PDA

View Full Version : high swingweight = more power?

tennis_guy
06-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Recently started playing the M-fil 200 again, not really used this racket that much. The swingweight if I remember is about 340. The power level is higher than I expected, it's not that immediately powerful, but when you get the weight moving a bit there really is a lot of power. This is no problem on serves and volleys, but on my groundstrokes I find the ball getting away from me more than I want, couple this with the tight string pattern and you really need a clean hit. Ive always had a big serve and with this racket its bigger than ever. Must be the swingweight?

MrAWD
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
As long as you can swing it hard/fast, higher swing weight will give you more power! Just think about the car accident for the Civic against the Gold and Expedition SUV with same speeds!!

Fedja

bluetrain4
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
In theory yes, if you can swing it at the exact same speed (and accuracy) of a lower SW racquet.

That's a pretty big "if" for a lot of people.

tennis_guy
06-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah but even at a really low swing if I hit clean I find the ball can really take off more than i'm used to. Maybe its the m fil 16 string on there, i still have the original factory string. Doesn't really help with the lack of spin issue.

MrAWD
06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
I have never played with M-fil so I can't comment on that one. But, I've played with other hefty sticks that where mostly control oriented! If you don't hit the ball with the full swing and right, most of the balls would hardly reach the net!

In your case, maybe you just have a racquet that is a bit too powerful for you and your playing style. Friend of mine plays with that stick and he goes between that one and Yonex RDS 002 Tour. Second one is great for serving, but lacks from the baseline. Dunlop is great from the baseline, but serve is just OK.

I would try a different stick that has less power built in and see if it is your swing or a frame!

Good luck!

Fedja

Steve Huff
06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
My guess (without seeing you play) is that the heavier racket is causing you to be a little late in your contact with the ball compared to what you're used to. Consequently, the ball is taking off at a higher trajectory than what you're used to with your previous racket.