PDA

View Full Version : Fed will be number 3 at the End of the Year

Nadal_Freak
06-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm calling it. Fed has a lot more points to defend than Nadal and Djokovic now. I think both Nadal and Djokovic are really picking up their game as shown by the French Open Semis. Djokovic has a lot more points to gain during the indoor season and Nadal has a lot of points to gain during the US Open Series and US Open.

LafayetteHitter
06-09-2008, 12:03 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/11i1i5c.jpg

Rhino
06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm calling it. Fed has a lot more points to defend than Nadal and Djokovic now. I think both Nadal and Djokovic are really picking up their game as shown by the French Open Semis. Djokovic has a lot more points to gain during the indoor season and Nadal has a lot of points to gain during the US Open Series and US Open.

How many titles did Nadal win after Roland Garros last year? (Not including that little clay court event in Stuttgart that he slotted in after Wimbledon).

I guess Nadal had better hope he doesn't run into Mahut (!), Federer, Djokovic, Monaco, Ferrer, or Nalbandian this time, eh?
Or Youzhny, Tsonga, Seppi (!), Roddick, or Davydenko for that matter.

TennisandMusic
06-09-2008, 01:01 PM
How many titles did Nadal win after Roland Garros last year? (Not including that little clay court event in Stuttgart that he slotted in after Wimbledon).

I guess Nadal had better hope he doesn't run into Mahut (!), Federer, Djokovic, Monaco, Ferrer, or Nalbandian this time, eh?

And Federer should hope to play these guys? How many titles did Federer win this year so far?

federer envies me
06-09-2008, 01:05 PM

thats hilarious!!!:)

r2473
06-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Uh, Fed can't be #3 when he is retired (because "Fed should just retire").

crazylevity
06-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Empty vessels make the most noise.

Rhino
06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
And Federer should hope to play these guys? How many titles did Federer win this year so far?

we're talking about now until the rest of the year, traditionally Fed's best half.

(i.e. '07 - Canada - final, Cincy - won, US Open - won, 2 Davis Cup rubbers - won, Basel - won, Madrid - final, Paris - 3rd round, and Tennis Masters Cup - won).

icazares
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't know if Federer is going to be 1, 2 or 3 by the end of the year, but I do believe that his dominance is over. I don't think he's going to win Wimbledon and/or the US Open this year. Btw, I'm a huge Federer fan, but time has passed, tennis has evolved again and Federer hasn't evolved at the same pace. I argue that his backhand needs to be completely reconsidered. I argue that he's not as fit as in the peak years.

TennisandMusic
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
we're talking about now until the rest of the year, traditionally Fed's best half.

(i.e. '07 - Canada - final, Cincy - won, US Open - won, 2 Davis Cup rubbers - won, Basel - won, Madrid - final, Paris - 3rd round, and Tennis Masters Cup - won).

It's only "traditionally" his best half because there is no clay though right? His first half hard court season was not too good for a number 1. No titles, a first round exit, losing to Andy Roddick of all people...the writing appears to be on the wall. We'll see what happens, he has a ton of points to defend.

TheTruth
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't know if Federer is going to be 1, 2 or 3 by the end of the year, but I do believe that his dominance is over. I don't think he's going to win Wimbledon and/or the US Open this year. Btw, I'm a huge Federer fan, but time has passed, tennis has evolved again and Federer hasn't evolved at the same pace. I argue that his backhand needs to be completely reconsidered. I argue that he's not as fit as in the peak years.

I think this post is spot on. He's not as fit as he should be. He was tired in the first set, even the commentators pointed it out and how he got tired in his other two four set losses to Nadal. Pride and stubbornness will be the death of Fed. That he hasn't fixed that backhand in all these years is baffling!

Nadal_Freak
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
It's only "traditionally" his best half because there is no clay though right? His first half hard court season was not too good for a number 1. No titles, a first round exit, losing to Andy Roddick of all people...the writing appears to be on the wall. We'll see what happens, he has a ton of points to defend.
Yeah. Fed's actually had a better clay season than hard courts. Dubai was a very fast court and Fed loses to Murray. Glad someone thinks with their mind rather than their heart.

johnny ballgame
06-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Here's hoping Fed doesn't run into the likes of Mardy Fish(!), Roddick, Stepanek(!), Nalbandian, Murray, Volandri(!), Gonzo, Canas, Ramirez Hidalgo, Tipsarevic, Djokovic or Nadal!

deme08
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Im calling it

zagor
06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Here's hoping Fed doesn't run into the likes of Mardy Fish(!), Roddick, Stepanek(!), Nalbandian, Murray, Volandri(!), Gonzo, Canas, Ramirez Hidalgo, Tipsarevic, Djokovic or Nadal!

Stepanek and Volandri have never beaten Federer on anything but clay(and clay season is over now) and Hidalgo never beat him on any surface.

It's kinda funny how people here are quick to bury Federer,he might make you eat your words if he wins Wimbledon or USO(or both)then again maybe not,we'll just have to wait and see but I think some people here are writing Roger off prematurely.

malakas
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Nadal_Freak you're oh so generous.Such a pathetic player should be at least out of the top 10 I would say.

zagor
06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Nadal_Freak you're oh so generous.Such a pathetic player should be at least out of the top 10 I would say.

LOL,yeah I would guess top 15-20 would be more appropriate for such a mediocre player with the worst backhand on tour(who by some miracle reached 1 slam semi,1 final and 2 masters finals this year).

Rhino
06-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Look, for someone with mono he did well to stay at number 1, then he had the best clay court season of his life. Every year people bask in the glow of Nadals May/June prowess but by December the lack of clay has taken it's tole on his aura.

king of swing
06-09-2008, 02:10 PM

wow...you sure you aren't related to Bush??

luckyboy1300
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
it's so much sad that for a very classy player he has such very pathetic fans. what irks me enough though is that how they rave that the fed fanboys are very arrogant, yet look at this! very very pathetic indeed. well just continue raving, then. the claycourt season is over.

veroniquem
06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
it's so much sad that for a very classy player he has such very pathetic fans. what irks me enough though is that how they rave that the fed fanboys are very arrogant, yet look at this! very very pathetic indeed. well just continue raving, then. the claycourt season is over.
I don't think Fed's troubles are though. Future will tell!

fastdunn
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
It could be very close race between Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic.
I wonder who will end up wining 2 slams this year. Maybe no one.

Shaolin
06-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Well put by deme08 and crazylevity.

Some Nadal fans just DONT get it. Feds game is designed to win on ALL surfaces, Nadals game is designed for clay and that is the only surface he wins majors. As amazing as Fed is on hard, grass and indoor it is a PHENOMENAL achievement to reach the RG final the last 3 years and SF the year before, along with winning TMS titles on clay.

Note to crazy Nadal fans: Take off the fanboy headband before it cuts off more circulation to your brain. Nadal deserves a lot of respect, but wake up and look at the big picture.

veroniquem
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
It could be very close race between Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic.
I wonder who will end up wining 2 slams this year. Maybe no one.
Yes, that's the right question. I feel almost certain that one of the 3 is gonna win 2 slams, and that will determine the rankings. At the moment Fed seems to be the least likely to achieve this but who knows? If he wins Wimby again everything is possible. Interestingly we could have 2 for Rafa ( RG and wimby) and 2 for Djoko (AO and USO). That would be intriguing. If it's 1 for Rafa, 1 for Fed and 2 for Djoko, I think everyone will agree that Djoko is the new #1, if it's 1 for Rafa, 1 for Djoko and 2 for Fed, then it's a status quo: nothing changes.

Q&M son
06-09-2008, 02:43 PM

Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:twisted:

akv89
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Is there a point in making these predictions other than just to provoke people into pointless arguments?

TennisandMusic
06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Well put by deme08 and crazylevity.

Some Nadal fans just DONT get it. Feds game is designed to win on ALL surfaces, Nadals game is designed for clay and that is the only surface he wins majors. As amazing as Fed is on hard, grass and indoor it is a PHENOMENAL achievement to reach the RG final the last 3 years and SF the year before, along with winning TMS titles on clay.

Note to crazy Nadal fans: Take off the fanboy headband before it cuts off more circulation to your brain. Nadal deserves a lot of respect, but wake up and look at the big picture.

The big picture is that at this point anything is possible, and it seems to be making Federer fans quite angry. It appears Nadal has adjusted his game, playing up to the baseline, or as he puts it "inside the court." Even Federer acknowledged this, that he attacks much more now and it is extremely difficult to deal with. This is the change Nadal needs to make on faster surfaces (see beating Blake twice as well as Tsonga in just a few weeks).

I think most reasonable Nadal fans realize his strongest surface is clay. What's impressive is his constant improvement whether it's his serve, volleys, backhand, attacking game...it just keeps getting better and you saw the culmination in this tournament and on Sunday.

The bottom line "we shall see" isn't it? Seems like the Federer fans are just livid. It's kinda weird.

veroniquem
06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
The big picture is that at this point anything is possible, and it seems to be making Federer fans quite angry. It appears Nadal has adjusted his game, playing up to the baseline, or as he puts it "inside the court." Even Federer acknowledged this, that he attacks much more now and it is extremely difficult to deal with. This is the change Nadal needs to make on faster surfaces (see beating Blake twice as well as Tsonga in just a few weeks).

I think most reasonable Nadal fans realize his strongest surface is clay. What's impressive is his constant improvement whether it's his serve, volleys, backhand, attacking game...it just keeps getting better and you saw the culmination in this tournament and on Sunday.

The bottom line "we shall see" isn't it? Seems like the Federer fans are just livid. It's kinda weird.
I agree some of them are just frantic and hurl insults at you as soon as you question Fed a little, but others like Zagor are nice and respectful. I wish they were all like him!

malakas
06-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Fedfans adjust so as to answer the *********s on their own level.

veroniquem
06-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Fedfans adjust so as to answer the *********s on their own level.
Is it a war then?

malakas
06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Is it a war then?

you consider yourself a ********* then?;)

veroniquem
06-09-2008, 03:34 PM
you consider yourself a ********* then?;)
I do (I'm crazy about the guy) but I hope I'm a good one: I don't throw insults at people for having different opinions and I maintain a healthy level of realism (no, Nadal is not the favorite at USO...)

zagor
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM

Please some Nadal and Sampras fans are no saints either and are fanatical about their favourite player as well,just see some threads and posts by Nadal fans during the FO and those made by Pete's fans during his exhibitions with Fed when they stated that Pete will come back to tour and win USO and Wimbledon at the age of 37.

I stated couple of days ago that I think that the improvements Nadal made in his game will translate to grass as well and I'm a big Fed fan so really maybe you should stop your ridiculous generalization about Federer fans,it's getting annoying.Does saying that I think some people are writing off Fed prematurely make me a Federer fanatic? So if I don't agree with the general consensus here that Federer(who happens to be my favourite player of all time)is finished,I'm supposed to be an angry Fed fanatic(according to you)?

malakas
06-09-2008, 03:38 PM
I do (I'm crazy about the guy) but I hope I'm a good one: I don't throw insults at people for having different opinions and I maintain a healthy level of realism (no, Nadal is not the favorite at USO...)

then you're simply a sane (as possible :p ) healthy nadalfan.:)*********= nadal fan without any logic and out of control.

Sadly,this time every year an epidemic of tardness strikes among most otherswise nice nadal fans.

veroniquem
06-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Oops sorry :oops: I wasn't aware of the difference...

Nadal_Freak
06-09-2008, 04:53 PM
then you're simply a sane (as possible :p ) healthy nadalfan.:)*********= nadal fan without any logic and out of control.

Sadly,this time every year an epidemic of tardness strikes among most otherswise nice nadal fans.
If that's the definition, I got logic though it is painful for Fed fans to hear. ;)

Lendl and Federer Fan
06-09-2008, 07:34 PM

LOL..., a very nice way to humor the nasty *******s. Why does a classy Nadal get so many of these tacky fans? :lol:

tennis_hand
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM

best reply to this thread. you made my day! :p

Purostaff
06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
hey hey, texas don't need that ********* here

cknobman
06-10-2008, 06:41 AM

You are the definition of *******. Not because your his fan which is fine and so would praising him in threads but because your only pathetic little mission on these boards is to find some way to put down/discredit/bash/troll against Federer.

Please do Nadal a service and change either your one track mind or your name.

Oh and Id be more worried about Nadal being 3 than Fed. This time last year Djokovic was 2000 points behind Nadal. This year he is just over 200 behind and Nadal's precious clay season is over so the heat is really on.

slice bh compliment
06-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Is there a point in making these predictions other than just to provoke people into pointless arguments?

What!? Predictions and pointless arguments? On the internet?!
;-(

fednad
06-10-2008, 07:03 AM

You gave me a chuckle and made my day.
Thank You!!

fednad
06-10-2008, 07:05 AM
[/COLOR]

I think this post is spot on. He's not as fit as he should be. He was tired in the first set, even the commentators pointed it out and how he got tired in his other two four set losses to Nadal. Pride and stubbornness will be the death of Fed. That he hasn't fixed that backhand in all these years is baffling!

I think you are a fed hater.

LanEvo
06-10-2008, 07:06 AM
i think Fed will stay number one and win wimby and the us open

SikSerb
06-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Im not calling nothing. Anything can happen, Federer could come back and win Wimbledon convincingly, who knows. Not something you predict carelessly.

zagor
06-10-2008, 07:14 AM
What!? Predictions and pointless arguments? On the internet?!
;-(

You're right but it wouldn't hurt if mods made a sticky called "Fed is finished" or something similar so all the Nadal and Sampras fanboys can go there and celebrate(maybe prematurely)Roger's demise.It's becoming a little annoying when every 5 minutes another "Fed's done" thread pops up.

daddy
06-10-2008, 07:21 AM
You're right but it wouldn't hurt if mods made a sticky called "Fed is finished" or something similar so all the Nadal and Sampras fanboys can go there and celebrate(maybe prematurely)Roger's demise.It's becoming a little annoying when every 5 minutes another "Fed's done" thread pops up.

Cmon you forgut us Joker's fans ? We want in too !

zagor
06-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Cmon you forgut us Joker's fans ? We want in too !

LOL,no I consider you,gj011 and Sikserb good posters,I have never seen you bash Fed.

Nadal_Freak
06-10-2008, 08:11 AM
You are the definition of *******. Not because your his fan which is fine and so would praising him in threads but because your only pathetic little mission on these boards is to find some way to put down/discredit/bash/troll against Federer.

Please do Nadal a service and change either your one track mind or your name.

Oh and Id be more worried about Nadal being 3 than Fed. This time last year Djokovic was 2000 points behind Nadal. This year he is just over 200 behind and Nadal's precious clay season is over so the heat is really on.
Nadal has many more points to defend in the clay season. The knee injury hurt Nadal's results last year during the American Hardcourt season. I expect better results this year and Fed will fade away.

skip1969
06-10-2008, 08:30 AM
i can always count on this board for a few laughs, which is why i keep comin' back for more!

every year, it's the same song and dance with you people: nadal wins everything in sight during the spring . . . nadal wins roland garros . . . and out come the cries of, "nadal will be the new number 1. fed's time has passed."

and every year, fed finishes up being top dog . . . with more slams added to his cv. and all nadal has to show for his labors is increasing his record for most consecutive weeks at number 2 (yawn).

haven't the last few years taught us anything? apparently not. but you clowns can start claiming victory when nadal manages to take the number 1 slot away from fed . . . for a WEEK even! or when he is holding up a slam trophy anytime after the first week of june . . . which, to my knowledge, has yet to happen.

the king is dead, long live the king. well, i'll believe it when i see it.

dh003i
06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
And if Federer wins Wimbledon and the USO, which he's still the favorite in, what then?

All the talk about "mental strength" is over-rated. Look, players are mentally strong when they're good, when they have the advantage. It's much easier to be mentally strong then. There have been numerous times on hard-courts last year when Nadal was just displaying defeated down body-language. Look at his SF match against Tsonga.

That's what happens when you're just totally outclassed in a match.

Sampras displayed some negative body language in his one match vs. Federer.

Again, so what?

These are the same idiots who predicted Federer was done before the clay-court season even started; didn't give him a chance to even make it to the FO final. So, no, I don't think that the predictions are credible.

At some point, Federer will gradually start declining. But you don't go from 3 slams / yr to 0 in 1 year; not normally.

fps
06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
in 05, when Fed also went the first 6 months without winning a grand slam, was there the same nihilistic view on him on these boards?

zagor
06-10-2008, 10:10 AM
And if Federer wins Wimbledon and the USO, which he's still the favorite in, what then?

All the talk about "mental strength" is over-rated. Look, players are mentally strong when they're good, when they have the advantage. It's much easier to be mentally strong then. There have been numerous times on hard-courts last year when Nadal was just displaying defeated down body-language. Look at his SF match against Tsonga.

That's what happens when you're just totally outclassed in a match.

Sampras displayed some negative body language in his one match vs. Federer.

Again, so what?

These are the same idiots who predicted Federer was done before the clay-court season even started; didn't give him a chance to even make it to the FO final. So, no, I don't think that the predictions are credible.

At some point, Federer will gradually start declining. But you don't go from 3 slams / yr to 0 in 1 year; not normally.

I agree with that,the year ain't over yet.You're also right that even a mental giant like Nadal was showing poor body language when he lost to Tsonga and Gonzales at AO and in his two losses to Nalbandian last year(one even in front of his home crowd) but people forget that during the FO and Nadal is a God while Fed's finished(supposedly).I'd say Fed still has a good shot at Wimbledon and USO this year.

dh003i
06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree with that,the year ain't over yet.You're also right that even a mental giant like Nadal was showing poor body language when he lost to Tsonga and Gonzales at AO and in his two losses to Nalbandian last year(one even in front of his home crowd) but people forget that during the FO and Nadal is a God while Fed's finished(supposedly).I'd say Fed still has a good shot at Wimbledon and USO this year.

Yes, he still has a shot at Wimbledon and the USO, which would make it a great year, the best of any player. And of course he's the best in both venues.

Now, if he loses at Wimbledon, that signals a problem. But nothing he can't recover from. Sampras had 2 separate stretches of 4 Wimbledons in a row, interrupted in the middle. I suspect Federer will be winning Wimbledons until he retires. He's just that good on grass. I think he'll probably S&V more; unless they ruin the grass even further.

And yea, any player would've been destroyed by Nadal that final; he played just absolutely perfect. The best I've ever seen him play on clay, which says a lot. Single-digit errors the whole match. You have to give credit to him, and I feel no disappointment that Federer lost the FO; he just met a guy who was playing much better, and better than even his best would be. Same thing with the AO; of course he had mono, but so what, people get sick. And the guy who won is the guy who played better, and deserved to win.

dh003i
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Nadal has many more points to defend in the clay season. The knee injury hurt Nadal's results last year during the American Hardcourt season. I expect better results this year and Fed will fade away.

See skip's post; you guys are like a broken record.

I suspect that if Nadal stays around long enough to take advantage when Federer either retires or is truly declining -- which won't be for several more years -- he'll be able to take the FO and Wimbledon, possibly the AO too. I hope that he gets the #1 spot at some point, because I think of Djokovic gets it after Fed finally does call it quits, Nadal will never get it.

dh003i
06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
in 05, when Fed also went the first 6 months without winning a grand slam, was there the same nihilistic view on him on these boards?

Most likely...albeit, even if Fed wins Wimbledon and the USO this year, it won't be as good a year as '05, because '05 was arguably his best year, with that insane 81-4 record. But still, any year you win 2 slams is a great great year. 1 slam is a great year too.

fps
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Most likely...albeit, even if Fed wins Wimbledon and the USO this year, it won't be as good a year as '05, because '05 was arguably his best year, with that insane 81-4 record. But still, any year you win 2 slams is a great great year. 1 slam is a great year too.

i don't think i'm having a great year then,..

smO
06-10-2008, 11:28 AM

You called me a fool on other thread when I said Federer will win.. :cry:

coloskier
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM

Can you name one Masters level non clay tournament where Nadal is ever the favorite? Even the oddsmakers have Fed still picked to win Wimbledon. But I predict that Nadal WILL do better this summer, for no other reason than he didn't have to waste his body in 5 set matches so far as he has had to in the past years.

Nadal_Freak
07-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Like I was saying...

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Nadal_Freak,

Stop worrying about Federer, focus on your guy.

Like I was saying...

He has more points to defend, but he still has a little room to gain points. Right now you look like a genius, that's very seldom, but true.

This is tooooo funny. :lol:

edberg505
07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
I kinda hope he does fall down to number 3. Hell I hope he goes down to 4. Federer won't be happy about that ranking but I can tell you that 1,2, and 3 certainly won't be happy about meeting him before the finals either.

Blade0324
07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
To the original topic of this thread if he keeps on the same path as he has so far this year and any others continue to play well I could see him outside the top 5.

edberg505
07-24-2008, 12:19 PM
To the original topic of this thread if he keeps on the same path as he has so far this year and any others continue to play well I could see him outside the top 5.

Maybe that's his game plan, drop his ranking all the way down into the teens and then take out the #2 or #1 ranked players in the big tourneys thereby droping the higher seeds rankings.

veroniquem
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Maybe that's his game plan, drop his ranking all the way down into the teens and then take out the #2 or #1 ranked players in the big tourneys thereby droping the higher seeds rankings.
By the time his ranking drops that much, he won't have the game or the confidence to take the big names out.

edberg505
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
By the time his ranking drops that much, he won't have the game or the confidence to take the big names out.

Maybe, maybe not but I can assure you that no one will be happy to see him in their side of the draw just like when Pete's ranking dropped.

pabletion
07-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Whats the scenario if Nadal wins the Rogers Cup? Whats the ranking gonna look like, how many pints will Fed have and Nadal have?

skip1969
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
fed won't lose number 1 just yet, even with this early loss at the canadian . . . but nadal is the one with the buckeload of points to gain the rest of the way.

i'm quoting from another thread, cos it's easier.

Here's a good comprehensive analysis by Tom Perrotta from NYSun:

"Federer and Nadal return to action this week at the Rogers Cup in Toronto, a few weeks earlier than usual because the summer schedule has been adjusted to accommodate the Olympics, which begin in Beijing on August 8. At the moment, Nadal, the French Open and Wimbledon champion, trails Federer by 770 points in the rankings. But if you subtract the points from last year's hard court season — namely, the tournaments in Canada, Cincinnati, and the U.S. Open — Nadal leads Federer by 700 points. For Federer, that is the magic number this summer. Outdo Nadal by 700 points and he retains the top ranking, at least until later in the year. Otherwise, Nadal takes over.

Federer has his work cut out for him. I've waded into the complexities of rankings in this column before, but there's a simple way to look at the system. The question to ask yourself is, "How many points does a player have available to him?" If a player wins tournament A, when that tournament comes around again the next year, the player has nothing to gain (or, no points available). If he wins, he maintains the same number of points. If he loses even a round earlier, he gives up points. If he doesn't play the event, he gives up all the points. Federer always has a strong summer hard court season, and last season, in fact, was among his best: He lost in the final of the Rogers Cup, won Cincinnati, and won the U.S. Open for the fourth consecutive year. Even though the Olympics give him the opportunity to win as many as 400 additional points this summer, he has much less to gain than Nadal, who has yet to deliver a strong summer hard court season.

If we total all the points available to each player from now until the second weekend in September (including the Olympics and the U.S. Open final), Federer can add — at most — 550 points to his current total (if he wins in Toronto and Cincinnati, wins the gold medal, and defends his U.S. Open title). If Nadal wins all those events, he'll add 2,020 points to his ranking. The differences in opportunities are so great that Federer could win all of these events and still lose the no. 1 ranking after the U.S. Open, provided that Nadal regularly reaches the semifinals and finals of events (yet doesn't win a tournament). After the U.S. Open, matters won't get much better for Federer. He won last year's Masters Cup in Shanghai; Nadal lost in the semifinals. In Shanghai and at other late-season indoor tournaments, Federer could add about 1,600 points to his ranking by the end of the year, while Nadal has a chance to add twice that many.

How difficult will it be for Federer to stay on top? Consider this scenario. Suppose Federer beats Nadal in the final of Toronto, Cincinnati, the Olympics, and the U.S. Open. He would remain no. 1 — by a margin of 20 points. If the two men turned in identical performances the rest of the season and met in the final of the Masters Cup (rather than the semifinals, as they did last year), Federer would lose the no. 1 ranking even if he won that match. This bears repeating: Federer could beat Nadal in the final of the five biggest events remaining this season, and he would lose his no. 1 ranking.

If this seems unfair, I'm here to tell you it isn't. Nadal already deserves the no. 1 ranking for the simple reason that what he has accomplished this year — winning the French Open-Wimbledon double for the first time in 28 years, and doing it against Federer in the prime of his career — ranks among the finest achievements in tennis history. It should be difficult for Federer to keep something that, at the moment, his rival deserves more.

If Federer stumbles in Toronto this week, we could see the end of his reign at no. 1 — which began in February 2004 and has spanned 234 weeks — sooner rather than later. I doubt that will happen. As awful as that Wimbledon loss had to have felt, Federer will not sulk through the remainder of the season. However, I'm guessing we're going to witness Nadal's best hard court season this year, too. He has extra motivation and confidence (as if he needed more of either) this year, and he's clearly a better player than in years past. Better still, the men who often trouble him on hard courts — powerful hitters such as Tomas Berdych, James Blake, Mikhail Youzhny, and Richard Gasquet — are slumping or hurting. As well as Federer might play this summer, it probably won't be well enough to protect the top ranking that he has held longer than any man before him."

Hope you have your questions answered.:)

Nadal_Freak
08-17-2008, 04:47 PM
He has more points to defend, but he still has a little room to gain points. Right now you look like a genius, that's very seldom, but true.

When have I been so wrong? I'm just brutally honest and the *******s don't like to hear it. Fed is not aging well as some of the other greats. I think it is due to the level of tennis being so high these days that any slight decline is magnified. Fed depended heavily on his reflexes and now they aren't quite as great.

drakulie
08-17-2008, 04:52 PM
When have I been so wrong? I'm just brutally honest and the *******s don't like to hear it. Fed is not aging well as some of the other greats. I think it is due to the level of tennis being so high these days that any slight decline is magnified. Fed depended heavily on his reflexes and now they aren't quite as great.

He's exhausted. He plans to sleep between the end of the US Open and beginning of the AO Open. He should be well-rested by that time.