PDA

View Full Version : Borg V Nadal on clay, (With video of final from the year he lost even games than Rafa

BeHappy
06-08-2008, 07:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGvgXpuSKaE

Who is better?

Borg won that Final 6-1, 6-3, 6-1

He was beating people by the same scores Rafa is, barely losing games.

Stchamps
06-08-2008, 07:20 PM
If Nadal went back in time with his rackets and strings he would devastate Borg.

But of course it is completely unfair and impossible to see how Borg would do if he grew up in this era, or if Nadal grew up in Borg's era.

superman1
06-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Borg can't be passed on clay. Neither can Nadal.

It would be a war of attrition. I've seen Nadal get tired, but I don't think Borg ever knew what the word "tired" meant until he was 40.

Vision84
06-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Different game back then. Cannot compare.

HappyAndFriendlyAlways
06-08-2008, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGvgXpuSKaE

Who is better?

Borg won that Final 6-1, 6-3, 6-1

He was beating people by the same scores Rafa is, barely losing games.

wow, his strings are so tight, you can hear a sharp ping when he hits the ball

those guys look like top juniors of today

if nadal today played borg in his prime, nadal would slaughter him 60 60 60, easy

bet
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Borg can't be passed on clay. Neither can Nadal.

It would be a war of attrition. I've seen Nadal get tired, but I don't think Borg ever knew what the word "tired" meant until he was 40.

Yes. Borg might have been the only human being who MIGHT be able to outlast Nadal on clay.

Those who say Borg would get destroyed (EVEN with his wood racquet) are in fact, idiots and/or just young.

The game has changed. But Borg's footspeed and timing are what is really important. He could hit a lot harder than you think, he just didn't choose to. The strategy was a bit different back then.

PS. If you think Borg had tight strings, now imagine strings that tight in a head size that small. Would feel like steel.

superstition
06-08-2008, 09:56 PM
those guys look like top juniors of today
Not again. Equip them with standard-size a wood racquet with a typically dense string pattern strung at 70+ lbs and we'll see how those "top juniors" fare.

luckyguy
06-08-2008, 10:03 PM
if nadal today played borg in his prime, nadal would slaughter him 60 60 60, easy

if nadal played in borg's era using the woody, he would have retired because of broken wrist...

TennisandMusic
06-08-2008, 10:40 PM
At the end of that video Borg is handed a smaller trophy and the bigger one is left behind. I've heard before that when you win a grand slam you don't actually get to KEEP the big trophies but you get smaller replicas. Is that true? If so that's kinda weak.

Nadal_Freak
06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Easy decision. Nadal is better. You can't tell me that the players way back in the 70's compare to players now. Tennis has evolved in a big way. It's amazing what Fed, Nadal, and Djokovic have done despite everyone stepping up their game.

superman1
06-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Yes you can. Same game, different racquets.

If Sharapova can pound the ball consistently, I don't think Borg would have had a problem. The one thing you have to realize is his insane dedication to the sport. His life was tennis. You don't think he would have been a great player in any generation?

He puts every other tennis player to shame, athletically. Nadal is close, though.

Hot Sauce
06-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Damn, those rallies were long!

superman1
06-09-2008, 12:04 AM
IMO, a series of sprints is easier than a marathon. Tennis has evolved, but perhaps it has evolved into an easier sport where you can end a point with a swing of the racquet instead of having to run endlessly until you get an opening.

Rhino
06-09-2008, 01:57 AM

Agreed, the tennis in that clip is so slow it looks like womens tennis.

Gorecki
06-09-2008, 02:28 AM
So Federer invented tennis and Nadal the Baseline game. we are "rappy now"...

These threads about nadal beating borg make fell like im watching the Indenburg!

Oh, the humanity!