PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive Cortex gave me tennis elbow :(

whereisz
06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I've been demo'ing the Pure Drive Cortex (non-Roddick version) for the past few days. Initially I liked the feel of the big sweet spot and the power/spin it provided. Not much effort needed to produce powerful shots with this racquet for sure.

However after 2 days of hitting, my elbow started to hurt... I was wondering if this has happened to other people as well. I know it's a light racquet, but I've tried similar lightweight racquets in the past and non gave me the TB. Could it be the Cortex System that's causing it?

LanEvo
06-08-2008, 06:42 PM
no its because of the stiffness rating, thats thing has a 70stiff or so that thing is also known to many as the tennis elbow causer

whereisz
06-08-2008, 06:48 PM
no its because of the stiffness rating, thats thing has a 70stiff or so that thing is also known to many as the tennis elbow causer

But I swear it feels so soft and nice when i hit it....:evil:
Who knew it would sneak up on me like that.... I blame on the Cortex!

quest01
06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I never had elbow problems with the Pure Drive or any Babolat racquet.

LanEvo
06-08-2008, 06:52 PM
well every person is different like for instance me i have played with every type of racquet out there, stiff, flexy all kinds and i have never had any pain or anything so its basically just depends ont he person

fortunecookiesjc
06-08-2008, 07:28 PM
The only racquet that i had trouble hitting due to elbow pains was the LE agassi radical but its prob cuz of those strings

rockbox
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM
The only racquet that ever gave me tennis elbow was a triple threat graphite that I demoed. Fully poly jobs give me TE though.

superstition
06-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I did a poll about the Pure Drive a few years back and a lot of people reported tennis elbow. If you're going to use it, you should probably use a soft string like natural gut.

Chasing Tomorrow
06-08-2008, 08:16 PM
it gave me a stress fractured elbow :-(

SonRK
06-08-2008, 08:20 PM
My friend used a PD Cortex and he has no problems while when I went and demoed a Aero Pro Drive + (no cortex) I got tennis elbow. My form was a lot worse back then so that also contributed to tennis elbow, but now I use a Prince Speedport Black (for months now) and I have no elbow pain even though it has similar stiffness rating.

whereisz
06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
By the way, the demo PD i got was strung with Xcel. I've played tennis for 10 years and have never gotten a tennis elbow. the PD gave it to me in less than 2 days. Looks like i'm gona stay with my pog.

Micky
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
By the way, the demo PD i got was strung with Xcel. I've played tennis for 10 years and have never gotten a tennis elbow. the PD gave it to me in less than 2 days. Looks like i'm gona stay with my pog.

Hola whereisz,

Your post is very funny. To blame the "Cortex" system for your tennis elbow makes me think you are just another Babolat hater. Go cry to your pog.

jazar
06-08-2008, 10:49 PM
the majority of people i have come across with tennis elbow use babolat. it probably doesnt help that they have single handed backhands and use big banger as well

whereisz
06-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Hola whereisz,

Your post is very funny. To blame the "Cortex" system for your tennis elbow makes me think you are just another Babolat hater. Go cry to your pog.

I've used other babolots before, such as PST, and AeroPro without Cortex. None of them gave me the sore and pain the PD did... sorry, i'm not a hater, just sharing my unfortunate experiences.

jayserinos99
06-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I had the same problem with the APDC versus the PDC. The APDC gave me arm problems but the PDC didn't; both are strung with the same natural gut hybrid at the same tension (56 lbs) and also had a rubber band damper.

whereiz, to answer your question, the PDs have a reputation for causing tennis elbow since they are quite stiff...and add to it that people will use co-polys to tame the power of the frame (not in your case since it's strung with XCel..question is, at what tension?). In your case, to go from a POG (mp or os?) to a PD is a bit of a jump. If you're using the mp, the solidness/mass of the POG helps keep the frame stable (even more so if you use lead) but also that you may be emphasizing the swing a bit more since the PD is lighter. If you're using the os, you simply have more racquet head and mass to deal with than the PD.

Micky
06-09-2008, 06:11 AM
I've used other babolots before, such as PST, and AeroPro without Cortex. None of them gave me the sore and pain the PD did... sorry, i'm not a hater, just sharing my unfortunate experiences.

Hola whereisz,

Good. I am glad you don't hate Babolat. I hate Babolat haters. jejeje. Since you have played with Babolats before, you should be aware that if your string job is not fresh or if it is not the correct one you will run into trouble.

I have been fighting arm problems with my Babolats just because the balls have changed here in Bolivia. Penn claycourt balls are heavier and harder and so are the cheap Dunlops my club has bought. But I would not blame Cortex for all of this. Take care,

fuzz nation
06-09-2008, 07:20 AM
I'd say that anyone is somewhat "at risk" of some sort of irritation in the arm when switching racquets - suddenly you're using something with a different weight, balance, etc. and it's a lot easier to get a bunch of mishits until you adjust your muscle memory to put the ball on the sweetspot again. The coincidence is that you're trying out a PD Cortex which carries a not-so-great reputation for arm comfort.

After playing with really stiff bats for over a decade with no arm issues, I saw some twinges show up in my elbow when I started trying demo frames and I'm convinced that it was hard on my arm to suddenly change gears like that. Even if a demo felt pretty good over a long session, I could be feeling a little sore the next day, probably because I was working harder with my arm and wrist to unconsciously steer that different racquet to the ball.

Can't say if you'd eventually get comfortable with that Babolat, but if you decide to use it, I'd recommend that you consider a soft string. A hitting pal of mine tried poly in the PD Roddicks he'd been using for a while and he got a solid dose of tennis elbow. After cooling things out with rest and therapy, he's using the same frames with a switch to natural gut and he's been symptom free for many months.

herosol
06-09-2008, 07:26 AM
It's just weird. Many people with APD or PD with Full Gut, Synth, Hybrids are commonly getting TE, yet i play my APDC with full poly and it doesn't happen.

Does it just vary among people's bodies?