PDA

View Full Version : wimbledon needs to speed up their courts

califsurferboy33
06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
alright im sick of this, y is the us open faster then wimbledon, wimbledon needs to stop being ridiculous and speed up the courts!

BeHappy
06-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I agree, it's just too slow now, It's the same speed and bounce height as green clay.

Vision84
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
While I agree whole heartedly this issue has come up many times.

quest01
06-08-2008, 06:01 PM
It's because of the fans. Majority of casual and diehard Tennis fans, mostly casual fans wanted to slow down the courts so they could see more baseline rallies.

tennis_hand
06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
alright im sick of this, y is the us open faster then wimbledon, wimbledon needs to stop being ridiculous and speed up the courts!

sorry, man. it is toooo late to call.

do you think they can change their surface at this right moment and be ready for Wimbledon?

if they haven't changed in the last 2 years, why do you think they will change now?

I think they should just scrap the grass and change to green clay instead. :roll::roll:

califsurferboy33
06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
i know its getting ridiculous, i think one of the main reasons that nadal does so well at wimbledon is that its sooo slow, i mean granted he serves in volleys and does have a decent net game and im not bashing him at all, but seriously wimbledon, if you are out there, SPEED THEM UP!

Nadal_Monfils
06-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Wimbledon is nowhere near green clay. They replayed last year's Wimbledon final and the majority of the points were somewhat short and Nadal was standing much closer to the baseline than he does at any other tournament.

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Well I put some more tedious work and got the US Open, Wimbledon, and Aussie Open stats here. Wimbledon is still the fastest. The main difference is the height of the ball and better bounces than it used to have.
Wimbledon Breaking Percentage (Total) 17.337%
US Open Breaking Percentage (Total) 21.87%
Aussie Open Breaking Percentage (Total) 23.179%
Monte Carlo Breaking Percentage (Total) 29.22%
Roland Garros Breaking Percentage (Total) 24.132%
Hamburg Breaking Percentage (Total) 26.8%
Rome Breaking Percentage (Total) 23.34%

mrDamien
06-08-2008, 06:47 PM
The Wimby was a built up success for Fed. He much enjoying there rather than clay as he can't play in good form either. The Roland Garros too fast for him to catch the ball. Shameful Fed.

jman
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
It's because of the fans. Majority of casual and diehard Tennis fans, mostly casual fans wanted to slow down the courts so they could see more baseline rallies.

This is so true. I remember back in 1999, when Sampras was on a roll at Wimby, majority of the fans found watching pros serving aces and volleying winners boring. So Wimbledon listens, and changes to a slower surface, and now fans want to speed it up.

You simply cannot please everyone.

We really need all grandslams to have different surfaces, with different speeds to make each one unique.