PDA

View Full Version : Lead to make it handle heavy?

Autumnleaf
06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I own two yonex rds001 2008 version MidPlus. I'd like to add weight in the bottom of the handle but I don't think I can extract the buttcap. Is there an easier way to make the racquet handle heavy?

Matty G
06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Put it under the replacement grip or on the replacment grip and put an overgrip over the lead

Autumnleaf
06-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Currently I'm putting it over the replacement grip at the very bottom. It was an instinctive choice and I'd like to know if most of the guys here do it. A certain jdeloach customized the same racquet I own and I'd like to know how he added weight to the handle.

The Pure One
06-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Better put a leather grip and no need for lead. But, if lead is the only way, just put lead strips under at the bottom of the grip not over it.

Autumnleaf
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
anyone else?

TonyB
06-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Remove the grip, apply the lead tape to the bare handle, then reinstall the grip.

It's not rocket science.

Murray_Maniac
06-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Remove the grip, wrap lead tape around the handle near the buttcap, then put on a new grip. I did it, it works perfectly :)

Autumnleaf
06-11-2008, 03:58 AM
but how would one extract the buttcap and put it back

TonyB
06-11-2008, 06:37 PM
You don't. Just add the lead tape RIGHT ABOVE the buttcap.

Not to be a jerk, but I really don't see what's so difficult about this. As I said, it's not rocket science.

YULitle
06-11-2008, 08:15 PM
but how would one extract the buttcap and put it back

They are typically held down with staples. I'd suggest trying to remove them. OR, just do what's been said before, and just put it on the bare handle.

stules
06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
Tried a few different methods.
1. lead tape around the handle, then place the grip and overgrip on top. Didn't like the extra thickness of the grip. Also hard to get the lead real low on the handle, hence you need more lead.

2. Unstaped the buttcap. Epoxied lead into the hollow of the handle. Superglued the buttcap back on. This worked untill the lead vibrated loose. Rattle city. it did last a long time though.

3 Stuck lead strips onto th evey end of the buttcap (outside) , then covered it with tape (also tries some 5min epoxy which worked well, but once on it isn't fine tuneable) for health reasons. This worked well, and used the minimum mass of lead to achieve the balance needed.

Having said all that. I like adding lead to get the required SW/stability/sweetspot that I desire. But (and its a big full bodied but) , adding extra mass to the handle to make it more HL doesn't seem to make it any better. A few points more or less HL is very eas to adjust to, so i am inclined to not worry about it. Usually, when I get a set of raquets, I lead them to the desired SW, then try different lead positions and SW's above and below the base figure. Try each in turn, pick a favourite, then repeat again around that new base configuration. Within a short time you have a sweet handling stick.

flash9
06-12-2008, 05:39 AM
I own two yonex rds001 2008 version MidPlus. I'd like to add weight in the bottom of the handle but I don't think I can extract the buttcap. Is there an easier way to make the racquet handle heavy?

How much weight are you wanting to add? If if is more then 10 grams or so, the way everyone is suggesting will built up your grip at least one size larger, and I do not think you want to do that!

So how much weight are you wishing to add? :confused:

dallastxtennis
06-12-2008, 06:19 AM
You don't. Just add the lead tape RIGHT ABOVE the buttcap.

Not to be a jerk, but I really don't see what's so difficult about this. As I said, it's not rocket science.

Last time I purchased a LM from a TW member and discover there is lead tape wrap on the every end of the mold handle not on the butt cap end, is this acceptable ?

Autumnleaf
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM
about 9 grams

flash9
06-12-2008, 01:17 PM
about 9 grams

If you do not mind building up your grip the easiest way is applying 18 inches of 1/2 inch lead tape under the grip. This is also the easiest to reverse.