PDA

View Full Version : the myth: S&V can beat Nadal on clay

tennis_hand
06-08-2008, 08:57 AM
the proponents of net rushers say, S&V can take away time from Nadal and it's impossible Nadal can hit passing shots every time.

I think it is time to say: it is impossible that the net rusher can hit a good volley every time. and if the volley is not good, then Nadal can pass you.

Fed's net game was below his standard today. but we also see how Nadal can hit those passing shots.

samster
06-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Not just against Nadal, pure S+V has little chance on clay against majority of ATP players.

coloskier
06-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Not just against Nadal, pure S+V has little chance on clay against majority of ATP players.

Tell that to Stepanek, who has beaten all but the top clay courters on clay using serve and volley.

Legend of Borg
06-08-2008, 09:22 AM
How can serve and volleyers thrive when the surfaces are being slowed down? Even grass, the fastest surface, has been ovetaken by the U.S. Open. What a sham.

samster
06-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Tell that to Stepanek, who has beaten all but the top clay courters on clay using serve and volley.

Oh, okay. Tell me how many clay court tournaments did Stepanek win so far in his career?

(The Answer: Zero).

cujays
06-08-2008, 09:27 AM
he stands so far behind the baseline that he has more time

downthewall
06-08-2008, 09:28 AM
lol. you guys are just mad that nadal ownz everyone

CyBorg
06-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Yes and Stepanek isn't a huge talent.

The serve and volley isn't being taught in tennis academies anymore which is why it is dying out.

Sweden, for example, produced one successful server and volleyer in Stefan Edberg, which happened as a fluke. Edberg was trained as a baseliner, but decided to change his style.

It might happen again, but it would have to be likewise a fluke.

The serve and volley works, especially if you have a big serve. A big serve leaves the returner vulnerable, while a well-placed volley ensures against a big passing shot, because it limits the player's time for a windup, necessitating a quick flick shot or a volley.

We had an Ivanisevic/Rafter final not that long ago. Both of these guys were experts at this.

Morrissey
06-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Coming to net on clay wins you nothing but an early handshake.

alienhamster
06-08-2008, 09:34 AM
It doesn't have to be serve and volley. I actually think it's the *correct* play to be looking to move forward after you've struck the first rally shot against Nadal. You're going to get passed a bunch, sure, but at this point I'd wager your winning percentage at net has got to be higher than from the back of the court. A short angled volley is far more effective against Nadal than a well-struck "winner" from the baseline.

carlos djackal
06-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Nadal Can Retrieve The Ball From Anywhere In The Court And Can Pass Anyone With Precision(at Least On Clay) As We'd Seen Today, So It's Not The Solution To The Nadal Riddle..........the Problem Of How To Beat A Healthy Nadal On Clay Is Still Unsolved.....and Probably Will Remain For 3 More Yrs ....

helloworld
06-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I'll say it right here. Nadal is vulnerable to sharp crosscourt angle shots. If any player can hit the crosscourt shots with sharp angles consistently, they'll have a good chance against Nadal. Much like the way Nalbandian bageled Nadal last year in Paris Masters I think.

Dilettante
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Much like the way Nalbandian bageled Nadal last year in Paris Masters I think.

That was no clay.

helloworld
06-08-2008, 09:58 AM
That was no clay.

It was not clay, but it is still a good strategy to utilize against Nadal. Much like the way Davydenko did against Nadal last year.

dh003i
06-08-2008, 10:01 AM
S&V-ing every point, no. But you have to come in. Federer was most successful today when he came in to the net, even there he had to play perfectly.

Dilettante
06-08-2008, 10:04 AM
It was not clay, but it is still a good strategy to utilize against Nadal. Much like the way Davydenko did against Nadal last year.

At the moment, on clay, there's not any good strategy against Nadal.

On other surfaces there are plenty. But on a claycourt... just forget it.

AAAA
06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
the proponents of net rushers say, S&V can take away time from Nadal and it's impossible Nadal can hit passing shots every time.

I think it is time to say: it is impossible that the net rusher can hit a good volley every time. and if the volley is not good, then Nadal can pass you.

Fed's net game was below his standard today. but we also see how Nadal can hit those passing shots.

Fed's performance today wasn't a good example of s&v net rushing tactics. Many of his volleys sat up which would give any half-decent player an easy pass.