PDA

View Full Version : RPNY tennis -- Best in the world at Tennis Racket Customization- Sending my racket in

Fedace
06-09-2008, 10:19 AM
OK, RPNY is well known among the top pros in the world, but they offer some of the finest work available that NO other pro shops even offer or even attempt. For Example, i have a Yonex racket that i am going to send in to them for Enlarging the grip size. Typically, most shops will build it up with Shrink Sleeves which is Ok but the problem is it adds lots of weight to the bottom and changes the balance of the racket completely.
But RPNY offers to Remold the Grip to the exact Size and Shape you want from the scratch, just as the Factories do. The Cost is only about $110-120. I can't wait til i use their service.:)

Pro_Tour_630
06-09-2008, 10:24 AM
newtechtennis will do it for 1/3 of the price?

besides even with yonex from the factory the larger the grip the heavier it is ie 5/8 is heavier than 3/8, stock from the factory :confused:

Balsa cork sheets if cut properly will do the trick for a fraction of the cost

MHobbit
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
For that price, wouldn't it be better to just spend an extra $50 and get a new racquet entirely (depending on how much a new one costs), with the proper grip size?

MrAWD
06-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Hmm, I am sure that shop is extremely good in what they do, but I can't reason out $110-$120 for 0.2 oz of weight in the handle. And at the same time, you could get another racquet for a bit more/less/same money elsewhere that would come with the right spec...I don't know it could be just me...

Fedja

Fedace
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
For that price, wouldn't it be better to just spend an extra $50 and get a new racquet entirely (depending on how much a new one costs), with the proper grip size?

I am building up to 4 7/8 or grip size 5. they do not sell this, that i know of.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
newtechtennis will do it for 1/3 of the price?

besides even with yonex from the factory the larger the grip the heavier it is ie 5/8 is heavier than 3/8, stock from the factory :confused:

Balsa cork sheets if cut properly will do the trick for a fraction of the cost

Does newtechtennis also have Molding machine just like the Yonex factories do ?? i am NOT talking about building it up with shrink tube or wood pieces. i am talking about completely stripping off the mold and putting a new one on. and what is the website adress of thsi company?

Shangri La
06-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Will TW offer customization in the future?

LafayetteHitter
06-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Great idea until you decide to switch racquets and sell it.

sruckauf
06-09-2008, 11:20 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people on these boards first response to these types of threads is to crap on people's excitement about their gear.

Hope you enjoy your custom handle man. Let us know how you like it after you've played with hit.

the Town Sherif
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
in my mind you're not getting your moneys worth

Fuzzy
06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
is that price per racquet?

i hit babolats for awhile and i love the shape of their grip...switched to a prince...which i love, but can't quite get used to the size....i don't think it would be worth it to send them in but i've always been kinda curious

Fedace
06-09-2008, 01:21 PM
is that price per racquet?

i hit babolats for awhile and i love the shape of their grip...switched to a prince...which i love, but can't quite get used to the size....i don't think it would be worth it to send them in but i've always been kinda curious

Yes, it can be done. do you want the contact information??

Octavianus
06-09-2008, 01:28 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how many people on these boards first response to these types of threads is to crap on people's excitement about their gear.

Hope you enjoy your custom handle man. Let us know how you like it after you've played with hit.

I can't wait for the answer.

gonzalocatalino
06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I would prefer sell the frame and buy/trade for a new one with the right gripsize. $120 dont make make sense to me but, anyway, its your money :)

pNoyr3D
06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
He did say that he was getting to 4 7/8 and they do not sell 4 7/8 grips.

All I have to say is that you have to have a huge hand!

sureshs
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
I am building up to 4 7/8 or grip size 5. they do not sell this, that i know of.

European grip size 5 is 4 5/8, not 4 7/8

Fedace
06-09-2008, 03:17 PM
European grip size 5 is 4 5/8, not 4 7/8

No i am talking about like real size 5 like Ivo Karlovic and Sampras used to use.

wao
06-09-2008, 03:20 PM
No i am talking about like real size 5 like Ivo Karlovic and Sampras used to use.I've talked to Ronan about extending my sticks from 27.25 to 27.75 and the price was like 80-100 wasn't to bad. Might bring them a couple when I am back in the city for the US Open. Good luck

robby c
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
The Euro system is simply in eighths. Euro 6 is 6/8 or 4 3/4. My favorite size
Fedace: Get exactly what you want. I'm thinking about letting Roman's guys change the pallets on my Head 4 5/8 over to Wilson shape 4 3/4. Maybe when my rebate arrives. If my wife hasn't spent it.
Robby C

Fedace
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
I've talked to Ronan about extending my sticks from 27.25 to 27.75 and the price was like 80-100 wasn't to bad. Might bring them a couple when I am back in the city for the US Open. Good luck

YOu do have account for the fact that it will increase the swingweight. If you are increasing by 0.5 inches, it could be a lot. not sure how much. Sold of like Wilson K-factor 95 regular vs the extended, big difference in SW.

wao
06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
YOu do have account for the fact that it will increase the swingweight. If you are increasing by 0.5 inches, it could be a lot. not sure how much. Sold of like Wilson K-factor 95 regular vs the extended, big difference in SW. Absolutely, That is why I an going to his shop and get a better understanding. The good thing is the stick is only 11.6oz. I am just as intrested to see what the new balance point would be.

Steve Huff
06-09-2008, 03:45 PM
When he says 5, he is NOT referring to 4 5/8. He's referring to the next size larger than 4 7/8, which is a grip size of 5. This means the grip is 5" around. A 4 5/8 is 4 5/8 inches in circumference. That is a big hand, but not that unusual, and racket companies just don't make them any more. I think you're doing the right thing--getting the grip size you need.

Racquet Man
06-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Fedace, did you get RPNY to quote the job to you over the phone? Did you deal with Roman directly?

I'm curious whether they have a set price list per customization task that we can ask to see or,do they only establish the price after seeing the racquet and doing an estimate?

Fedace
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Fedace, did you get RPNY to quote the job to you over the phone? Did you deal with Roman directly?

I'm curious whether they have a set price list per customization task that we can ask to see or,do they only establish the price after seeing the racquet and doing an estimate?

YES, we talked over the phone. and that price is about what i expected, just cause it is fairly a Big Job. you have to rip off the plastic mold that is there and put the new one on with the machine. This is far from simple job of putting on the heat shrink tube. Surprising thing is this plastic handle that is there is quite Soft and looks like it can come off fairly easy. it is like a very soft Plastic...

anirut
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
OK, OK, here's my input ...

I trust that you all might have heard a famous Eienstrin quote:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

IF you have imagination;
IF you dare to ask;
IF you dare to try ...

You can get the job done -- a DIY -- for something like ... US$50 max. And you have the mold at home for future uses on ANY other racket you want.

And for that 50 bucks, you'd learn a lot too.

Seriously, the job can be done at home in just two-three days. Just use a little imagination.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 07:50 PM
OK, OK, here's my input ...

I trust that you all might have heard a famous Eienstrin quote:

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

IF you have imagination;
IF you dare to ask;
IF you dare to try ...

You can get the job done -- a DIY -- for something like ... US$50 max. And you have the mold at home for future uses on ANY other racket you want.

And for that 50 bucks, you'd learn a lot too.

Seriously, the job can be done at home in just two-three days. Just use a little imagination.

PolyUrethane plastic and the Smelting equipment maybe hard to find in the US. It is a Industrial equipement.

anirut
06-09-2008, 08:07 PM
PolyUrethane plastic and the Smelting equipment maybe hard to find in the US. It is a Industrial equipement.

May be in the States, I don't know. Here you can just walk around and find resins and hardeners and foams and what not easily.

As for the mold, I used to start with plaster of paris, or use anything to create the "positive". Then mix the silicone to create the negative (the mold). You can then proceed from there with a little imagination and understanding of material properties.

mutt
06-10-2008, 04:51 AM
anirut, can you please post pictures of your molds?

Thanks a lot!

Fedace
06-10-2008, 04:53 AM
anirut, can you please post pictures of your molds?

Thanks a lot!

i would never do that, too much chance that i will mess it up and screw up the entire racket.

mutt
06-10-2008, 05:13 AM
why? I just want somes pictures of the empty mold.

Fedace
06-10-2008, 05:15 AM
why? I just want somes pictures of the empty mold.

I meant, actually doing the molding job myself in the garage or soemthing.

anirut
06-10-2008, 05:32 AM
I haven't done molds for pallets, yet, as I have other ways to adjust the grip shape to my liking.

I don't need to increase my size any further. (As of now it's big enough ... ;) )

I've done molds for some other kind of plastic work more than two decades ago when I was in college. (PU foam pallet can be done in a similar manner to plastic too). It's not that dificult at all. That knowledge is still in my head. As I said, you need more of imagination than just knowing how to do it. Imagination helps you plan your processes.

If ever I want to do the mold work again, I can do it anytime.

The Pure One
06-10-2008, 05:39 AM
I've talked to Ronan about extending my sticks from 27.25 to 27.75 and the price was like 80-100 wasn't to bad. Might bring them a couple when I am back in the city for the US Open. Good luck

Better go with Bosworth Tennis (Boca Raton, FL). Google it. Call them and send the racquets. The price is less than half than RPNY. Bosworth charges around $40 to $45 per racquet for extending the length of the handle and RPNY charges $105. And with Bosworth you can add one inch to the handle and with RPNY you CANNOT go more than half an inch.

mutt
06-10-2008, 05:50 AM
anirut,
can you send me a private message to francis_45@hotmail.com please!

I have somes questions for you!

thanks!

Mutt

NoBadMojo
06-10-2008, 06:44 AM
Better go with Bosworth Tennis (Boca Raton, FL). Google it. Call them and send the racquets. The price is less than half than RPNY. Bosworth charges around $40 to $45 per racquet for extending the length of the handle and RPNY charges $105. And with Bosworth you can add one inch to the handle and with RPNY you CANNOT go more than half an inch.

I agree. Bosworth IS the racquet guru and not that Roman guy. Bosworth also does quite a lot of customizing for the pros..you just dont hear about it.

Fedace
06-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I agree. Bosworth IS the racquet guru and not that Roman guy. Bosworth also does quite a lot of customizing for the pros..you just dont hear about it.

I also know Bosworth. He is very reasonable in price. and quality of work is excellent. Most of the work is now being done by his assistants now

Pro_Tour_630
06-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Does newtechtennis also have Molding machine just like the Yonex factories do ?? i am NOT talking about building it up with shrink tube or wood pieces. i am talking about completely stripping off the mold and putting a new one on. and what is the website adress of thsi company?
yes he does new foam mold, his name is Mark at newtechtennis.com

Fedace
06-10-2008, 06:54 AM

thank you i will check them out as well. but they don't pick up the phone, i have to leave messages

dallastxtennis
06-10-2008, 07:50 AM

Just contact and received an email from them states that they're no longer offer this service.

sureshs
06-10-2008, 09:45 AM
When he says 5, he is NOT referring to 4 5/8. He's referring to the next size larger than 4 7/8, which is a grip size of 5. This means the grip is 5" around. A 4 5/8 is 4 5/8 inches in circumference. That is a big hand, but not that unusual, and racket companies just don't make them any more. I think you're doing the right thing--getting the grip size you need.

OK I understand now

wao
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree. Bosworth IS the racquet guru and not that Roman guy. Bosworth also does quite a lot of customizing for the pros..you just dont hear about it.ED and the pure one, I sent then a email and am awaiting there response. Thanks.

chrisplchs
06-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Bosworth is the best. In terms of clientele, Bosworth has more than Roman and even P1 does also.

Roman isn't bad but his prices are extremely uncompetitive relative to what the others charges.

Basically, the most difficult/expensive part would have having access to a CNC mill to shape the handle. Those CNC mill can do just about anything

jayserinos99
06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I called them today; it seems they are quite busy in preparation for Wimbledon.

Fedace
06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Does anyone know, what kind of Stringing machine, they use there ?? It looks like nothing i have ever seen before....

LPShanet
06-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know, what kind of Stringing machine, they use there ?? I looks like nothing i have ever seen before....

If you're asking about RPNY, they have machines that are custom made for them. They're somewhat similar to the Babolat Star series, but not the same.

Zhou
06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
If you're asking about RPNY, they have machines that are custom made for them. They're somewhat similar to the Babolat Star series, but not the same.

From the pictures it looks more like an Alpha Equinox branded by Wilson.

LPShanet
06-23-2008, 08:50 AM
From the pictures it looks more like an Alpha Equinox branded by Wilson.

Which pictures? They use various things when they're on the road. The info I provided comes from Roman himself and from visits to RPNY.

FedererISBetter
06-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Can't you just place more overgrips over it since we are increasing the grip size.
I remember using 2 original grips+ 2 overgrips on a 4 1/2... i just remember my wrist stiffens a lot more when I swing at it... not sure if it would constitute as a 5.

Fedace
06-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Can't you just place more overgrips over it since we are increasing the grip size.
I remember using 2 original grips+ 2 overgrips on a 4 1/2... i just remember my wrist stiffens a lot more when I swing at it... not sure if it would constitute as a 5.

If you do that, you will end up with round grip. as for myself, in a quick exchange, finding an exact grip in a split second is the difference between unforced error or a clean winner.

Zhou
06-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Which pictures? They use various things when they're on the road. The info I provided comes from Roman himself and from visits to RPNY.

Oh. I looked at there website.