PDA

View Full Version : College tennis on TTC

Mansewerz
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Could be some future pros shown on here. I think this is interesting since it's a lot closer to what recreational tennis/high school tennis looks like.

Mansewerz
06-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Holy crap, didn't even realize that this was Somdev Devarrman. I really enjoyed the match. Much more finesse and point construction, or maybe it's the lack of power that forced me to notice this. Also, I liked seeing this lefty S &V player. Future Johnny Mac?

NamRanger
06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Holy crap, didn't even realize that this was Somdev Devarrman. I really enjoyed the match. Much more finesse and point construction, or maybe it's the lack of power that forced me to notice this. Also, I liked seeing this lefty S &V player. Future Johnny Mac?

Yea, Somdev is a real crafty guy. Great at counter punching against big hitters. He frustrates those guys to no end.

Mansewerz
06-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Yea, Somdev is a real crafty guy. Great at counter punching against big hitters. He frustrates those guys to no end.

What surprised me is how many aces the guy got. At first they mentioned how his serve wasn't that great of a weapon before. Then they mentioned how he worked on it and wow, he painted those lines. Plus, at first the match looked very close. Then he got one break, and it was his from there. 2008 NCAA champion, too bad he can't go for the 3 peat.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Could be some future pros shown on here. I think this is interesting since it's a lot closer to what recreational tennis/high school tennis looks like.

now after seeing this match, you will be convinced why Somdev will have difficult time breaking into top 100.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Where is the match ?? i am seeing stupid Murphy Jensen and idiot show.

Mansewerz
06-09-2008, 07:53 PM
You missed it. It was one at around 7:00PM central time. Honestly, the second set was Samdev's right when he got the break. J.P. Smith served first, and he was broken, and I knew it was over right then and there. Great match, somehwat short though.

Mansewerz
06-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Replay is on now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fedace
06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
You missed it. It was one at around 7:00PM central time. Honestly, the second set was Samdev's right when he got the break. J.P. Smith served first, and he was broken, and I knew it was over right then and there. Great match, somehwat short though.

Somdev vs Alex Clayton was much better match. Alex had chances to win that match but somdev had little more experience.

Mansewerz
06-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Somdev vs Alex Clayton was much better match. Alex had chances to win that match but somdev had little more experience.

Was it the semis? I didn't even notice the NCAA tennis on TTC until today, the finals.

Purostaff
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Lukacs... noooooooo!

Fedace
06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Was it the semis? I didn't even notice the NCAA tennis on TTC until today, the finals.

Yes it was in the semis, even though he lost, you could clearly see that Alex was a superior talent and a bright future in the pros. and this JP smith guy is a short guy that serve and volleys, something you rarely see these day.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey, this JP Smith guy can really serve and volley. He has a explosive 1st serve, sold of like Goran Ivanisevic

MariaS
06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Was this the tennis match shown in Vegas?

Mansewerz
06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey, this JP Smith guy can really serve and volley. He has a explosive 1st serve, sold of like Goran Ivanisevic

Yea, that's why I was really impressed with the kid. Mixed with the lefty spins, he's very dominant. Many times it looked like Samdev was utterly shocked lol. Though there are things he needs to work on. He is only a freshman, so he did pretty well. Imagine this kid becoming like John McEnroe with a 2 hander lol.

christo
06-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Yea, that's why I was really impressed with the kid. Mixed with the lefty spins, he's very dominant. Many times it looked like Samdev was utterly shocked lol. Though there are things he needs to work on. He is only a freshman, so he did pretty well. Imagine this kid becoming like John McEnroe with a 2 hander lol.

get real, that's like finding another Nadal, ain't gonna happen

Fedace
06-09-2008, 10:42 PM
get real, that's like finding another Nadal, ain't gonna happen

He is nothing like Nadal, you are right. He is a smaller version of Goran Ivanisevic.

Fedace
06-09-2008, 10:46 PM

This kid has lots of talent. Like i said, you can see the talent in a college player that sets him apart from the ordinary field of college tennis. Just like Ben Becker looked different from the rest of his Baylor college mates, even though he was just playing #2 singles at the time. This kid has a explosive game. He made some stupid amateur like errors to get broken in the first set. Sitter forehand, missed long--could have gone anywhere for a winner, and double fault on a break point. Even though Somdev had problems returning his 2nd serves. Cut those out and you have Goran like game with Pat Rafter like volleys.

Mansewerz
06-10-2008, 08:05 PM
This kid has lots of talent. Like i said, you can see the talent in a college player that sets him apart from the ordinary field of college tennis. Just like Ben Becker looked different from the rest of his Baylor college mates, even though he was just playing #2 singles at the time. This kid has a explosive game. He made some stupid amateur like errors to get broken in the first set. Sitter forehand, missed long--could have gone anywhere for a winner, and double fault on a break point. Even though Somdev had problems returning his 2nd serves. Cut those out and you have Goran like game with Pat Rafter like volleys.

I want to see how well he does next year. Ironically, like Pat, he's Australian!