PDA

View Full Version : Help an aging man: Pure Storm vs MicroGel Extreme vs DNX 9

rickybobby
06-08-2008, 08:30 AM
High school all-conference doubles and played No. 1 singles. That was 20 years ago!

seeking lighter racquet. Was using Prince Precision Response Titanium (700 power level). Great until recent birthdays--finding it too heavy, sluggish, and cumbersome now.

I'm a product of the 80s: semi-western/western forehand, THBH, slice backhand approach, top-spin serve, sneak into net occasionally, except in doubles where it is get to net or die.

Consideration list so far:
Babolat Pure Storm
Head MicroGel Extreme
Volkl DNX
Babolat Aero Storm (but not available on TW website)

Any suggestions, comments, advice very, very, much appreciated!
Thanks!

2nd_Serve
06-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Well, since you are looking for a lighter racket, look for the -heaviest- that you could stand out of the -light- rackets. All those rackets stated above are high quality and are really good for I would say any player. Again, use the heaviest racket you could.

rickybobby
06-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks, SS. have you tried any of the listed racquets? Curious to hear how heavy they felt for you.

Unfortunately, I live in a place where no demo programs exist. So, any pre-hitting research or comments appreciated.

Thanks again!

samster
06-08-2008, 03:24 PM
RB,

I have used the Pure Storm and DNX 9 and I prefer the Pure Storm over the DNX 9. Have you ever used a Volkl frame? The reason I ask is because the grip shape is different from Prince, for example.

rickybobby
06-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks, Samster. I have used only Wilson, Donnay, and Prince racquets and grips. How different are Volkl grips to those? Any particular reason for your Aero Storm pick over the DNX 9?

Thanks again.

reesespiecestennis
06-10-2008, 05:44 PM
haha rickbobby nice. If you ain't first you're last.

I thought the microgel extreme was really nice when I demoed it you should try that.

netman
06-10-2008, 05:47 PM
First, the TW demo program is a great offering. Take advantage of it. Get 4 frames and give them a spin. Then get 4 more. You'll know when you are holding the right racquet. Besides, demoing is almost as much fun as playing.

I would strongly recommend you add Yonex frames to your list. The RDS003 fits into the profile of the frames you listed. But given your youth, I'd recommend giving the RDS001 MP a try as well. The Yonex head plays larger than its stated size and they are both frames more suited for folks who have existing high level skills. The quality of Yonex frames is second to none.

Even though your skills are rusty, they will come back with practice so don't make the mistake of going to far in the direction of tweeners. As they come back, you'll end up frustrated with the power and lack of control. Been there, done that.

-k-

jmverdugo
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM
All good rackets, Ill recommend the RDS001too, but if you want to go lighter maybe should try the kblade. I personally dont use it but i know some people that comes from a wilson player´s racket looking for a ligher racket and they all have loved the nblade. which is very similar to the kblade.

clarky
06-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey There,

I can shed some light on this, I have also returned after a long lay off, I decided on the Head Extreme Pro and very happy with it. Although I will say I have also hit with the pure storm tour and its an excellent racquet, I probably would have gone that over the Head, had I demoed it earlier.

I highly recommend the Pure storm tour, feels great in your hand, nice well balanced racquet.

haveheart
06-11-2008, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=netman;2415312]

I would strongly recommend you add Yonex frames to your list. The RDS003 fits into the profile of the frames you listed. But given your youth, I'd recommend giving the RDS001 MP a try as well. The Yonex head plays larger than its stated size and they are both frames more suited for folks who have existing high level skills. The quality of Yonex frames is second to none.

Netman ... since you bring it up. I've been looking at the specs of the RDS003. How does this stick play compared to RDS001 MP. Like RB I'm trying to find a lighter, bigger headsize stick. Currently using RDX 500 mid. Love the touch/feel but losing lots of points on the dirt because I'm a fraction of a second too slow when playing the young turks. Also do you have any experience with the '08 versions of 003 or 001MP? I realize both are far stiffer than RDX, but which feels more flexible? Thanks much for any info.

netman
06-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Netman ... since you bring it up. I've been looking at the specs of the RDS003. How does this stick play compared to RDS001 MP. Like RB I'm trying to find a lighter, bigger headsize stick. Currently using RDX 500 mid. Love the touch/feel but losing lots of points on the dirt because I'm a fraction of a second too slow when playing the young turks. Also do you have any experience with the '08 versions of 003 or 001MP? I realize both are far stiffer than RDX, but which feels more flexible? Thanks much for any info.

After extensive head to head testing, I came to the conclusion that the 003 is essentially the extended version of the 001 MP. It basically has a touch more power and therefore needs a touch more spin to keep the ball in play. It also needed some lead at 10 and 2 to stabilize the bigger hoop. The 001 MP is slightly more maneuverable due to the shorter length. I switched to it from the 003 because I worked my way back to my old powerful strokes and I needed the added control since I tend to hit flat. I now have a 001 Mid I bring out occasionally when I'm playing dinkers because I have plenty of time to get the ball back and it has even better control than the MP on flat shots.

I also used the RDX500 MP for a while and the only real difference between it and 001 was in how Yonex distributed the stiffness. I found the RDX to have a very flexible hoop which robbed power especially on anything hit in the upper half of the hoop. The 001 fixed this issue so well I don't even need to add lead to it. Also to consider, all the Yonex frames are very sensitive to the string setup, so you have to work to find the right strings for you. I use a hybrid of Topspin CyberPower mains and CyberFlash crosses.

-k-

haveheart
06-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Netman, thanks that's very helpful. Maybe I can pick your brain a bit more. Any thoughts on how RQiS 1 compares to 001MP?

rickybobby
06-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks, everyone. I am glad that others are getting something out of this too.

Thanks for the encouragement too! I do hope some semblance of my previous form will return.

Going to do TW demo on my next trip home.

Names added to the list:

Yonex RDS 001 and 003
Wilson Kblade
Wilson nPro Open (seems to make sense according to the specs)

Again, thanks to everyone for making my re-entry to the game easier.

netman
06-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Netman, thanks that's very helpful. Maybe I can pick your brain a bit more. Any thoughts on how RQiS 1 compares to 001MP?

Sorry. Have never hit with the RQis 1. All the feedback indicates its way too flexy when compared to RDS 001. Hewitt dropped it fast.

-k-

clarky
06-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Go the pure storm tour

rickybobby
07-19-2008, 01:36 AM
I know everyone has been staying awake wondering about my new racquet. I just bought a couple of Aero Storms (2008, aka the lighter one). Felt great on all shots, but improved my serves (spin and pop), volleys, and one-handed backhand. The best part: my arm did not feel dead after two hours of hitting. I suspect it is the weight and forgiveness (feels softer than indicated).

Thanks again for everyone's help.

hoodjem
07-19-2008, 08:09 AM
How's the stiffness?

Did you demo all those others since June?

rickybobby
07-19-2008, 06:57 PM
stiffness? good power and more forgiving on mis-hits (shanks etc.) than I expected. I think it is listed as fairly stiff but it did not play that way.

I demoed the MG Extreme, MG Prestige (reg. & tour), Wilson K6.1 Team, and Aero Storm. Could not locate the DNX9 and shop was out of RDS001s. Was going to try the Pure Storm, the shop guy recommended that I try the Aero Storm first (I told him I wanted a lighter racquet). He was right.

Extreme is erratic. could not control any shots. I would send it back to the lab. feels like a prototype. disappointing at best.

Prestige (tour) was probably my second choice. very sure on groundies etc, but I had trouble kicking or spinning my serves. Also, it was a bit heavy after a while. Same with the regular version. difficult to spin serves and still a bit too heavy. Yes, balance (head heavier) contributed to heavier feel. And yes, I knew they were going to be heavy, but my hitting partner had them so I figured I should try the heavier end of the range. I'm glad I did, as it was a much closer call than I had thought.

The Team is under-rated (by me at least). Ironically (given my top desire to find a lighter racquet), it was too light, but had great stability on groundies despite the lightness. Not as much oomph (technical term) on serves, volleys, etc. and not much spin either. That said, highly recommended for anyone looking for a light racquet, because it definitely plays above its weight.