PDA

View Full Version : BANCROFT DROP WEIGHT - GLIDE BARS? ANY RECOLECTIONS OF THIS

stevens
03-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Any long time stringers recall the Bancroft drop weight-glide bar machine? This is a 2 point system. I was curious if I could string current frames on this?

Gaines Hillix
03-26-2004, 04:59 AM
I am not familiar with that particular machine, but my guess is that you would be able to string mid and mid-plus frames with normal string patterns on it. It would probably have problems with some oversized racquets, ones with fan string patterns or ones that have unusual construction at the throat of the frame.

coachrick
03-26-2004, 09:26 AM
I owned a Bancroft machine in 1981...imagine an early proto of the Ektelon series--sharp corners, cumbersome clamps, etc. All-in-all, the Bancroft was as capable as most machines of the era--just not very 'polished'. I didn't care for the clamping system that required tightening a T-handle to clamp the string--tough on the hands after a while. Might be fun to play around with--wouldn't want to string for a tournament on it!

stevens
03-26-2004, 10:18 AM
:? What is a T handle/clamp--does it look like a long straight bar on the back side of the glide clamp? I was thinking of purchasing a Bancroft one but the clamping sys doesn't accomodate a 110".

coachrick
03-26-2004, 11:56 AM
As I recall, the mechanism used to tighten the clamp on the string was a T-handle, twist-type situation...too small to get comfortable leverage. The shorter glide bars will not reach the end of mains on an oversize frame(not a huge problem) and MAY not slide far enough to allow clamping of the last cross or two(calling for a fair amount of finesse to complete the string job). Ektelon addressed this problem with their extended glide bars but I do not know if they can fit the Bancroft. Good luck.

Fortylove
03-26-2004, 12:25 PM
I can email a couple of pictures if you would like them