PDA

View Full Version : DID Novak Djokovic shoot himself in the Foot once again during the BBC Interview?

Fedace
06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
What is up with Novak ? During the interview with BBC during the Queen tournament today, the question was asked,,,,,"Novak, who would you rather play in the Semis, Roger or RAFA ??" He clearly stated Rafa, since Roger is the best grass court player in the world. Problem with this is that Rafa is the hottest player in the ATP right now, and he does not need any more Motivation to want to beat you. Or did he just deviate from the Politically correct answer, "i will play whoever that gets there, does not matter to me". Well maybe or maybe not.:???:

daddy
06-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Fedace, whod you rather face on grass, 5 time Wimbledon champion or 2 time finalist ? I agree Rafa's chances are up there now, but you got to honor the champion.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Fedace, whod you rather face on grass, 5 time Wimbledon champion or 2 time finalist ? I agree Rafa's chances are up there now, but you got to honor the champion.

Or he could have just said, "Wellll, it doesn't matter to me, i will play whoever is there, Rafa or Roger, they are both great champions, i don't really care" this is what 99.9% of the guys say and also ATP tour coaches them to say.

flyer
06-09-2008, 08:23 AM
What is up with Novak ? During the interview with BBC during the Queen tournament today, the question was asked,,,,,"Novak, who would you rather play in the Semis, Roger or RAFA ??" He clearly stated Rafa, since Roger is the best grass court player in the world. Problem with this is that Rafa is the hottest player in the ATP right now, and he does not need any more Motivation to want to beat you. Or did he just deviate from the Politically correct answer, "i will play whoever that gets there, does not matter to me". Well maybe or maybe not.:???:

this is what i like about djokovic as compared to the other top players, he actually answers the questions honestly and says what he thinks as opposed to the "right" answer, i can pretty much answer any question to roger and rafa because they say the same d@mn politically correct thing every time and thats boring....i want to hear the truth, and djokovic gives you that, so stop bashing him for being honest

herosol
06-09-2008, 08:24 AM
it's a freaking interview.
those thing's mean close to zero.

daddy
06-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Or he could have just said, "Wellll, it doesn't matter to me, i will play whoever is there, Rafa or Roger, they are both great champions, i don't really care" this is what 99.9% of the guys say and also ATP tour coaches them to say.

But he's the one who is not coached to say anything, we learned that part in the past. He said some really bad things compared to this and this is nothing in my book. Let's just say Rafa would do the same, they are quite a few years younger and he is still the king of grass.

flyer
06-09-2008, 08:26 AM

see thats whats ridiculous, whats wrong with being honest?! Why do people look at that negativly? how is it wrong to say you would rather play one player than another!?

WBF
06-09-2008, 08:26 AM
No offense, but what a ludicrous post. Who gives a **** if Nadal has won the French 4 times in a row? It is completely irrelevent whether Nadal is 'hot' right now. The fact is, he has not won Wimbledon yet. I see nothing wrong with Djokovic's response. It is accurate.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 08:27 AM
this is what i like about djokovic as compared to the other top players, he actually answers the questions honestly and says what he thinks as opposed to the "right" answer, i can pretty much answer any question to roger and rafa because they say the same d@mn politically correct thing every time and thats boring....i want to hear the truth, and djokovic gives you that, so stop bashing him for being honest

I agree with you on this. I actually do hope more of the top pros would just come out and say what they feel and think, instead of ALL those Coached ATP tour generic answers. but you do have to understand there is some fear that some Stupid reporter will go out and make a big deal of it like London SUN times.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
No offense, but what a ludicrous post. Who gives a **** if Nadal has won the French 4 times in a row? It is completely irrelevent whether Nadal is 'hot' right now. The fact is, he has not won Wimbledon yet. I see nothing wrong with Djokovic's response. It is accurate.

My point is Novak did have some guts to deviate from the usual Generic, i will play whoever response. I do think that is gutsy. Alot of ATP pros also fear ******* off another pro like Rafa cause they don't need any more motivation to beat you. it is tough enough to beat them as it is.

ACE of Hearts
06-09-2008, 08:34 AM
To me Djokovic is still an unknown on grass.He is not a guarantee to reach a final or a semis on grass just yet.I know he has been playing well but grass is way different, if its real grass and playing fast.

raiden031
06-09-2008, 08:36 AM
I would've said "neither". I'm surprised that given the last few months he thinks Federer is a bigger threat than Nadal. I just don't see Fed dominating at Wimby and I'll be surprised if he actually wins this year.

ACE of Hearts
06-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey raiden if u think that, give me some reasons why?Federer's serve on grass excels as well as his backhand unless they really slowed down the surface.I might give u that reason.I dont give a damn how Nadal is playing.This is Federer's surface and nobody else!!!!

Fedace
06-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey raiden if u think that, give me some reasons why?Federer's serve on grass excels as well as his backhand unless they really slowed down the surface.I might give u that reason.I dont give a damn how Nadal is playing.This is Federer's surface and nobody else!!!!

Who knows, they may have added some red clay under the grass ?

daddy
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I would've said "neither". I'm surprised that given the last few months he thinks Federer is a bigger threat than Nadal. I just don't see Fed dominating at Wimby and I'll be surprised if he actually wins this year.

So who's your pick ? Roddick ? I assume he can dent someone's chances ( depending on which part of the draw he gets and his conditioning - injury ).

raiden031
06-09-2008, 08:56 AM

Because Fed has been struggling for the past 5 months. Its not like winning wimbledon last year was a cake walk, he fought hard for it in the final. I think Nadal or Djokovic will take it. Maybe Roddick could oust Fed early, but i don't see Roddick winning the tourny.

Rhino
06-09-2008, 08:59 AM
His answer was just honest and his answer made sense. Fedace you are still dazzled by Nadal, as we have just finished Roland Garros, but when you come back down to earth you'll see that clay isn't everything.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
His answer was just honest and his answer made sense. Fedace you are still dazzled by Nadal, as we have just finished Roland Garros, but when you come back down to earth you'll see that clay isn't everything.

Oh i see,, is that why Rafa of last year who wasn't playing anywhere near as good as he is now, was only few points away from winning wimbledon??:confused:

malakas
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
what you find strange about his answer?!?!???? :confused: Anybody would have answered Nadal.:roll:

jkonecne
06-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Pretty much everyone would rather play Rafa instead of Federer at Wimbledon. Everyone knows that Djokovic speaks his mind, so i doubt any of the players are gonna really care since they are all thinking it. It doesn't really matter what the public thinks because the public is always talking and pros have learned to not take things from the public and press personally. Plus, Nadal won't really care since he probably agrees. Nadal knows he's #2 on grass behind Federer. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

daddy
06-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Btw do you have any links to this interview ?

Rhino
06-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Oh i see,, is that why Rafa of last year who wasn't playing anywhere near as good as he is now, was only few points away from winning wimbledon??:confused:

He lost to Nicolas Mahut in straight sets during Queens last year and his run to the final of Wimbledon was fraught with difficulties and luck.
You say he was only few points away from winning Wimbledon, but he was also a few points from going out in the 3rd and 4th rounds, not to mention the situation in the semifinal.

wangs78
06-09-2008, 09:24 AM
The right answer to such a question is not "I don't care". Sure it's neutral but it's just a mindless answer. If you want to be politically correct, you should say "Honestly, I wouldn't want to face either of them, they're just both so good you know. My hope is I get to play a qualifier in the semi's so that I have the best chance to make it to the finals."

=p

Vision84
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
On clay he probably would have said Federer honoring Nadal as the best clay courter. It evens itself out and he is correct with what he says. It is best to save the champion in the final if they are to get there.

It's similar to when Federer says that a French Open will mean a lot more if he beats Rafa in the final.

danb
06-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I never liked politically correct interviews... Speak up your mind and if others can't take it then too bad.

moonbat
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Perhaps he was being respectful to Federer, who just got his *** handed to him at the French. If he'd picked to play Federer in the semis, not only would it be a bad bet statistically, it would also rub salt in Federer's wound. As much as many of you dislike Novak, he can be quite gracious at times, and it would also help to remember that since English is not is first language, his responses could be perceived as less nuanced than what would be expected from a native English speaker.

danb
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
The right answer to such a question is not "I don't care". Sure it's neutral but it's just a mindless answer. If you want to be politically correct, you should say "Honestly, I wouldn't want to face either of them, they're just both so good you know. My hope is I get to play a qualifier in the semi's so that I have the best chance to make it to the finals."

=p

LOL LOL LOL :)

Fedace
06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
LOL LOL LOL :)

I agree, Very Funny...why couldn't Novak think of that ??

cknobman
06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I wish Djoker would have said "Now that the clay season is over I dont give two *****s about Rafa and if I play him or not because chances are that I will spank him 8 out of 10 times!"

Now that would have been an honest answer, a funny answer, and shooting himself in the foot all at the same time.