PDA

View Full Version : Need some racquet Demo Advice

Indyxc
06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey everyone, Great forum, lots of good info!

Anyway, I recently got back into tennis at 24, after playing in HS.

My game style is heavy top spin on the forehand, and plenty of my own input power. One handed back hand. Flat, but fast 1st serve. I'm about 4.0 player, semi western grip.

I used to play with a Wilson Pro Staff 5.7 EB 110. After doing a some research I ended up with a Prince Speedport Red, because it was suppose to be a good spin racquet.

I like the racquet, but it has seemed to change my game a lot. I used to hit with a lot of topspin, and with racquet it seems like I have to hit a lot more flat or the ball will either sail long, or spin with no power. My flat hits have developed quite a bit though.

Also, with this racquet it feels like my back hand lost it's power, and is really just used for defense now. I did find it serves well, and I do like the control and volley skills. One thing I don't like is it seems a bit flexy. Likewise it is light, so when I am caught in the middle of a swing and made contact with the ball, it just pushes the racquet around. And the strings move all over the dam place!

So, I'm looking for a spin friendly racquet on top spin, with probably medium power, mid size, that is relatively stiff, medium to higher weight, and allows for good backhand power.

Luckily there is an excellent tennis store near me that demos all racquets. I picked up a Babolat Pure Drive Cortex 107, as it seemed to fit the bill.

Anyone have any other suggestions on what to demo based on my criteria? Thanks!

Buffon#1
06-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Wow as I read your post, I couldn't believe how similar our backgrounds are. I stopped playing in HS and just started picking up the game last year at 23 yrs old. I use semiwestern forehand and 1h backhand. And I used prince speedport red last year!

Anyhow, if you have head microgel prestige pro available for demo near you, give it a shot! Its an awesome racquet.

Indyxc
06-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Haha yeah, that is pretty similiar.

How did you like the Prince Speedport red? Did the strings move all over the place? I can't really practice ground strokes with it when I play, because after 6-7 hits some strings are almost touching! I had it strung with Prince Syn Gut 16g at 58, and most of time was spent straightening strings instead of playing tennis. I just got it restrung with Prince Lighting XX 16g, so we'll see if it's better.

fortunecookiesjc
06-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Id do some research around here for racquets for topspin. My all out favorite racquet for spin is my APD w/o Cortex

Trevor
06-07-2008, 06:25 PM
You may want to consider changing strings if they move all over the place.

Buffon#1
06-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Yea it did move around quite a bit. I used prince syn gut w/ duraflex and I had to string them at 62 lbs. Maybe poly won't move as much in the speedport red. I bought a couple sets of prolineII and that thing don't move at all. But the red was a nice comfortable racquet that's for sure.

I really think you should try MG prestige pro. Its a nice spinny racquet that gives me the confidence to swing away. And my backhand never been better

fortunecookiesjc
06-07-2008, 07:27 PM
imo mg prestige mid had more spin. As soon as my friends dad picked it up hes like omg spin much

Buffon#1
06-08-2008, 06:53 AM
yea the mg prestige mid is the one I've been wanting to try.. but no, i should control myself.. I have to put an end to this demoing addiction :)

Indyxc
06-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, I tried the Babolat Pure Drive Cortex 107 today, and man I thought the racquet was amazing.

One thing I realized is back when I used to play, I used a full western grip, and when the switched to the prince speedport red, I transition to a semi-western grip naturally, because with the full western grip i would shank the ball at the back of the fence. I just couldn't spin the ball, as the racquet didn't have enough weight it seems. I realized my grip used to be full western when I tried the original racquet (wilson) and felt the grip worn in for full western. It had been so long I forgot!

Anyway, with the Pure drive my forehand with lots of spin returned, and I got all my power back! Likewise it has a lot better pop on the backhand, and hits flat shots with a lot more power. The shots were a lot more consisntant. I was able to cross court a lot more shot.When I tried my speedport with new strings, it again was shanking half the balls at the back of fence. The shots were not very consistent. It feels too light and like shows just move the racquet all over the place.

The only disadvantage of the Pure Drive is the weight makes a bit slower at net for volleys.

My partner even commented my game was a lot more consistent, varied, and lot more power. Usually when we play ground stroke games, I lose 2-3 to 5-6 games. Today it was 4-4 or so, and I barely lost the 4 that I did.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the racquet. I like the size, the spin, the swing weight, pop, and consistency. However, I am hesitant to buy it without trying more. I think the Babolat Aero Drive might be something else to demo, but if I played well with this racquet, should I pick it up?

Indyxc
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Another thing I noticed is the strings moved on the Pure Drive, but a lot less! I think with the open ports on the prince there a large tendency for the strings to move a lot more Yeah the strings moved on the pure drive, but I could volley, and once in a while fix the strings. Not half the ordeal it normally is.