PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why coach Higuries should go.

Mr Topspin
06-08-2008, 06:23 PM
IMO the tennis Federer played prior to the final was much worse than the last few years. Coah H seems to have instilled running around the FH, using more drop shots and playing a north-south game style. All this has meant Federer's footwork has looked clumsy at times, he seems to be very erratic on volleys and his serve percentage decreased throughout the tournament. Federer struggled against Montanes, Gonzalez and even Monfils should and could have taken Federer to 5 sets playing a basic pushing game.

I think that Federer masked over his Rg form going into the final but most shrewd observers were worried that he had not really established a groove and was fortunate with a beatable draw and a dominant h2h over guys like Ancic, Gozalez etc. If federer had met Gulbis, Almagro, Djokovic prior to the final we may not have witnessed the disapointing performance in the final.

All in all, I think Higuries has not improved Federer's overall clay court game. Some might say that he reached the final but Federer has done that in the last two years anyway. The test is Federer played by his standards a poor RG tournament and it was hidden by getting to the final but the gap on today's display was huge between 2 and no 1. Some might argue that Federer pushed Nadal only a few weeks ago in Hamburg and choked whilst leading but i would argue as others have said, Nadal had played 4 tournaments in a month and also the clay is completely different in Hamburg.

Today's result show how poor men's tennis really is where an average Federer can get to an RG final and get destroyed so comprehensively when he should have been taken out earlier if there were any decent clay courters around.

tennis_hand
06-08-2008, 06:41 PM
his footwork didn't look good at at all even against Monfils. He still runs when he was hitting his forehand. Clay courters will slide and hit.

maybe his forehand isn't really meat for the slide and open stance. if that's the case, then Fed just cannot match the clay expert like Nadal on the dirt.

Pinnacle Powerserver
06-08-2008, 06:52 PM
don't forget because his nickname higgy

jman
06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Higueras is probably going to get flamed from everyone. Remember this is the guy who has coached Chang and Courier to RG titles aswell as great champions like Sampras.
However, it's quite difficult to implement an effect on a player such as Roger over a short period of time. Personally I think Higueras and Federer had a successful clay court season given the circumstances. You cannot argue with results such as a title in Estoril, 2 Master Series Finalists, 1 Masters Series Quarter Finalist and Grandslam Finalist!!
Abit more time may have seen better results. All I hope is that during this clay court stint with Higueras, Federer has actually learned from his losses. And I think he has, with all the dropshots and drop volleys and whatnot.
So I think Higueras deserves repect!

Now, what I'd like to see is Federer work with Darren Cahill. He's worked with and achieved great results with Australians such as the late Peter Carter and Tony Roche. I'd also like to see Gil Reyes on Fed's team. Alongside with Pierre Paganini, I believe this is the team that will get him across the finish line at Roland Garros.

samster
06-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Higueras was not going to be able to provide a quick fix in few weeks with Federer. That expectation is just unrealistic.

Nadal played out of this world today. Nobody could have stopped him.

Carlyn Blair
06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
IMO

Today's result show how poor men's tennis really is where an average Federer can get to an RG final and get destroyed so comprehensively when he should have been taken out earlier if there were any decent clay courters around.

The problem is in the way the draws are made:
http://tenniscruz.com/content/view/251/90/

In Roland Garros - Roger Federer Fell Victim to his Lack of Respect for Jose Higueras!

http://tenniscruz.com/content/view/267/90/

Pistol Pete
06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
i agree coach Higueras has to go. He worked with Pete for a brief stint. And pete played less like himself and more like courier and chang just patient and all that jazz. Roger is an instinctive player and needs to get back to that formula.Higueras is a good coach but not for roger.