PDA

View Full Version : LM Prestiges getting a bit heavy

heartman
06-10-2008, 05:57 AM
I'm sure it's just me getting older, but my three Head LM Prestige's are getting more difficult to play. Feeling heavy and seemingly lacking power, I think I'm in the market for a slightly lighter racquet with similar playing characteristics.

That said, would any of you care to offer opinions on the Babolat AeroPro Drive w/Cortex, or the Head Extreme Pro as possible replacements? I have a full swing(from the old days), and have been successful with these low power sticks, but alas, I'm ready for an update to a racquet with more power. I'm 50, carry a bit of a Milwaukee tumor, with arm and shoulder issues(arthritis, carpal tunnel, and rotator cuff blah).

Have made progression to the LM's from POG mid from Dunlop M-Fil 200 and so forth. Really like the looks of the Babolat racquet, by the way...

rockbox
06-10-2008, 06:31 AM
The Babolats are going to feel drastically different from your prestiges. They feel very hollow to me and they are very stiff which is going to be bad for your shoulder and elbow on mishits.

Have you tried the Aerogel 300? It has more power than your previous racquets.

fuzz nation
06-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Which headsize of LM Prestige are you looking to replace? I've had both and the mid and midplus versions are two different animals.

War, Safin!
06-10-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm sure it's just me getting older, but my three Head LM Prestige's are getting more difficult to play. Feeling heavy and seemingly lacking power, I think I'm in the market for a slightly lighter racquet with similar playing characteristics.

That said, would any of you care to offer opinions on the Babolat AeroPro Drive w/Cortex, or the Head Extreme Pro as possible replacements? I have a full swing(from the old days), and have been successful with these low power sticks, but alas, I'm ready for an update to a racquet with more power. I'm 50, carry a bit of a Milwaukee tumor, with arm and shoulder issues(arthritis, carpal tunnel, and rotator cuff blah).

Have made progression to the LM's from POG mid from Dunlop M-Fil 200 and so forth. Really like the looks of the Babolat racquet, by the way...Weird - I thought the same thing after one particularly tough 2-hour match when I was using my LiquidMetal Prestige Mid (+ 15g of lead tape) last summer.
During the last 30 mins of the game, I started to struggle with it - felt sluggish, couldnt get the wrist-snap I usually do on serves and was mis-timing groundstrokes.

I switched back to my Classic Prestige which has a slightly different swingweight (I might be wrong there).

heartman
06-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Have used them both - currently hitting the LM Prestige Mid. MidPlus was a bit 'flighty' for me - had to weight the head to get the same feel as the mid.

furyoku_tennis
06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
try the microgel prestige mid. the slightly lower swingweight could be a good change.

hrstrat57
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
If you can find new ones(you'll need to be patient) any of the L5 Radicals might do the trick....pick up a used one on the big site...string to your specs....might fix your problem.

L5 would be ti radical mp, i radical mp(austria only) and radical tour 97 or 98....

Stay away from L4 chinese Radicals. You will hit those into the cheap seats.

I play the L6 i prestige MP, but have an austrian i radical mp L5 in the bag when/if I start to run out of gas just a bit. They are very hard to find however....been looking for another for a long time.

That's my .02

zapvor
06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Which headsize of LM Prestige are you looking to replace? I've had both and the mid and midplus versions are two different animals.

yea the mid and midplus are definitely not the same

zapvor
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
i want a iPrestige mp too

Deuce
06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
LM Prestiges getting a bit heavy
As long as I've been playing tennis - over 25 years - I've never heard of a racquet gaining weight on its own.

The racquet is not getting heavy. You're simply getting more weak.

Abriano
06-11-2008, 03:50 AM
As long as I've been playing tennis - over 25 years - I've never heard of a racquet gaining weight on its own.

The racquet is not getting heavy. You're simply getting more weak.

:shock::confused:

Supernatural_Serve
06-11-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm 50, carry a bit of a Milwaukee tumor, with arm and shoulder issues(arthritis, carpal tunnel, and rotator cuff blah).Milwaukee tumor...LOL

Those reasons alone regardless of weight are reason enough to retire the Prestige class racquets.

bluegrasser
06-11-2008, 04:56 AM

Have made progression to the LM's from POG mid from Dunlop M-Fil 200 and so forth. Really like the looks of the Babolat racquet, by the way...

If you like the prestige feel/flex, then try a MG Radical - same buttery feel yet lighter..

heartman
06-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Have no doubt my increasing physical limitations make my racquets feel heavier.

Even the 12-ounce curls that contribute to my Milwaukee tumor are starting to feel heavy...ok, that was supposed to be funny.

Ronaldo
06-11-2008, 05:59 AM
The Head Extreme Pro aggravated every problem in my wrist, hand, and elbow due to its stiffness. However, I used a Bab leather grip too.

fuzz nation
06-11-2008, 07:08 AM
If you're hooked on mids, there are a few of them around that might be better fits if you need to lighten up a little. The first one that comes to mind is the Becker 11 mid - haven't tried it yet, but there are some good reports going around on it so far. When I was crunching through my paces with the LMP mid and weathering a long adjustment period, I was also using the Prince NXG mid which turned out to be my civilized alternative to the Prestige. I still use the NXG mid and midplus for now with no real need to replace them.

Although they have a larger head, I also enjoy the Volkl C10's, too. They're hefty enough to be stable, but more maneuverable than the Heads and they also have a soft feel that I've gotten comfortable with in general. Bluegrasser had a good idea in terms of looking into the MG Radical, but if those are too light, you might also want to read up on the MG Prestige. Reports on that one so far seem to indicate that it's the best Prestige that Head has put out since the "i" generation.