PDA

View Full Version : Maybe we should apologize to Almagro & Verdasco afterall?

Morrissey
06-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Fed got only one more game than both of them in their respective matches. Everybody was accusing them of not trying. What do we say now?

CyBorg
06-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Let's just give Bellucci the #2 seed at Wimbledon.

zagor
06-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I'll be the first one to take back the things I said about both of them.Seeing the way Nadal demolished Federer I would say it wasn't their fault,Nadal was just having the tournament of his life and his level of play was amazing(similar to Fed in Wimbledon 2005 and AO 2007 although probably even more spectacular).He'll go down as greater claycourter then Borg before he's done IMO(meaning I think he'll accomplish more then Borg,I don't know how would they match-up in their prime).

anointedone
06-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Personally I think Almagro is an overrated player by people anyway but you are right. In hindsight it is obvious they did not deserve the bashing they got after their matches with Nadal.

TheTruth
06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing during the match, and I agree with Anointed One, Almagro is way overrated. Personally, I think his rep comes from John always talking him up. I've never seen Almagro do anything. Matter of fact, I don't think I've ever seen him on the weekend playing in a final. Seen a score on a lower level tourney where he won, but other than that I hope the Almagro Tale can be put to rest!

gj011
06-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Let's just give Bellucci the #2 seed at Wimbledon.

You mean #3.

daddy
06-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Id say they did the very same thing as Federer - did not cope with mental issues they have vs Rafa. I will not apologise to any of them since it's pathetic and if a 20year old brazilian kid can take his best tennis and give it a shot ( playing just a few ATP matches before that in his career ) then these guys including Federer have to give it a go. I dont mind the result, it was the effort which was missing - this is my view.

A.Davidson
06-09-2008, 03:24 AM
I'll be the first one to take back the things I said about both of them.Seeing the way Nadal demolished Federer I would say it wasn't their fault,Nadal was just having the tournament of his life and his level of play was amazing(similar to Fed in Wimbledon 2005 and AO 2007 although probably even more spectacular).He'll go down as greater claycourter then Borg before he's done IMO(meaning I think he'll accomplish more then Borg,I don't know how would they match-up in their prime).

I'm with ya, buddy.

He's h-o-t HOT after such a brilliant performance at Roland Garros. Nobody could touch him these past weeks, be it Federer or anyone else.

And yeah, he will be greater than Borg. Despite a lower amount of titles, I'll give Nadal the #1 "G.O.A.T.O.C." (Greatest Of All Time On Clay) mantle now. Borg's biggest competition was McEnroe - Nadal's is Federer. Federer > McEnroe, so to me that solidifies it for Nadal even if he does have a lower number of total RG titles.

ericsson
06-09-2008, 03:26 AM
I am very curious for the next slams...

brtennis
06-09-2008, 03:27 AM
it was the effort which was missing - this is my view

I'd like to see you play Nadal and see what kind of of effort you can come up with....

daddy
06-09-2008, 03:31 AM
I'd like to see you play Nadal and see what kind of of effort you can come up with....

As I stated before Im not a pro player, comparison is beyond ridiculous. Im sure there are other ways of aproaching the game with the right mindset. I think Nieminen was brushed aside by similar score but he was trying if that counts for you. In my book it does, Verdasco and Almagro could have been in the stands and clap with more effort.

cmb
06-09-2008, 03:55 AM
well sometimes when you are at work...and you know something is just not going to turn out well no matter how hard you try. Some people just dont see the point in putting out the effort. Cant say I blame them, and u dont seem to think that maybe by the time they played nadal(later rounds) all their mental energy was used up...and knowing what it takes to hang with Rafa, they said F it, give me my check and i will get the next flight to warsaw

daddy
06-09-2008, 04:01 AM
well sometimes when you are at work...and you know something is just not going to turn out well no matter how hard you try. Some people just dont see the point in putting out the effort. Cant say I blame them, and u dont seem to think that maybe by the time they played nadal(later rounds) all their mental energy was used up...and knowing what it takes to hang with Rafa, they said F it, give me my check and i will get the next flight to warsaw

I just think there a difference when you are at work / when they are in front of millions of people who paid for the tickets/live stream/cable to watch them not want to put effort in because they think its pointless.

artworks
06-09-2008, 04:40 AM
I just think there a difference when you are at work / when they are in front of millions of people who paid for the tickets/live stream/cable to watch them not want to put effort in because they think its pointless.

I believe, Federer put up a great effort but was not enough.

Rhino
06-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Maybe we should apologize to Almagro & Verdasco afterall?

Don't worry, they didn't hear you.

Benhur
06-09-2008, 05:58 AM
And yeah, he will be greater than Borg. Despite a lower amount of titles, I'll give Nadal the #1 "G.O.A.T.O.C." (Greatest Of All Time On Clay) mantle now. Borg's biggest competition was McEnroe - Nadal's is Federer. Federer > McEnroe.

What are you talking about? Borg and McEnroe didn't play one single match on clay. And even if they had, McEnroe would have been far, far from his "greatest competition" on that surface. Borg on clay had much tougher cookies to contend with than McEnroe, whom he never played on that surface.

cknobman
06-09-2008, 06:28 AM
Id say they did the very same thing as Federer - did not cope with mental issues they have vs Rafa. I will not apologise to any of them since it's pathetic and if a 20year old brazilian kid can take his best tennis and give it a shot ( playing just a few ATP matches before that in his career ) then these guys including Federer have to give it a go. I dont mind the result, it was the effort which was missing - this is my view.

I feel exactly the same way. Fed gave up mentally before he even stepped on the court which led to a half assed looking performance. Im not saying Fed could have beaten Nadal Im just saying he could have done much better actually giving 100%.