PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Wegner's Breakdown of Fed's Breakdown

samster
06-08-2008, 10:24 AM
"Dear friend,

You may have seen the French Open final, which was a clearly disappointing performance by Roger Federer, and a superb one by Nadal.

I had an inkling that Roger was in big trouble right on the first game, after Roger made two mistakes on his forehand, when Mary Carillo said that one of the things Higueras said (Carillo said "allowed", perhaps of the veil of coaching secrecy) is that Higueras worked hard on the footwork of Roger going to his forehand side. What a terrible thing for Higueras to do. Here is one of the greatest forehand of all time and Higueras makes him put his attention on his feet. That most likely affected his feel, thereby his confidence, to a great extent. Well, the result speaks for himself. This is what happened to many great players, including the Williams sisters, who got influenced in thinking about their footwork, and only have sporadic good performances.

Great expectations crushed by a misconception. This was stunning, but you can see how false data kills even the greatest. Here is a former tip on that regard.

With my best regards and wishes,

Oscar Wegner
www.TennisTeacher.com and also Oscar's recommendation for performance, www.sabaforlife.com/oscarw

PS: to add a friend to our Free Weekly Newsletter send an e mail to tennisoscar@aol.com with their e mail.

# # #

Tip of the week

Footwork in tennis

BEWARE!

Thinking of your feet can wreck your game.

I recommend natural footwork, which is simply moving instinctively and without thinking. By not putting attention on your feet , you can put all of your attention on your hands, on striking the ball, while your feet will move naturally and effectively.

There are 3 main actions in tennis:

The move, the hit, and the recovery towards the center.

The most important element of natural footwork is what you learned when you were two or three years old. The head moves first, and the feet just follow.

When you are near the ball, and you start facing it and the net, on the forehand side, anchor yourself on the outside foot, opening your stance. Same for the two-handed backhand. You'll feel balanced and more powerful. One-handed backhands are different, and you should review my book and DVDs for details.

As you hit a forehand across your body, let your racquet and your head lead you to the left. Lean towards the center, and your body will go there.

Why are the pros so fast? Because they run naturally, without thinking of which foot is moving. They follow the ball with their head, they stop with the outside foot (which is another natural thing), and they hit while starting to recover towards the center.

Use these natural moves and you'll reach the ball easily, and you'll hit it comfortable and balanced, in perfect sync."

CyBorg
06-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Ehhh...

Roche also worked with Federer on his feet. These comments are vague nonsense and are apparently based entirely on an isolated Mary Carillo statement.

sureshs
06-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Anchoring with the outside foot before a shot, or stopping on the outside foot after a run and before hitting, are NOT natural movements. If they were, I would not have spent so much time consciously working on it.

samster
06-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Footwork or not for Fed, Nadal was just in the zone today and I don't think anyone had a chance to beat him.

35ft6
06-08-2008, 03:33 PM
On my forehand, being instinctual is better. On my topspin backhand, though, I hit it better when I consciously tell myself how to position my feet.

Fedace
06-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Wait a minute, is the SABA for life the stuff Nadal was squirting into his mouth before the match?

BeHappy
06-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I think, (and I represent most everyone in the coaching industry in this), that Oscar Wegner is a ******** publicity *****.

D. Nelson
06-08-2008, 04:54 PM
...I agree with Samster....I think that might hvae been THE B E S T match 'I' have ever seen Nadal play (strategy/serving/hustle/low error count !!)....EVER !!! Too bad it was against Fed...he didn't have MUCH more of a chance than anybody ELSE would have !!! I'd say that Fed spent fully 85% of the time 'stuck' in his backhand corner...and Nadal seemed content to PUT him there...on E V E R Y point....amazing !!! by the way...from what I saw of Nadal today, 'I' give him a H U G E chance at Wimby !!

samster
06-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Tennis Channel showed 2007 Hamburg match between Fed and Nadal this afternoon. Fed is definitely not moving quite as well as he did in the years past.

But as D. Nelson stated, Nadal played incredibly and methodically executed his plan of keeping Fed pinned at the backhand side. NBC showed the stat where EVERY Nadal 1st serve went to Fed's backhand side. Fed was also routinely hitting groundstrokes 6 feet behind the baseline.

orangettecoleman
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Oscar Wegner is a scientologist. this should show his capacity for reasoned analysis.

kabob
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Footwork or not for Fed, Nadal was just in the zone today and I don't think anyone had a chance to beat him.

Honestly, was what happened today anything else but this? I don't think so.

superman1
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
He may have a point. Federer is a natural talent, not a tactician. He's not supposed to think out there. I think Borg once said something like you're not supposed to think, you're just supposed to hit the ball. Federer just ended up confusing himself.

The strategy should have been "run around your backhand, use the backhand slice more often," not, "move your feet like this and this and pivot and left and right and left and right."

kabob
06-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Federer's not a tactician? Are you saying he just hits without thinking 2 or 3 steps ahead to construct the point? Haha, good joke.

2ndServe
06-08-2008, 11:10 PM
fed did look slow but I think Fed playing badly is more a function of Nadal making him play badly. I realize some mornings you wake up and are sluggish but in the juniors I used to think I played bad when I lost when looking it was rather a good player making me play worse.

NoBadMojo
06-09-2008, 05:26 AM
fed did look slow but I think Fed playing badly is more a function of Nadal making him play badly. I realize some mornings you wake up and are sluggish but in the juniors I used to think I played bad when I lost when looking it was rather a good player making me play worse.

there you go..good point. Fed is likely moving better than last year and playing a little better than last year, but Rafa's play has improved by a bigger margin. Nadal MADE federer look that way....fed didnt look that way in any of his other matches aye? Fed always is ready to perform, especially in the finals..he was just made to look bad because Nadal overwhelmed him

samster
06-09-2008, 05:46 AM
Oscar Wegner is a scientologist. this should show his capacity for reasoned analysis.

Good point. ;)

slice bh compliment
06-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Mary Carillo said that one of the things Higueras said (Carillo said "allowed", perhaps of the veil of coaching secrecy) ...

Great expectations crushed by a misconception.

This was stunning, but you can see how false data kills even the greatest....

Also the way he subtly words things to make others seem misinformed, petty and weak. Meanwhile he appears to take the high road.

Now I get why Oscar is so 'famous'.

L. Ron Hubbard, Tom Cruise et al ...... you've taught Oscar well.

urban
06-09-2008, 06:00 AM
The one shot, that Nadal really has improved, is his backhand cross. Its now way more than a defensive shot, he can people like Federer attack on his forehand, put them on the false foot, and set up his own forehand, to finish the point. It is something, i noticed on Muster in his big year 1995, when he learnt to drive his one handed cross backhand trough. That new weapon made him unbeatable on clay, and now Rafa is doing the same.

samster
06-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Also the way he subtly words things to make others seem misinformed, petty and weak. Meanwhile he appears to take the high road.

Now I get why Oscar is so 'famous'.

L. Ron Hubbard, Tom Cruise et al ...... you've taught Oscar well.

I get tip/advice email from Oscar. Somedays I just don't have any idea what he is talking about. He seems to be on a different planet.

NoBadMojo
06-09-2008, 06:07 AM
I think, (and I represent most everyone in the coaching industry in this), that Oscar Wegner is a ******** publicity *****.

I'm in the coaching industry, and I will on occassion use the Wegner method to get a particularly unathletic lesson groundstroking sooner than they would by using other teaching methods. Many other quality TP's do as well, because his method is actually very fundamentally sound altho he certainly didnt create it..I dont agree w. his footwork analysis however.,,,like most everything, people who know a lot about a subject will pick and choose and assimilate the good stuff and discard the whack.

fastdunn
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Not many people agree with following but the footwork was not one of the things Federer initially was endowed with. In his early days, Federer's footwork was one of his problems,IMHO. I think he became top 10 after he worked on his footwork. If you see clips of his early days like 1998-2002, I think you will see Federer did not bend his knee as much as now.

Federer is endowed with plethora of exquisite talents, i don't think footwork is one of them. It's something he worked hard on and aquired with years of efforts. Just look at Nadal or Monfils run, I just don't think federer as natural and smooth as them.

Also not many people will agree on following but one of the weaker shots Federer has is his running forehand. On the run, his backhand is better than his forehand, IMHO. That is one of the crucial problem in playing Nadal who can make Federer hit every single forehand on the run with lefty angle. add that to Nadal's nasty spin, Federer has been doomed to have lots of mis-hits from his forehand on the run...

NoBadMojo
06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Not many people agree with following but the footwork was not one of the things Federer initially was endowed with. In his early days, Federer's footwork was one of his problems. I think he became top 10 after he worked on his footwork. If you see clips of his early days like 1998-2002, I think you will see Federer did not bend his knee as much as now.

Also not many people will agree on following but one of the weaker shots Federer has is his running forehand. On the run, his backhand is better than his forehand. That is one of the crucial problem in playing Nadal who can make Federer hit every single forehand on the run with lefty angle. add that to Nadal's nasty spin, Federer has been doomed to have lots of mis-hits from his forehand on the run...

I agree with both of your points. When fed started to dominate, it was because his footwork got a lot better...he had the great strokes before that. his footwork went from forced to effortless and then he started to dominate..i think a lot of that came from him starting to win more, which breeds confidence and more winning and relaxed movement on court

As to his forehand, many people seem to get it wrong. They think because players hit to his backhand they are respecting his forehand and think the bh is his weaker side. I agree it is forehand (the running one) that is his weaker side. At advanced levels, the way you break down an opponents weakness is to work their strength until you get a ball which can put fed running to hit a forehand and you get a bunch of errors out of him that way..it is precisely what Nadal does

NamRanger
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree with both of your points. When fed started to dominate, it was because his footwork got a lot better...he had the great strokes before that. his footwork went from forced to effortless and then he started to dominate..i think a lot of that came from him starting to win more, which breeds confidence and more winning and relaxed movement on court

As to his forehand, many people seem to get it wrong. They think because players hit to his backhand they are respecting his forehand and think the bh is his weaker side. I agree it is forehand (the running one) that is his weaker side. At advanced levels, the way you break down an opponents weakness is to work their strength until you get a ball which can put fed running to hit a forehand and you get a bunch of errors out of him that way..it is precisely what Nadal does

Nadal just blew him off the court. It really didn't matter what Nadal did that day. He could do nothing wrong, even if he tried.

urban
06-09-2008, 10:56 AM
But Federer has on clay indeed problems with the wide forehand. And the deep backhand cross of Nadal is poison for him, he gets too late to the ball, and cannot set up his timing for his own dangerous forehand whip. He only brings back a defensive slice of the forehand, and Nadal wiill dictate the point with his own forehand with topspin and sidespin, leaving Federer stranded on the forehand side.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Nadal has been in the zone for the whole tournament. Fed could have put up a better fight but he still would have lost. I've never seen him get run from side to side as much as I did yesterday. He's usually the one doing that to his opponent.

BOZO
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
At first I thought his health is not good enough for the tight game but after I read this thread I'm kind of agree about his foot step problem within the post. Federer's foot step was so bad since Monte carlo final. It seem like he's confusing to put his feet on that's make him lost his rhythm. I believe this problem made his forehand slower then made him lost his confident. I don't think he will win Wimbledon nor USO. He is kind of person that need longer time to gain the confident and optimize his game, he took 4 years to become Federer, 2000-2004, hopefully this time he will come back earlier.