PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose what racquets to demo

Blask
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm going to order a handful of racquets to demo from TW. I've never demo'd over the internet so I'm looking to get 4 at once to make the most of it.

I've been hitting w/ the PSC 6.1 for about 13 years and am looking to make a switch. I definitely like the head size and don't want to go much bigger and like the weight of the racquet.

I've demo'd the K95 6.1 and didn't like it. I've also hit with a few Babs and didn't like the 3 I have hit with. I normally string with Prince Problend around 55lbs but am open to trying something a little bit more arm friendly.

I'm open to trying any brand, I'm just looking for input.

TIA
blask

rockbox
06-09-2008, 10:54 AM
It would help if you told us why you didn't like the racquets you tried and what you liked about your old racquet.

honz
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Um...

Head: Radicals/Prestige
Prince: Speedport Black/White
Yonex: RQ iS 1 Tour/RDS 002 Tour

That's the list of racquets I'm looking to try at least...and we like similar size/weight in our racquets, so I would say take a look at those.

furyoku_tennis
06-09-2008, 02:56 PM
you could try the pro kennex redondo its pretty arm friendly

Blask
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
It would help if you told us why you didn't like the racquets you tried and what you liked about your old racquet.

The reason for the search is to find a racquet that is a little bit more forgiving. Plus, since I just cracked my backup I figured it would be a decent time to see what's out there.

honz
06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
I think the Speedport Black is pretty forgiving, although I have yet to hit with it...that's just what I've heard.

RichardGD
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I just did my first demo from TW, have to send them back tomorrow. If I had domoed in the past it would have saved me some money. I'll second what Honz suggested. I just had a Yonex RQis1 and the RDS-001 MidPlus. I really liked the feel of the RQis1, good spin/control and easy to maneuver at the net. Also easy on the arm. I liked the RDS 001MP as well but it was much stiffer and I had trouble getting power on my serves. Another raquet I think sounds good is the Wilson K Factor KPro Tour.

mdjenders
06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
coming from your racquet, I would try the Head Microgel prestige mid, Yonex RDS001 mid/midplus, Prince Ozone Pro Tour, Prince Tour Graphite 93, Donnay Pro One MP

dreydey
06-09-2008, 09:38 PM
go with the Donnay you wont be disappointed

mdjenders
06-09-2008, 11:40 PM
actually the donnay is quite a bit more flexible than the psc so the op should definitely demo. the prince graphite has more of a rock solid feel, while the donnay is more of a buttery flexy feel

dylanm_12
06-10-2008, 12:11 PM
speedport white is a good demo, its arm friendly and has freakin awesum pop and great control. while the speedport black is a little on the painfull side but if you like power in your racquet you might like that racquet.

Abriano
06-11-2008, 06:38 AM
psc 6.1: 95sqin, 357g, 11p.HL, SW326, RA72

tecnifibre tfight 335: 97sqin, 352g, 10p.HL, SW320, RA63

fuzz nation
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Good call from Abriano - I haven't tried the TFight 335, but it's spec's look like it would be a forgiving alternative to the old Prostaffs. I used to play the 6.1 Classics and I've been all over the map in the last few years in terms of what I've tried, but no matter what, I also like to be in the neighborhood of the weight and balance of those Wilsons.

The Prince Speedport Black is definately a different animal than the 6.1 Classic - to me it felt not so headlight and I didn't much relate to it. One racquet that certainly has potential as a forgiving alternative to the 6.1 Classic is the Volkl C10 Pro - handling is similar, but the feel is softer and its personality is very string dependent. The Prince Hybrid Tour is also a terrific frame that I can most accurately describe as a leaner version of the Prostaff. Not that it's too light to play well - it just seems a little more manageable to me and I really took to it on a couple of long test drives. I highly recommend a look at that one now that they're marked down.

I'm curious to try the Fischer M Comp because it also looks like a more forgiving alternative to the Prostaff. You may want to research it. My main bats these days are the Prince NXG mid and midplus along with the C10's depending on my mood. In each case, I've taken up with hefty frames with more flex which has been great for my groundstrokes, but it took some patience to find a good fit for me. I recommend keeping some notes as you go through your demos because they can be a handy reference later on after you've tried a few. And of course... good luck!

Blask
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Good call from Abriano - I haven't tried the TFight 335, but it's spec's look like it would be a forgiving alternative to the old Prostaffs. I used to play the 6.1 Classics and I've been all over the map in the last few years in terms of what I've tried, but no matter what, I also like to be in the neighborhood of the weight and balance of those Wilsons.

The Prince Speedport Black is definately a different animal than the 6.1 Classic - to me it felt not so headlight and I didn't much relate to it. One racquet that certainly has potential as a forgiving alternative to the 6.1 Classic is the Volkl C10 Pro - handling is similar, but the feel is softer and its personality is very string dependent. The Prince Hybrid Tour is also a terrific frame that I can most accurately describe as a leaner version of the Prostaff. Not that it's too light to play well - it just seems a little more manageable to me and I really took to it on a couple of long test drives. I highly recommend a look at that one now that they're marked down.

I'm curious to try the Fischer M Comp because it also looks like a more forgiving alternative to the Prostaff. You may want to research it. My main bats these days are the Prince NXG mid and midplus along with the C10's depending on my mood. In each case, I've taken up with hefty frames with more flex which has been great for my groundstrokes, but it took some patience to find a good fit for me. I recommend keeping some notes as you go through your demos because they can be a handy reference later on after you've tried a few. And of course... good luck!

Thanks for the great recommendations. My list of racquets to try is growing. I'm going to demo 4 and then come back with my results to see what people think is a good direction to go. Thanks again

RedWeb
06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Good luck, but just remember there's not always gold at the end of the demo rainbow.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/goldfail.jpg?w=400&h=299

dreydey
06-11-2008, 07:06 PM
which 4 are you going to demo

m1stuhxsp4rk5
06-11-2008, 07:09 PM
ag 200 is a good racket, mg prestige isnt bad

Blask
06-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all of the input so far. I have a long list to demo. The first 4 coming are the RQS1, the Prince O3 Speedport Tour, and then the prince speedports white and black.

I have a pretty lengthy list to go through so I plan on keeping notes on each one to compare and then narrow it down from there. Many of these are on backorder from TW so I went with 4 that were available immediately.

One question, who makes the Tfight 335?

Blask
06-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Nevermind that last question, I found the Tfight