but I still get good depth and pace if I hit both these racquets solidly.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I hope this helps. They are both exceptional racquets imo.

Harry24
06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I own 3 of each and go back and forth between them, just because I like to do so. I agree with most everything posted here with the exception of a few points. The quote above is somewhat correct, but I feel the K Blade is more forgiving than the 3 sq. inch difference would indicate. Although I haven't measured the heads, it appears the K 6.1 90 is longer and more oval, creating a more narrow head from side to side. Maybe that is just my perception, but if it is more narrow, this may explain why the K Blade feels more forgiving.

I agree with the statements that the K 6.1 90 is more solid. I haven't tried anything that feels more solid, regardless of the type of shot. Even though the weight is greater, it is reasonably maneuverable. Vollying with this racquet is a treat. The mass allows for deep volleys without much effort. To me, the K Blade is very close in this regard. The main difference is when you mishit a volley. The K 6.1 90 just holds its ground and you get a better result.

I also agree that the K 6.1 90 allows you to put more spin on the ball, at least for me. I can put more topspin on the ball with less effort. The control of the K Blade is exceptional, however. While hitting short extreme angled shots, you really need to whip the K Blade through the ball whereas with the K 6.1 90, the spin makes it a little easier.

One point I slightly disagree with is the accuracy with each on serves. While the K 6.1 90 is exceptional in this department, I can place serves almost on the spot with the K Blade. I do not have a great kick serve. Most of my serves are flat and aimed at the corners or body or slice serves are aimed at the corners or short and very wide. My topspin serve is somewhat effective because I can place it fairly well, but it doesn't kick extremely high. I don't see a big difference in pace. I get very good pace with both. I feel the one area that the K 6.1 90 is more forgiving is in the upper hoop. It feels less harsh.

With the my one handed backhand, I feel I get a better slice with the K 6.1 90 and a better topspin with the K Blade. I don't really have an explanation for this, but I have always been able to hit a better backhand slice with an oval head. This is probably a quirk of mine, but real or imagined, it works that way for me.

Finally, the K 6.1 90 can be a little hard to manage if you don't use good foot work and anticipation, especially when playing an opponent that can consistently hit deep shots. I have actually shortened my strokes, but I still get good depth and pace if I hit both these racquets solidly.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I hope this helps. They are both exceptional racquets imo.

And that is why I didnt like the KBlade. TOOOO Much control haha its possible. The ksix one 90 had the open string pattern that I like in a racquet and just an overall better racquet.