PDA

View Full Version : SYSOP or Chris..etc.. Info on the 300G Oversize ??!!

D. Nelson
03-25-2004, 08:33 PM
...I just picked up a 300G Oversize demo today....first impressions were PRETTY GOOD !! When is T.W. getting that frame ?? How about specs/etc..?? Thanks....

marc tressard
03-26-2004, 03:53 AM
Yes, it looks quite intersting for those of us who need a slightly larger head size with some players' characteristics in a lighter package. BUT!! Yes, the inevitable "but. As with so many recent Dunlop fiascos, they elect to reduce weight (a good idea) and then make the thing noticeably head light to the point that there is no stability or power in stock form! Swingweight is drained to vanishing levels and the things play like toothpicks. This one is not "even balanced" at all but about 4 pts head light. Dunlop as you may or may not know is notorious for having no comrpehensio of what balance means.
Everything to there mind is "even balance." Facing above medium/slow pace the thing will twist in your hand. Dunlop has too others with weird weight to balance ratios, a 400G, and a 500G. The later is completely incomprehensible in design. You might look at the new HTour OS of Wilson with an even balance and somewhat wider mid hoop width or the new PK Core1 #10, neither of which I have tried. Perchance the new Yonex RDX 300 103 is thre answer! I wish TW would review some of these small oversizeds: PK Core 10, RDX 300. The problem with Dunlop's loopy designs is that you end up needing the same same swing as with a low power player racket. Check out Mark's comments on their 300G. So what is gained? This is a reason that Volkl V1 family sets a standard for this class of racket for over a decade, an eternity in tennis racket life.

D. Nelson
03-26-2004, 04:25 AM
....Good insight, there !! This IS headlight...AND lower swingweight....gggrrr !!!! It DOES have great potential for 'fixing', though.................good spin, pretty good serving, very good volleying....what caught my eye was me missing 2 ROUTINE 2-handed serve returns; in the ad court...in the same game.....couldn't tell for sure if I was THAT late on the ball...or what ??? I didn't get enough of a chance to really check it out....damn weather down here in South Florida...going back out today to focus on how it plays to 'MY' best shots/game....

mary fierce
03-26-2004, 06:36 AM
The guy who runs the best pro shop in my area, and who tries every racquet, told me he didn't plan to carry the 300G Oversize because he hit with it and thought it was terrible. I tried the H-Tour Oversize instead and after one doubles game so far am very impressed (some weight added top and bottom).

TW Staff
03-26-2004, 09:54 AM
For more on the 300G Oversize head to
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-D300G.html

Thanks,
Chris, TW.