PDA

View Full Version : Will Federer Ever win the French Open?

Pages : 1 [2]

Chopin
06-14-2008, 07:29 AM
What's so baffling about forming an opinion of Federer based on the fact that his peers, those who share the locker room with him, seem to respect and have positive things to say about him as both a person and a player? Coupled with what I've observed of Federer on the court, and the my knowledge of the charity work he's done forces me to conclude, to the best of the information available, that he's a pretty good ambassador for the game. I never said he was perfect or hasn't said anything rude in the course of his career. How is that baffling?

I'll tell you what is baffling to me is the trite, silly examples you came up with to criticize him (omg he did not just tell Novak's complaining parents to "be quiet" or encourage his friend and countrymen to beat a player)--that's what "troubles" me about these boards--the biased posters who come up with the most mundane nonsense about a particular player simply because they don't like them.

I've no issue with you personally, I just think that you come off as biased against Federer and not at all objective based on your examples. Let's make a deal, I'll come up with a genuine criticism of Federer's comments or behavior if you say something positive about his comments or behavior in relation to a match. Deal? Let's see if we can find some common ground, no?

That won't be necessary. I'm not interested in you coming up with a genuine criticism of Fed. Why? You like him. That's your boy, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't like him, and as far as I can see there's nothing wrong with that either.

What you dismiss as trite is not trite to me. I am character driven, not results driven. I don't like Nadal because he won 4 consecutive French Opens, if he hadn't won one I would still like him. I like him because he's a fighter on court, a lamb off of court, and always say nice things about his opponents. I'm sorry, Fed doesn't do this imo, therefore he's not my cup of tea.

As far as common ground, we should have that too. Our love of the sport is our glue. Maybe I don't agree with you about Fed, but there's probably other players we do agree on. Either way, it's all good. I respect you as a poster without expecting you to please me. I hope I haven't offended you, but nothing would ever make me like Federer. I hope that's not a problem!

BTW-I've never said Fed wasn't a great player. I also said he took the recent loss with grace. I don't believe he has no chance to win the French, anything can happen. But as a personality, I don't like him.

No hard feelings. I respect you as a poster as well. I agree that Nadal is impressive for how hard he fights on the court and how humble he is off it :-)

DarthMaul
06-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Agassi peaked late in his career. Fed has peaked from 2004-2007. Am I wrong?

How the hell do you know when somebody is peaking? Are you some kind of prophet?

DarthMaul
06-17-2008, 02:28 AM
I am a huge Federer fan, but I say NO, he will never win The French. I will still wake up at 7am and root for him if he makes it to the final again though.

No, you are definately NOT a huge Federer fan if you say that. A huge Fed fan just doesn't do what you did. Period. :shock:

DarthMaul
06-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Maybe at some point nadal and fed will make a deal and trade wimbledon for french. but then fed dupes nadal and gets the calender grand slam!

That's the most idiotic assumption I've ever heard! They are not going to trade anything. Each of them are true champions not some freaking Davidenko's!

Chopin
06-17-2008, 03:48 PM
That's the most idiotic assumption I've ever heard! They are not going to trade anything. Each of them are true champions not some freaking Davidenko's!

I think he was joking...

Djokovicfan4life
06-17-2008, 09:22 PM

A little slow on the uptake, are we? :wink:

jsizzle
06-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Fed will never win the french cause he is no animal like rafa

ninman
06-17-2008, 11:05 PM
How the hell do you know when somebody is peaking? Are you some kind of prophet?

Thanks, that post made my day.

The balls in your court.
06-18-2008, 04:54 AM

Actually fed has already been accused of throwing a match a la Davydenko.

ninman
06-18-2008, 06:14 AM
In my opinion Federer's best chances to win the French were 2002-2005, and 2004 in particular. But his clay game didnt really take off until 2005, and unfortunately that's when Nadal came along and started dominating the surface. You know that Federer has been in 11 finals from 15 clay events entered since 2005, and the 8 finals he lost were all to Nadal.

If 2006 Federer had played in the 2004 FO he would have done the GS that year. But for some reason he never really clicked on clay until 2005, which I think is amazing really, and sad as well. If he'd just put in a bit more effort he could have had a GS.

cucio
06-21-2008, 03:05 AM
Sampras thinks not:

"There is a burning desire in Roger to break my record, and when he does it I would like to be there," Sampras said Thursday. "I said to Roger, 'Just make sure it's in New York or London. Australia is a long way to go. (But) if it worked out like that, I would fly there.'

No mention of Paris. Nuff said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/tennis/06/19/sampras.fed.ap/index.html

mishin900
06-21-2008, 04:14 AM
this is just a big no it's becoming more obvious

The balls in your court.
06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
this is just a big no it's becoming more obvious

it was not so obvious 4 years ago when I predicted it.

roysid
06-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Doesn't look like it. But then it was the same for Ivaneisevic. But one year(2001) when Sampras lost he took the oppurtunity and won the trophy. Same for Gomez in 1990.

Something like that may happen for Fed.

TheNatural
06-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Mabe Fed will win the mixed doubles.

caulcano
06-26-2008, 03:34 AM
Hopefully, yes.
Probably, no.

The balls in your court.
06-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Doesn't look like it. But then it was the same for Ivaneisevic. But one year(2001) when Sampras lost he took the oppurtunity and won the trophy. Same for Gomez in 1990.

Something like that may happen for Fed.

Thats a good freaking point. except that fed has had plenty of chances without nadal around..actually 6 chances.

2nd_Serve
06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't think so. I can't see Nadal giving that up. But unless something happens to him, yes he will win it. If Nadal isn't hurt or anything, then Federe will always be 2nd or 3rd or 4th or whatever place.

joeri888
06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Thats a good freaking point. except that fed has had plenty of chances without nadal around..actually 6 chances.

Like the 1999 Federer has got anything to do with the 2003-2008 federer. He should have made more of his opportunity in 2004 and 2005 imo, Nadal was very beatable back than, but Federer played bad, in 2004 Roger himself wasn't ready for it. I always hoped Federer would win the Grandslam. I don't think he'll ever do that, but a career Slam is still a chance. I believe in it. I think it'll be a pretty long time before a Year Grand Slam contender shows up again. Can't see Nadal or Djokovic ever doing it.

rk_sports
06-30-2008, 02:42 PM
If its only Nadal thats stopping him from winning as is the case now..here is my take..

Beating an in-form Nadal is proving more tougher and to make it worse he is improving (serve and flattening groundies) and Federer is not really got any new/improved stuff (not saying he needs them)

Nadal plays such physically demanding sort of game.. that he surely injury prone and can get injured during the season and on the other hand Federer game is based on fluidity/smoothness and hence can play way longer without injuries..so only hope I'm afraid is a less than 100% Nadal

The balls in your court.
07-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Like the 1999 Federer has got anything to do with the 2003-2008 federer. He should have made more of his opportunity in 2004 and 2005 imo, Nadal was very beatable back than, but Federer played bad, in 2004 Roger himself wasn't ready for it. I always hoped Federer would win the Grandslam. I don't think he'll ever do that, but a career Slam is still a chance. I believe in it. I think it'll be a pretty long time before a Year Grand Slam contender shows up again. Can't see Nadal or Djokovic ever doing it.

Actually the 2009 Federer will look like the 1999 Federer. he is not getting any younger.