PDA

View Full Version : Federer Declined............

tennislover33
06-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Hello all,

I've been reading lots of threads about Fed lately. Many members on TW board here criticized Fed has always been choked when fighting against Nadal and or he's been too slow now and made too many errors....blah....blah....and he'll be no. 3 at the end of the year....etc....

Those are all TRUE OR MAY COME TRUE. But we forgot to appreciate what Fed had done for tennis and he dominated on the ATP tour for the past 4-5 years? 5 years with 12 SLAMS and many other titles......We can't deny this guy is a tennis GENIUS.

In the history of tennis, no one is the best and/or no. 1 forever. As years go by, we are getting older, we're slower and weaker.....same with Fed. He's 26 now comparing with Nadal 22 and Djokovic 21....they are and going to be at their peaks and will take over Fed's throne. Remember Fed was 4-5 years ago at Nadal and Djokovic's ages, he was just unbelievable.........Those shots that he made..........UNREAL !!!!!

I myself have always been Fed's fan. But the truth is the truth. Fed will not going to win at least 2 slams/year anymore. He still win one here and there once in a while. The way that Fed is playing right now just like an average top 10 ATP tour player. Looking back at all the matches he played in previous years......the way he moved to cover the court, all the fantasies shorts he made.............THOSE ARE NO LONGER EXIST. So Fed is just a normal human being and it seems like his time has passed.

The new rivalries will be NADAL AND DJOKOVIC. Sorry all the Fed's fan, I am sad to see Fed has been declined too..........but it's life.

BallzofSkill
06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
nadal is good? and djokovic is good too? and federer is slipping a bit? you don't say....

raiden031
06-10-2008, 09:26 AM
While I'm disappointed in his play lately, I think its too early to say that he's done and will never regain his previous level of play. At least he is clearly still top 3 material. So if the days of him being far above the rest might be over, he still may have a few GS titles ahead of him, although he will have to share a few with the other guys. I guess we will see what happens.

TheTruth
06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
While I'm disappointed in his play lately, I think its too early to say that he's done and will never regain his previous level of play. At least he is clearly still top 3 material. So if the days of him being far above the rest might be over, he still may have a few GS titles ahead of him, although he will have to share a few with the other guys. I guess we will see what happens.

You can never count out a champion, which is the same reason why no one is counting out Safin, but Federer's biggest challenge will be how he handles it mentally. From this point on the "aura" against the top echelon will not be enough. He is going to have to dig deep if he wants the French and the other two slams.

janipyt05
06-10-2008, 09:44 AM
People who really follow tennis can never forget nor not appreciate what Fed has done for the game, people want to be the first to say i noticed Feds decline, so are inclined to start these threads, is it true, i'm not sure but this year has not been too stellar for the worlds best, for me losing Wimbledon anything before the final will be when i can agree that a decline has started anything else i don't believe it. Even if a decline has started i expect Fed to fight it all the way still picking up titles and doing great things. Champions don't just fall off.

zagor
06-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah,Wimbledon will be very important for Fed this year,much more then before.

TheTruth
06-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah,Wimbledon will be very important for Fed this year,much more then before.

Take heart that this is exactly what happened to Pete. He was stuck on 12 majors too. He had a bit of a decline before breaking the record, but dug in, held on, and eventually prevailed.

zagor
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Take heart that this is exactly what happened to Pete. He was stuck on 12 majors too. He had a bit of a decline before breaking the record, but dug in, held on, and eventually prevailed.

Yeah but Sampras had the best serve ever which could still win him a ton of free points and the surfaces were faster in his time but I still believe in Fed and think he can equal or break Pete's record.

dh003i
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
People are jumping the gun, the same people who predicted Federer would be done before the clay-season; who predicted he would have a bad clay-season, not make finals, etc. All wrong. But hey, if they keep predicting the same thing over and over -- decline -- eventually they'll be right; then they'll try to give everyone a bunch of BS and say, "they called it". Non-sense.

And the talk about mental strength is over-rated, hyped. What did Courrier's mental strength get him after his game was figured out? Nothing. It's easy to be mentally strong when you're the better player, playing on your best surface, out-classing the other guy. But Nadal has had plenty of times on HC season -- such as against Tsonga -- when he looked completely defeated and dis-spirited. Sampras displayed some negative body language against Federer in their Wimbledon match. So what?

Dash
06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
If he can repeat what Pete did late in his career, he will the GOAT in my book.

wilsonplayer
06-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I understand that the past 5 or 6 months Federer has slipped a little. But I mean, i don't understand why everyone's so quick to say that he'll "win one here and win one there" when he got to the semis of the oz and the final of the RG. I think you need to wait and see wimby, where he's the huge favorite, and if he loses there then there has to be serious questioning as to the longevity of him being the best player in the world. He clearly is setting his sights on 14 GS and i think we should judge him in these tournaments, as that is where he will try to play his best tennis.

On another note, I don't think you can compare Sampras getting his 14 and a late age to Federer if he gets 14 at a late age. Sampras still has one of the best serves ever and Federer, while he has an excellent serve, does not rely on it, but relies on movement, power, and finesse, which are characteristics that are denoted by being younger (with the exception of finesse I guess)

barry
06-10-2008, 10:36 AM
You have to laugh when you read Federer is slipping. In 2007, he won the Australian, Wimbledon, and the U.S. Open. Then got mono, makes it to the Semi of the Australian and the final of the French open.

If that is slipping, most pros do not accomplish that in a career.

Federer drops a level when he hires a coach. He should go back to just him, the girlfriend, and a trainer. I think all the people are a distraction.

TheTruth
06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
If he can repeat what Pete did late in his career, he will the GOAT in my book.

True, but only Federer knows what he will do. The whole world is waiting to see which path he takes!

ExPro
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Hello all,

I've been reading lots of threads about Fed lately. Many members on TW board here criticized Fed has always been choked when fighting against Nadal and or he's been too slow now and made too many errors....blah....blah....and he'll be no. 3 at the end of the year....etc....

Those are all TRUE OR MAY COME TRUE. But we forgot to appreciate what Fed had done for tennis and he dominated on the ATP tour for the past 4-5 years? 5 years with 12 SLAMS and many other titles......We can't deny this guy is a tennis GENIUS.

In the history of tennis, no one is the best and/or no. 1 forever. As years go by, we are getting older, we're slower and weaker.....same with Fed. He's 26 now comparing with Nadal 22 and Djokovic 21....they are and going to be at their peaks and will take over Fed's throne. Remember Fed was 4-5 years ago at Nadal and Djokovic's ages, he was just unbelievable.........Those shots that he made..........UNREAL !!!!!

I myself have always been Fed's fan. But the truth is the truth. Fed will not going to win at least 2 slams/year anymore. He still win one here and there once in a while. The way that Fed is playing right now just like an average top 10 ATP tour player. Looking back at all the matches he played in previous years......the way he moved to cover the court, all the fantasies shorts he made.............THOSE ARE NO LONGER EXIST. So Fed is just a normal human being and it seems like his time has passed.

The new rivalries will be NADAL AND DJOKOVIC. Sorry all the Fed's fan, I am sad to see Fed has been declined too..........but it's life.

I alluded to this in an earlier thread in the spring. I said that the cracks in RF's game were starting to show late last year and that he would not win another GS singles. if you knew what to look for it was quite obvious he was just starting to slide. Of course it was met with derision by all the fans of RF. The reality is as great a player as one is, one can only sustain a level of dominance for so long. Roger Federer is a great player and he will win tournaments but the days when he was winning GS's and double figures in events played are gone. He will not win another grand slam singles event. Sorry to all the fans but come september, after the USO you'll see.

Nadal_Freak
06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I think a lot of people are in denial here. Yes he is slipping and very rapidly.

Dash
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
At the beginning I doubted it was the mono, because if someone has a serious viral infection, forget the 5 set win over Tips. You can try to play some serious tennis next time you start recovering from a flu. Your body will response to stress dramatically different, the first thing you feel may be not the sluggish but the heart beat. Your all blood vessels are circulating the cytokines induced by the viral.

And it becomes more clear now, he lost his confidence and the field starts to figure out tendency of Roger's shot seletion.

I do think he needs a coach to share the pressure and help him focus.

You have to laugh when you read Federer is slipping. In 2007, he won the Australian, Wimbledon, and the U.S. Open. Then got mono, makes it to the Semi of the Australian and the final of the French open.

If that is slipping, most pros do not accomplish that in a career.

Federer drops a level when he hires a coach. He should go back to just him, the girlfriend, and a trainer. I think all the people are a distraction.

fastdunn
06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Federer achieved the utmost high level of tennis and he is still there. Maybe he got old just a touch but he is still up there. He is basically in exactly same position of 2005 for this year. It's just some other young players are approaching rapidly.

I think Federer will win French Open some day.
I think Federer probably will break Sampras' record of 14 slams.
But I don't think he will break Sampras' record of 6 year-end #1 record.

danb
06-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I understand that the past 5 or 6 months Federer has slipped a little. But I mean, i don't understand why everyone's so quick to say that he'll "win one here and win one there" when he got to the semis of the oz and the final of the RG. I think you need to wait and see wimby, where he's the huge favorite, and if he loses there then there has to be serious questioning as to the longevity of him being the best player in the world. He clearly is setting his sights on 14 GS and i think we should judge him in these tournaments, as that is where he will try to play his best tennis.

On another note, I don't think you can compare Sampras getting his 14 and a late age to Federer if he gets 14 at a late age. Sampras still has one of the best serves ever and Federer, while he has an excellent serve, does not rely on it, but relies on movement, power, and finesse, which are characteristics that are denoted by being younger (with the exception of finesse I guess)

You are making valid points here...

coloskier
06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
People were saying the same thing last year at this time, and he actually won more points in clay tournaments this year than he did last year.

DashaandSafin
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
But the problem is Nadal didnt lose any...

herosol
06-10-2008, 09:14 PM
But the problem is Nadal didnt lose any...

yea that's because God instills himself in Nadal on clay.

I don't think if you guys noticed it. It's absolutely unfair to play Nadal on clay.
I've already thrown at this one notion:

"NO NADAL ON CLAY!"

:p

Djokovicfan4life
06-10-2008, 09:20 PM
A search revealed nothing on this topic?

tennis-hero
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
the slip isn't recent

its been coming for a while

there were signs

last year at Wimbledon, getting taken 5 sets by Nadal

this year djokvic is strong, and will be a bigger threat then Nadal at wimbeldon

im a fed fan, but even i see he chokes against Nadal on clay

hes never been under such pressure in his career

he doesnt have that ice cold attitude sampras had, plus sampras not only had free point on his first serve, sampras had the greatest second serve in history, he practically had free point always

different type of player... ive been wondering who would win between them on grass... i think i gotta say, i'd go with sampras on grass (when they were both at their peaks)

roundiesee
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I think we are sometimes too harsh. Fed is bound to slow down with age, that's inevitable. He lost badly on a day that he did not play well. Nadal was superb on a surface that he excels. Both are brilliant players, both should be given their due credit, Fed for reaching 3 finals and 1 semi, and Nadal for winning 4 straight. Fed fans should not be too glum, all he can do is try his best but unfortunately his best was not good enough on the day. In the words of Boris (when he lost to Peter Doohan)- "No one died, it's just a tennis match".....

HappyAndFriendlyAlways
06-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Hello all,

humm are you Nadal or Joker? haha just kidding man.

Dark_Angel85
06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
To me, Federer is just 26++ and has a good few years left in him. Many of the top players won't sustain #1 class matches for too long. The fact that he did it for the past 300++ weeks is already amazing. He will decline definitely as age catches up, but I still feel he's a contender for a few more slams in him.

Just like how Sampras came back to win a US Open when he was 33... or 34?

and Agassi.... in the Aussies....

:)

cueboyzn
06-10-2008, 11:41 PM
People are jumping the gun, the same people who predicted Federer would be done before the clay-season; who predicted he would have a bad clay-season, not make finals, etc. All wrong. But hey, if they keep predicting the same thing over and over -- decline -- eventually they'll be right; then they'll try to give everyone a bunch of BS and say, "they called it". Non-sense.

Exactly my thoughts as well. And I copy from my post yesterday to Nadal_Freak (another one of the Fed-haters on these boards):-

Of course, it is inevitable that Federer will one day eventually lose the number 1 spot. This does not mean he will not win more Slams. And it will not change the fact he has got the longest unbroken run at the top of the rankings in the history of the game.. which is still counting as we speak.

I have to laught at posts like yours. People like you have been predicting Fed would lose the No.1 ranking for years. So you just predict the same thing year after year.. and even if Fed proved you all wrong 3 years running there will come one year when these "predictions" eventually "come true". and when that happens all the Fed haters will say: look i predicted it!! Its like predicting its going to rain lol.. you can go outside look toward the sky and say: I predict it will rain today! but days go by with no precipitation. But you just keep going out there every day and predicting to whoever will listen that it will rain today.. eventually one day you will have your "prediction" come true.. LOL :twisted:

Dijana Djokovic
06-11-2008, 07:31 AM
i said it last year but people dont want to see reality. the king is dead. long live the new king!

rocket
06-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I myself have always been Fed's fan. But the truth is the truth. Fed will not going to win at least 2 slams/year anymore. He still win one here and there once in a while. The way that Fed is playing right now just like an average top 10 ATP tour player.

He'll bounce back. He still can win 2 slams/year. He just has to get lean & mean again.

Melissa
06-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Nadal fan here. But only injuries could keep Fed from surpassing pete's slam record.
(like Fed too)

raiden031
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM
i said it last year but people dont want to see reality. the king is dead. long live the new king!

Even though I think fed's dominance might be at an end, I don't think djokovic will be the king. Instead the three of them might have to share the dominance. Worst case, its just Nadal and Djoker at the top.

ninman
06-11-2008, 08:35 AM

You don't want to see reality, so I'll tell you how it is, you're an arrogant *****, now in the words of Federer "Be quiet, ok?"

fednad
06-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Even though I think fed's dominance might be at an end, I don't think djokovic will be the king. Instead the three of them might have to share the dominance. Worst case, its just Nadal and Djoker at the top.

Mama Djoker, Good morning.
We all have been missing you since days. Were you busy giving press conferences?

zagor
06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Nadal fan here. But only injuries could keep Fed from surpassing pete's slam record.
(like Fed too)

Nadal fan who also likes Fed!?! I'm stunned.

David L
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Federer's not declining. His level of play remains good and will continue to improve like everyone else's while he is motivated, fit and healthy. He had mono at the start of the year and a mini sabbatical, which affected his performance and fitness, now he is healthy again and fit. He has posted good results considering, and had a very good clay season, better than last year. You cannot expect a player to post exactly the the same results and score lines from year to year, it's impossible. Each day and each set of circumstances is new. From here, Federer looks good and still remains the No.1 player in the world, with a nice margin.