PDA

View Full Version : lets start a petition to speed up wimbly

makhan10
06-10-2008, 03:21 AM
what you think

of course it will be too late to do it this year but next year is always a possibility, if we can get enough signatures

Rataplan
06-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Let's not. It's fine as it is.

treblings
06-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Sounds good to me. I donīt think however, that speed is the problem.
Itīs more like the quality of the grass is getting better, so they can cut it shorter. That means that players can stay on the baseline.
One of the reasons they serve-volleyed so much in the past was because of all of the bad bounces they got.

luckyboy1300
06-10-2008, 03:59 AM
is the court in halle more or less the same as wimbledon? it sure is very fast, faster than us open imo.

zagor
06-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Yeah,let's to do it I'm sure All England Club will listen to our needs and change the grass LOL! The reason they changed the grass in the first place was because people were complaining about serve-fests(Goran-Krajicek semis come first to mind),now Goran is one of my favourite players but I understand how most people would find his matches on lightning fast grass boring.

boredone3456
06-10-2008, 04:40 AM
I a, sure Andy would love it if the grass were different since he has the biggest serve out there besides Goran, but frankly Wimby goes so slow because of mother nature, and the matches need to constantly be shifted, plus the intense baseline play, I cannot believe they say they don't need to play middle sunday after what happened with the weather last year.

drive
06-10-2008, 04:46 AM
Most tennis fans don't want a return to boring-grass. Deal with it.

pound cat
06-10-2008, 05:08 AM
You think a petition from messageboard posters is going to change Wimbledon? That's not the way the business world works, and pro tennis is a business. Sorry to disillusion you.

War, Safin!
06-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Andy Murray was saying earlier today after his match at Queens that during the 2nd week, the surface at Wimbledon nowadays becomes very similar to that of hardcourts if there's a decent summer...

In contrast, the grass surface at Queens is a higher bounce....

I don't think using the old rye-grass is the solution - especially when everyone has a pretty fast serve now (don;t know the average - 120mph?).
Serve N Volley won't make a comeback unless the player actually S&V-ing is 100% sure of not being passed at the net - and as well as having big serves, a lot of baseliners can pass guys at the net with modern racquets strung with Luxillon....

North
06-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Sign me up. I'd love to see really fast grass at Wimbledon again.

dh003i
06-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah,let's to do it I'm sure All England Club will listen to our needs and change the grass LOL! The reason they changed the grass in the first place was because people were complaining about serve-fests(Goran-Krajicek semis come first to mind),now Goran is one of my favourite players but I understand how most people would find his matches on lightning fast grass boring.

Whatever it takes to get more S&V, I'm for. Wood rackets if need be.

dh003i
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Andy Murray was saying earlier today after his match at Queens that during the 2nd week, the surface at Wimbledon nowadays becomes very similar to that of hardcourts if there's a decent summer...

In contrast, the grass surface at Queens is a higher bounce....

I don't think using the old rye-grass is the solution - especially when everyone has a pretty fast serve now (don;t know the average - 120mph?).
Serve N Volley won't make a comeback unless the player actually S&V-ing is 100% sure of not being passed at the net - and as well as having big serves, a lot of baseliners can pass guys at the net with modern racquets strung with Luxillon....

There's always a chance of being passed, even in the old days of McEnroe. The issue is, can S&V be rewarding. Not is it infallible.

fastdunn
06-10-2008, 11:13 AM
I am not sure if they would do it. They have had great baseliners like Federer and Nadal for couple of years now. General public loves long rallys. They changed their surface exactly for what they have gotten now. What motivation do they have to change it back to quick, skiding surface ?

danb
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
what you think

of course it will be too late to do it this year but next year is always a possibility, if we can get enough signatures

LOL LOL LOL

beedlejuice22
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Wimbledon is way too proud to switch from what they think is good.

madmanfool
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
i would love if they speed it up
but what bothers me even more than the speed is that ridiculously high bounce these days.
The ball is supposed to skid through on grass, not sit up.

veroniquem
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I'll sign a petition to slow it down! :)

Blade0324
06-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I would be with veroniquem, let's slow it down just a bit and make if even a firmer surface than it is now so that the ball bounces even higher. BOOOOO to more S&V. Let's hope it stays dead!!!

Vision84
06-10-2008, 12:36 PM
People arguing that Wimbledon is better this way need to realize that all the other 3 slams are baseline fests so that it is reasonable to have 1 out of 4 slams on a fast surface.

Challenger
06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
i would love if they speed it up
but what bothers me even more than the speed is that ridiculously high bounce these days.
The ball is supposed to skid through on grass, not sit up.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't particularly favor one court over another...I enjoy the fact each is different, and I like them because of their uniqueness. Thus, turning Wimby into the current pathetic excuse for a grass court is blasphemous to me. Clay is slow and bouncy, grass should be fast and skidding. If you want it any other way, then just forgo the charades all together and turn Wimby into a clay court.

Nadal_Freak
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I'll sign a petition to slow it down! :)
I agree. :D Vamos

dh003i
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree. :D Vamos <to slowing down Wimbledon>

I hope you aren't serious, that's horrible.

I'm not asking anyone to speed up the FO, neither should clay-court fans want Wimbledon to be sped up.

DashaandSafin
06-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Wow why dont we all listen to the Nadal trolls and make every slam the same. Honestly reading you're pathetic replying makes me yearn for the old message board...where the only Nadal troll was VamosRafa...

Djokovicfan4life
06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I agree, it needs to be sped up. I wasn't watching tennis before 2002 unfortunately (or whenever they slowed it down), but I watched the Fed vs. Sampras match and it was awesome. Much better than the constant baseline bashing that I can see any day on clay or hardcourts anyway.

Djokovicfan4life
06-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Wimbledon is way too proud to switch from what they think is good.

They already did it once, didn't they? :confused:

bluetrain4
06-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I find the bounce more of an issue than the speed. Not that I really care, but slower (not necessarily slow) and low bouncing allows attacking play.